cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Trade-in Value

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone gotten a "trade-in value" for their tires? Here is the situation.

I have 6 Michelin XRV 225/70R19.5 tires on our RV with about 25,000 miles. Date code is 4904 - so they will have their 10th birthday in a few months.

They maintain their inflation exceptionally well (add air every 3 YEARS or so - probably due to air lost when I read tire pressure frequently), they are stored inside a steel building resting on concrete, and they have not suffered any injury that I know about.

Every summer I have them inspected by a Michelin dealer. Each time he has said they are in great shape - no need to replace them. I was told that again this year.

I contacted the Michelin factory representative. He recommended replacing due to aging (10 years). He said the tires can look fine, but at this age they can rapidly deteriorate over the course of a few hundred miles.

My Michelin dealer is ordering the tires for me (FMCA Advantage program). Should I seek any value from these great tires on trade for the new tires? Is there a market for these used tires at all?

Thanks for your advice!
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....
34 REPLIES 34

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
Deano56 wrote:
I agree with the one poster, why would you sell someone a tire that you think is unsafe, I see used tires all the time on eBay and most of the time they say lots of tread but don't know how old. If you want to sell them offer a warrentee, I think the seller should be liable for something as important as tires. You can buy double coins for less than 200.00 for a 19.5 tire if the funds aren't there

A tire blowout that could cause $5K in damage to a nice MH may be very fine for farm trucks and many other applications.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I usually trade in my tires at around 50,000 miles, which, using our normal travels, amounts to every 3-4 years. My trade in has varied between $100-150 per tire. My tires have not aged out and they certainly are not worn out but I prefer the ride and reliability of newer tires. There is nothing obviously wrong with my trade-in tires but neither I nor anyone else can tell what will happen in the next 10 miles. The dealer that gives me the trade in value for my tires will sell those tires to someone at a price that the buyer is happy with and they may provide safe service for another 50,000 miles or they may fail as he drives down the road tomorrow. The dealer can't tell for sure and I don't care since they are not my tires any longer. If you have read this forum very often, you will hear about owners that have had blowouts with fairly new tires. You will also read about people that have used tires for 12 years without a problem. The facts are that no one can say when a tire will fail, whether you own it or the next buyer owns it.

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Deano56 wrote:
Well, I guess I hit a soft spot, I don't sell used tires, nor do I sell a car with bad brake or ;the front end ready to fall apart, I give them away or throw them out. I don't need that little bit of money, to wonder if they will hold together for someone going down the road. You guys do what youwant
I think you're over-reacting a bit. A serviceable tire, that still has useful life at slow speeds and low weights, is not the same thing as bad brakes or mechanical parts about to fail. One is simply being re-purposed, the other is obviously unsafe at its expected use. Tires are HUGE landfill problems, as not nearly enough get recycled into sandals and welcome mats. Most end up in acre-size piles that catch fire every now and then and burn for three weeks with a noxious, deadly plume.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
mfox20 wrote:

Lots of folks out there that can't afford 300.00 a tire.

300 a tire !?!? i assume you're not talking about OTR 22.5 inch tires, if you are tell us more cause we'd love to find GOOD / NEW tires for that price (instead of the near or over 700 dollar price most pay)
I paid just $400/ea last fall for new Hankook AH-12 275R70-22.5. IMO, a better tire than the overhyped, over priced Michelin.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
mfox20 wrote:

300 a tire !?!? i assume you're not talking about OTR 22.5 inch tires, if you are tell us more cause we'd love to find GOOD / NEW tires for that price (instead of the near or over 700 dollar price most pay)
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
Sold 3 sets over the last 8 years on Craigslist. Got 75.00 each on one set and 50.00 each for the other two sets. Lots of calls and had them sold within a couple of days each time. Most were using them for smaller delivery type vehicles or for spares. Had one buyer pay freight to have them shipped out of state. All of them were 8-10 years old.

I just put them back in the flow......how they use them is their business.
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
replaced my almost 12 yo goodyears at Les Schwab, they gave me $30.00/tire.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

Our_Ride
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced 6 Michelins 255/80R22.5 date code 2006 in June and we ordered them through Costco and were glad to get a date code of 2014. We took them to a tire dealer to dismount, balanced, and remounted the new ones. They wanted 10.00 per tire to dispose of them. We said "No Thanks" and brought them home. Listed them on Craigs List for $600.(one hundred each)and must have gotten 15 calls. We sold them for the listed price in just 2 days. They were going to use them as tag axle tires on his dump truck and was tickled to get them. So were we! We live in Chesterfield, Virginia.

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I guess I hit a soft spot, I don't sell used tires, nor do I sell a car with bad brake or ;the front end ready to fall apart, I give them away or throw them out. I don't need that little bit of money, to wonder if they will hold together for someone going down the road. You guys do what youwant

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
Deano56 wrote:
JimFromJersey wrote:
I can't see any real danger in mounting "used" but serviceable tires that come off a M/H on some low-speed, light weight vehicle like a farm trailer or such. It's one thing to take 10 year old tires off a 20,000 pound M/H and put them right back on another 20,000 pound vehicle, but something entirely different to put them on a farm wagon hauling kids around the pumpkin patch or something at 4 mph...
as long as you are sure that's where they are headed, in that case give them, don't be greedy

why is it Jim's responsibility to know where the tires are "headed" ??
It may not be a legal responsibility, but Karma's a *****, as they say. And, to answer the first question, as long as the the tires have some value to the new owner, why should I GIVE them away? Nothing greedy about getting value for value. Now, if I charged the new owner the same price I paid for them a dozen years ago, THAT might be a bit over the top...
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Deano56 wrote:
I agree with the one poster, why would you sell someone a tire that you think is unsafe, I see used tires all the time on eBay and most of the time they say lots of tread but don't know how old. If you want to sell them offer a warrentee, I think the seller should be liable for something as important as tires. You can buy double coins for less than 200.00 for a 19.5 tire if the funds aren't there

you sell them because someone WANTS them - why should i give someone anything ?
just because it has limited value to me doesnt mean its worthless.

do you offer a warrantee on anything when you sell it ? your house ? your used old car ? old furniture ? your old fridge ?
NO, because you cant be certain what someone else is going to do w/ it, how they'll maintain it or care for it.

if you sell a used tire and someone runs over debris and blows the tire how is that the SELLERs fault ? maybe you should find the person that dropped the nail in the road or the builder of the road !
Don R.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Deano56 wrote:
JimFromJersey wrote:
I can't see any real danger in mounting "used" but serviceable tires that come off a M/H on some low-speed, light weight vehicle like a farm trailer or such. It's one thing to take 10 year old tires off a 20,000 pound M/H and put them right back on another 20,000 pound vehicle, but something entirely different to put them on a farm wagon hauling kids around the pumpkin patch or something at 4 mph...
as long as you are sure that's where they are headed, in that case give them, don't be greedy

why is it Jim's responsibility to know where the tires are "headed" ??
Don R.

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
JimFromJersey wrote:

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer