cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires again

mscamping
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to get new steer tires, maybe.. These are 5 1/2 years old by manufacture date and we hate to head South for the winter on them, are we being foolish?? They are GY 670.. I can't see the price for Michelins.. We won't get GY's again.. We didn't, so far, have any trouble with them, except we couldn't get them to run smooth.. What's anyones thoughts.. Thanks for your replies.. Mike Mathews..
They are covered all the time we're parked, and treated with 303 about every 5 or 6 months..
We winter in Florida most of the time, we have been to Texas and would like to go back..
Size is 275x70x22.5 H rated..
Just got a quote for Hankook at $500 each out the door.. Bridgestone $829.23 each..
Michelin start out at $738 with the FMCA discount without add-ons and we're having trouble finding a dealer that will do this..
2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36 PBD - ISB 300 Cummins- Allison MH2000 5 speed
2013 Equinox w/Blue Ox Aventa II & SMI Stay-n-Play Duo
FMCA 331658 HRRVC 105155 Chapter - 57- Good Sam Life Member - Coach Net - 3/4 timers
Mike & Sharon
39 REPLIES 39

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Bob, that is another form of insurance, one that is increasingly valuable as the tires age.

Johnny
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
That is correct Johnny....

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Texan wrote:
The dealer that sold and installed my tires will pull them and check them for 5 years, for less than the cost of 1 new tire.....So, to me, it is a no brainer to get them inspected, instead of arbitrarily throwing money out the window.

Just to be clear, you are having all your tires pulled and inspected every year for 5 years and the cost for doing this is less than the cost of a single tire?

JohnnyT Moderator
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

cloudnine
Explorer
Explorer
I have enjoyed reading this thread. I recently had a blowout on the steer axle of my 36 foot Holladay Rambler running 2 1/2 year old Good Year G670s. It was a 70 degree day on a nice Highway at 65 mph. I was able to pull rite off to the shoulder so the tire stayed together. Visual inspection of the tire revealed that the sidewall had blown out in about a 2 by 2 section. I shared this with yall for a couple of reasons. 1. As much of a piece of mind new tires give you. You can still have tire failure. These G670s that I am running still have the excess mold rubber between the grooves. Somewhere around 3 or 4 thousand miles. 2. When I am paying over 400 dollars for a single tire I want one the manufacture is going to stand behind. And thus far my strongly worded letter to Goodyear has gotten me no where! 3. I think a good rule of thumb is to go with what has worked for you in the past. I have had several sets of Hankooks on my cars and have been very happy with them. So that's what will be going on the RV Unless Goodyear decides they are tired of loosing market share to companies who are willing to stand behind there product.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer that sold and installed my tires will pull them and check them for 5 years, for less than the cost of 1 new tire.....So, to me, it is a no brainer to get them inspected, instead of arbitrarily throwing money out the window.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Impeyan
Explorer
Explorer
belfert wrote:
The OP already replaced his tires, but it wouldn't phase me in the least to run on 5 1/2 year old tires as long as the sidewalls were not cracking. I'm still running tires that are 7 years old. I took my motorhome to a commercial tire shop a month ago and they said my tires should still be good for another year or two.

Belfert, What does it cost to have tires inspected at a commercial tire shop ? The tires would have to be removed from the rims of course for a complete tire inspection. At some point after 2 or 3 of these inspections, I would opt for new tires I think.

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
The OP already replaced his tires, but it wouldn't phase me in the least to run on 5 1/2 year old tires as long as the sidewalls were not cracking. I'm still running tires that are 7 years old. I took my motorhome to a commercial tire shop a month ago and they said my tires should still be good for another year or two.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RFCN2 wrote:
tropical36 - There are many many tire makers in the US. I do not think that will change. I have no issue with tires made in the USA with non-USA ownership. Like BF Goodrich, Firestone, Michelin, and so on. I do think for something as important to your safety as tires it is better to stick with factories that are here. Korea has not really hot places either. If Korean tire makers build them here I have no problems with them. People like Goodyear and Michelin test their tires in desert heat.

