cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire rotation with duals

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
Do most owners of RV's with dual rear wheels get their tires rotated regularly? If so, what is the rotation pattern? I will appreciate any feedback.
20 REPLIES 20

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin is recommending same side rotation - nice animation
http://www.michelin.ca/tires-101/tire-care/tire-maintenance/tire-rotation.page

I don't do it, either. Maybe on vehicles with separate winter and summer tires, if I happen to mark the previous position.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wayne Dohnal wrote:
In my case at Discount Tire, they just treated the wheels the same as with standard stems, using their standard spin balance machine. The only added risk I saw is that it's easy to accidentally whack the long stem with one of the tools when mounting and dismounting a tire. One of my stems died an early death from this.

That was my experience as far as Discount's equipment and people being able to spin balance rear duals with the long stems on the inners. Same experience with a long stem getting damaged, except it was my fault. I was doing brake work when I realized it needed tires, so I loaded the wheels in my pickup and took them over there. One got away coming off the tailgate. Naturally it was one with a long stem and naturally it landed on the stem side. Bent it bad, took on a J-shape.

This is where I re-doubled my support of the Borg Dually Valves. I called and asked if I could get just one valve. Yes, what was my invoice number. Didn't have one, but they'd still send a replacement at no cost. I asked if they'd air-express it and invoice me for the shipping. They did exactly that. CA to FL the next day but no invoice. I called and they had a record of what they paid FedEx, so I charged that amount and took the stem over to Discount. They didn't charge for the extra work and what looked like disaster came out as moderate inconvenience and minimal expense.

Borg's Webpage
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
chinrv wrote:
I've asked this before on other threads, but no answers. For those of you that have installed the Dually or Borg valves, how does the tire store balance those particular wheels with the long valve stems?
In my case at Discount Tire, they just treated the wheels the same as with standard stems, using their standard spin balance machine. The only added risk I saw is that it's easy to accidentally whack the long stem with one of the tools when mounting and dismounting a tire. One of my stems died an early death from this.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't rotated an tires in the lat 50 years on anything.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
Considering that the tires will age out long before they wear out, I don't rotate my tires.
The same goes for me. By the time our tires are worn unevenly to the point of concern, they will be 12 years old.

I recommend to leave the rear tires alone to wear as they do to remain settled into their paired relationship. Disturbing that could place more weight on one tire with more thread, over the other tire with less thread.

The fronts tires are much more forgiving with each other. I personally don't see a benefit to rotate the fronts with each other, but no harm either.

On our old Toyota chassis rig front tires, I flipped them each on their respective wheel. Though we had a good alignment, there was some strange dynamics going on there. More thread on the outside of the front tires made for better cornering in the canyons and mountains. I have not yet seen the same issue with our E350 chassis.

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
We don't wear our tires out. They get replaced do to age but they have most of their tread left and no signs of abnormal wear so no need to rotate. We used to rotate all 6, our tire dealer does it for free as a part of the care he provides for purchasing tires from him, but we stopped rotating when I realized it really wasn't necessary.
In the 2015 ford F250-550 owners manual Ford recommends rotating side to side front and back for DRWs and to not break up the dually pairs.

2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

chinrv
Explorer
Explorer
I've asked this before on other threads, but no answers. For those of you that have installed the Dually or Borg valves, how does the tire store balance those particular wheels with the long valve stems?

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I only rotate tires on anything as needed. Usually less frequently than recommended by mfg. Yes to even out tread wear if tread wear is a limiting factor. Also in some cases to prevent tire noise. The motorhome will probably get the fewest rotations of my vehicles. I fully expect to condemn the tires due to age prior to the worst one wearing out. My only expectation to rotate them would be if the front tires unexpectedly develop heavy cupping, feathering, or some other issue which leads to noise or poor ride/handling. In that case I'd probably rotate them front to back. I've seen no signs of these issues so far.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many of us don't rotate the rear duals at all. Having custom valve stems like Borg Dually Valve or Tire Man limits the possibilities. Taking the Right pair to the Left and Left pair to right is about the only option. I haven't done that...
...but Fronts and Spare have the same valve stems, and I do rotate those. Like CloudDriver said, gets some use out of the spare, probably helps equalize wear on fronts and rears...
...but most of us won't wear an RV tire out to begin with. Age will take over first.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the Michelin website. They recommend rotation every 6K - 8K miles. There are 2 different patterns you can use.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't rotate the tires by position, as most others, since their lifespan is not limited by treadwear in any way.

I do rotate the tires around their axis every single time I move the motorhome; failing to do so leads to very rapid and uneven treadwear (and very bad gas milage). :B

I just got back from the tire store an hour or so ago to price out a set of tires, as chance would have it. I probably would have waited another year, but had an unfortunate incident with a curb that put a nice deep divot in a sidewall...so rather than have a single mismatched tire to contend with (and trying to figure out how to distribute the others sensibly), I figured it was time. The tread still looks practically new.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, I don't rotate them regularly or at all. They're wearing nice and evenly back there.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I rotate the front tires with the spare to give the spare some use. The rear duals stay where they are until new tires are needed.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most people don't rotate, nor even have them rebalanced.

However, not being most people, I rotate when I have 'em rebalanced at around and interval of 10Kmiles. As the '99 ford chassis has identical wheels on all 6 positions, I rotate thus:
Left front to left outside dual
Left outside dual to left inside dual
Left inside dual to left front

Likewise for the right side.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L