Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Replacement on Class A Goodyear or Michelin

new_class_a
Explorer
Explorer
Tire replacement on Class A Goodyear or Michelin

I'm told its time to replace the tires on my 2007 38 ft Fleetwood Expedition even though there is only 18000 miles on the Goodyear G670 RV 225/70R22.5 on the rig. I have several questions I am considering changing to Michelin Tires since the out the door price for all 6 is $1000 cheaper than the Goodyear along with the fact a few of my friends say the ride on the Michelins is much smoother. Is the Michelin tire as reliable as the goodyear and will it work on my rig.I have read a couple of other forums where there was concern for the early year Michelins but found nothing very current. I am going to be heading to Yellowstone in June and do not want to take a chance on the old tires for the 40000 mile trip. Thanks for any help.
57 REPLIES 57

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Snomas wrote:
On my 3rd set of Michelins and never had a problem, but I change them every 5-6K miles!! Better safe than sorry!

You mean every five to six years. Right?
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
On my 3rd set of Michelins and never had a problem, but I change them every 5-6K miles!! Better safe than sorry!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

03_RoadKing
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my 2 cents worth. My first coach had XRV's and I had 2 zipper blow outs, my second coach had XRV's and I had a blow out. Since I run Michelin on all my other vehicles I put 6 new Michelin's on the coach but put on XZE's and haven't regretted it. With the XZE's I can run lower pressure to carry the same weight which gives a softer ride. Mileage isn't really an issue with RV tires so for me it boils down to what I have the most confidence in and for me it's Michelin. Good luck with your decision.
Jim and Deb
The Furchildren Abby and Baylee
USAF Retired
2001 Newmar Mountain Aire

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Actually the tires have very little to do with the ride. The smooth ride is all determined by the shock absorbers and the type of suspension you have on your coach. Because if a coach is pulling to one side or the other that could be caused by weight distribution or some mechanical adjustment that needs to be done. If your tires are wearing uneven it could be weak shocks, If they are rivering, you might need cambering. But the smoothness of a ride is 90% on the type of shocks you have and the airbags or leaf springs etc. Tire has very little to do with the comfort.

I have had tires on my coach that needed to be changed out because of side wall cracks, but the ride was just as good as the new tires.
2017 Buick Envision

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my Michelins (they were on my MH when I bought it with DOT date 11th week of 2004) and I put over 45,000 miles in 8 years. They were very good tires and if I could afford them I’d have gone back to Michelin but the many excellent reviews on this forum and my truck mechanic’s praise of Hankook tires (he doesn’t sell tires) led me away from Michelin and save over $500. I got 6 tires with DOT dates of November 2012. Time will tell if they work out as good as the Michelin.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

doubleG
Explorer
Explorer
Still running original G670's on drive/tag and bought Michelin XZA2's ENERGY for up front after GY probs. Bought thru FMCA and what a ride dif!!!!! Smooth and will replace rest when needed with Michelins.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
glen68 wrote:
Just replaced my goodyear G670's with michelin xrv's purchased thru fmca. There is a very big improvement in the ride.

Glen

Well of course there's and improvement in the ride! :S Any new tire will ride better than an old one. I see this statement everytime time this tire subject comes up and it just doesn't make sense.

Put on an "old" set of Michelins and see if they ride better than the "old" set of Goodyears!

Me...I'm going with Hankooks next time and I bet they too will ride better than my old G670s. 😉

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
USMC46 wrote:
When we bought our coach, it needed new tires. I had a friend who had just sold his FIVE Goodyear stores and retired. I called him and asked his advice on which tires to buy, Goodyear or Michelins as they were the two brands I was most familiar with. He did not hesitate. He advised that over the years he had sold both brands and had seen many tire failures and by far, Goodyears failed more often than Michelins. He said Michelin simply had a better tire making process and if it was his coach, he would without question go with Michelins. I did and always will, even if it costs a little more.

Michelin are a good tire. I had them on my coach when it was new and I never had a blow out with them even though I had the famous XRV which had a reputation of blowing up. But right at the five year mark I noticed that the tires started to get small cracks all over the side walls. I called Michelin corporate office to let them know what was happening with the tires on my coach. They told me to take it to a Michelin dealer to check them out. I did and they brought out a gauge to check the depth of the cracks and they said they were ok to go. When I got back home, I changed them out for Toyo tires. The Toyo tires are rated H and it seems like they are a much better tire then the Michelin. They ride real smooth and they wear even across the tread of the tire. Naturally I understand that wear on a tire can be caused by other mechanical factors, but after fifty thousand miles the tires on my coach are still looking like new and wearing even.
2017 Buick Envision

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our coach, it needed new tires. I had a friend who had just sold his FIVE Goodyear stores and retired. I called him and asked his advice on which tires to buy, Goodyear or Michelins as they were the two brands I was most familiar with. He did not hesitate. He advised that over the years he had sold both brands and had seen many tire failures and by far, Goodyears failed more often than Michelins. He said Michelin simply had a better tire making process and if it was his coach, he would without question go with Michelins. I did and always will, even if it costs a little more.
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk With Factory Tow Package

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
peaches&cream wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
peaches&cream wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I'm buying 6 new Michelins for my RV in May, and I'm going to use the FMCA Michelin Advantage plan. Did you know that the Space Shuttles (all of them) used Michelin Tires when they were in service! Good Luck with your new tires.

Maybe the reason the "Space Shuttle" is no longer flying. COST TOO MUCH :h
I don't understand the negative Michelin Space Shuttle jab? Anything that went on those shuttles were awarded to the LOWEST bidder! Ask anyone that worked for NASA! Michelin actually took a loss selling to NASA, but gained a lot of experience and knowledge for Michelins Research & Development Department on heavy aircraft tires.

Did not mean for it to be negative. Just ask the question about price. Since they are the highest price RV tire you can purchase, just assumed they were the highest price "Space Shuttle" tire. I guess if all the manufactures that provide parts for the shuttle, lost money on there parts, it may still be flying? HUH
One of the reasons why Michelin Tires are so expensive is because the are American Made! I've had posters on this site say that Michelin tires are not American and that maybe true! I emailed Michelin last week and got a call from a Michelin Rep. from New York the next day. I asked him where my tires were made? He had me go out to my coach and read a code on the outside of the tire and the plant number on the outside of the tire was B6. The Michelin Rep told me that my tires were made at Spartanburg, South Carolina, U.S.A. he also told me once in a while if the factory is back ordered Michelin will have some tires shipped down from Canada to fill the void not China. He also told me that Michelin has a Western Region Warehouse in Reno, Nevada to supply the Western U.S. I asked him if Michelin had a plant in China and he told me yes and that Michelin does not ship any tires from China. Those tires are for Chinese applications mostly bicycle, motorcycle, car tires. The truck tires made in China stay in China. Michelin operates 18 plants in North America, there a 7.25 Billion Dollar a year Company that employs 22,270 people. I hope this clears the air where Michelin Tires are made and why they cost more.

If something costs more does that make it better :h
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
peaches&cream wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
peaches&cream wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I'm buying 6 new Michelins for my RV in May, and I'm going to use the FMCA Michelin Advantage plan. Did you know that the Space Shuttles (all of them) used Michelin Tires when they were in service! Good Luck with your new tires.

Maybe the reason the "Space Shuttle" is no longer flying. COST TOO MUCH :h
I don't understand the negative Michelin Space Shuttle jab? Anything that went on those shuttles were awarded to the LOWEST bidder! Ask anyone that worked for NASA! Michelin actually took a loss selling to NASA, but gained a lot of experience and knowledge for Michelins Research & Development Department on heavy aircraft tires.

Did not mean for it to be negative. Just ask the question about price. Since they are the highest price RV tire you can purchase, just assumed they were the highest price "Space Shuttle" tire. I guess if all the manufactures that provide parts for the shuttle, lost money on there parts, it may still be flying? HUH
One of the reasons why Michelin Tires are so expensive is because the are American Made! I've had posters on this site say that Michelin tires are not American and that maybe true! I emailed Michelin last week and got a call from a Michelin Rep. from New York the next day. I asked him where my tires were made? He had me go out to my coach and read a code on the outside of the tire and the plant number on the outside of the tire was B6. The Michelin Rep told me that my tires were made at Spartanburg, South Carolina, U.S.A. he also told me once in a while if the factory is back ordered Michelin will have some tires shipped down from Canada to fill the void not China. He also told me that Michelin has a Western Region Warehouse in Reno, Nevada to supply the Western U.S. I asked him if Michelin had a plant in China and he told me yes and that Michelin does not ship any tires from China. Those tires are for Chinese applications mostly bicycle, motorcycle, car tires. The truck tires made in China stay in China. Michelin operates 18 plants in North America, there a 7.25 Billion Dollar a year Company that employs 22,270 people. I hope this clears the air where Michelin Tires are made and why they cost more.

happycamper1949
Explorer
Explorer
We are replacing our 7 year old XZE 275/80R22.5 michelins because of sidewall cracking with the same size XZE2 tires. They are expensive but I have had good luck with them over the years.

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced the Goodyears with Toyos. I wanted Michelins but the tire store I went to was $1,000 cheaper than Michelin. The Goodyears were rving on the front tires. I inspected the rear tires after they were taken off and all 4 rear were starting to do the same thing.I had them bead balanced. Have only driven them about 12 miles but they seam to ride much better than Goodyear.
2008 Damon Challenger 378 on Workhorse chassis, 2008 HHR panel toad.

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
Put six new Hankooks on last year. Great ride and handling. No more Goodyears!

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
Put 6 new Hankook tires on our 2005 GeorgieBoy 35'. No more Goodyear!!!
Great tires--ride and handling.