I have bought several Hondas. My only regret is that I foolishly sold my 2004 S2000 a couple years back. A wonderful sports car.

One might also wonder and be concerned with what testing takes place with any of them before the DOT stamp goes on. I've never heard where US made tires, far exceed the min requirements for DOT approval or where the ones that are made overseas are exempt from these requirements and/or inspections.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 - There are many many tire makers in the US. I do not think that will change. I have no issue with tires made in the USA with non-USA ownership. Like BF Goodrich, Firestone, Michelin, and so on. I do think for something as important to your safety as tires it is better to stick with factories that are here. Korea has not really hot places either. If Korean tire makers build them here I have no problems with them. People like Goodyear and Michelin test their tires in desert heat.

I have bought several Hondas. My only regret is that I foolishly sold my 2004 S2000 a couple years back. A wonderful sports car.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
mscamping wrote:
..snip...What's anyones thoughts.. Thanks for your replies.. Mike Mathews....

I think it's too soon, but if you plan on selling the rig in five years why not enjoy new tires now and the peace of mind they will give you.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RFCN2 wrote:
Why are Michelin's considered the best? I don't think they are "the best" any more. They are one of the best IMHO. 30 years ago Michelin tires were better because they had invented the radial ply tire in the late 1940's and the other makers like Firestone, Goodyear, and BF Goodrich were mostly selling bias ply tires. So in the 70's Michelin had been making radial ply tires for 20+ years and they knew how to do it right.

In 2013 there are many good tire makers. Quality of tires is very high. Same with cars. Cars from the 1970's had many many more defects than today's cars. Again quality is very high today.

I do like buying tires made in the USA as I think tires made here are made for USA conditions. There is no Yuma or Florida or Texas in Japan or Germany. No really hot places. USA tire makers take USA conditions into consideration when they make the tires. But that said I am sure tires made in industrial first World countries are all good. I would never buy a tire for my 40,000 pound RV from a non industrial or non-honest place. Like Mexico, India, or China. I don't care if they were free.

And when every company moves their manufacturing facilities to one of these countries, what then? They seem to fall one by one with every other product, once made in America and you failed to mention Korea who are now making some very good tires that are increasing in popularity.
The opposite mindset is still apparent in some circles, as some still won't buy a Honda, even though it's made in America and now qualifies as a domestic.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
If tire manufacturers are reading these forums they must be throwing parties over the paranoia here. Every time someone causes panic and posts that you must change tires at 5 years, the tire companies wallets get fatter, for no valid reason!

If you bought your tires new and have taken reasonable care of them, 5 years is a simple waste of money. If your live in such fear of a blow-out, as to throw $3k+ out the window for no reason, maybe you're in the wrong hobby. I would hate to be driving down the road in fear, every time I got behind the wheel.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
Why are Michelin's considered the best? I don't think they are "the best" any more. They are one of the best IMHO. 30 years ago Michelin tires were better because they had invented the radial ply tire in the late 1940's and the other makers like Firestone, Goodyear, and BF Goodrich were mostly selling bias ply tires. So in the 70's Michelin had been making radial ply tires for 20+ years and they knew how to do it right.

In 2013 there are many good tire makers. Quality of tires is very high. Same with cars. Cars from the 1970's had many many more defects than today's cars. Again quality is very high today.

I do like buying tires made in the USA as I think tires made here are made for USA conditions. There is no Yuma or Florida or Texas in Japan or Germany. No really hot places. USA tire makers take USA conditions into consideration when they make the tires. But that said I am sure tires made in industrial first World countries are all good. I would never buy a tire for my 40,000 pound RV from a non industrial or non-honest place. Like Mexico, India, or China. I don't care if they were free.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Note: Bridgestone owns Firestone.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion