cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GEICO v. Coach-Net

RVROSE
Explorer
Explorer
My GEICO insurance coverage includes Emergency Road Service for the motorhome and the toad.

I also have Coach-Net.

Is this double coverage? Can (or should) I eliminate the GEICO emergency road service?
2005 Kountry Star with a 4 cyl. Saturn Vue with stick shift.
Mike and Rose and Pepper, our All-American black lap dog.
18 REPLIES 18

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ddndoug wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
We have used an "add-on" (not Geico) to our vehicle insurance for 16 years and have been extremely happy with it. At present it costs $12/year...

Point being, the 'add-on' insurance for ERS worked beautifully.

What insurance company were you using?

Doug

GMAC through Progressive in Oregon
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm Geico all the way! Used there emergency towing service for my RV once no problems, my RV was in a accident and they didn't raise my rates and took care of me! Good customer service!

mscamping
Explorer
Explorer
Our insurance does too, and we can't take it out, because it's part of the package we have.. We still have Coach-Net and will continue to have it.. I don't know what or who the insurance company would use, but we have had great results(two times) with CN.. Mike Mathews..
2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36 PBD - ISB 300 Cummins- Allison MH2000 5 speed
2013 Equinox w/Blue Ox Aventa II & SMI Stay-n-Play Duo
FMCA 331658 HRRVC 105155 Chapter - 57- Good Sam Life Member - Coach Net - 3/4 timers
Mike & Sharon

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
We have used an "add-on" (not Geico) to our vehicle insurance for 16 years and have been extremely happy with it. At present it costs $12/year...

What insurance company were you using?

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
dieharder wrote:
Personally, I'll stick with Coach-Net since I know their service specializes in our needs.

Saw someone mention earlier about dropping ERS because the ERS wouldn't tow in the event of an accident - I doubt you'll find any ERS that will tow in event of an accident because the responsibility for accident towing falls under your collision insurance coverage.

That's exactly what I discovered, so now I only have one ERS that covers all events for less than half the cost. I use the difference in the savings to keep the hot pink fridge stocked with wine and beer.:B
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
Chopperbob wrote:
I called geico. They will not change a inside duelly.
Went with Coach Net.

That's odd, they dispatched a trucking service to fix my flat inside dually.
Go figure!
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
I called geico. They will not change a inside duelly.
Went with Coach Net.

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I'll stick with Coach-Net since I know their service specializes in our needs.

Saw someone mention earlier about dropping ERS because the ERS wouldn't tow in the event of an accident - I doubt you'll find any ERS that will tow in event of an accident because the responsibility for accident towing falls under your collision insurance coverage.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have used an "add-on" (not Geico) to our vehicle insurance for 16 years and have been extremely happy with it. At present it costs $12/year.

The last time we had to use it was when we bought a used 5th wheel and truck for the sole purpose of spending the summer in Alaska. We left our motorhome and Jeep behind in Arizona and crossed Death Valley (almost crossed), and the engine on the truck blew. No phone service in the area so we sat alongside the road. A park ranger drove by and called our insurance company for us. Two flatbeds from Lone Pine arrived - one for the truck and one for the 5th wheel. They towed us 75 miles (which was a 150 mi trip for them with two trucks) and set up the 5th wheel in Lone Pine and towed the truck for service. Our insurance paid for the campground for two weeks and there was $0 charge to us for towing.

Long story short, the best option for the truck was to install an engine from a Calif state trooper's trashed vehicle. The truck was a V10. We didn't feel comfortable continuing on to Alaska so we returned to Arizona, sold the 5th wheel & truck on consignment while we were gone, and took our 40' motorhome and Jeep to Alaska like we should have done in the first place. We had absolutely no problems, no dings, no broken windshield on the Alaskan trip.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Ive got Coach Net....and Im sticking with Coach Net
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I have never used anything other then CoachNet. Paid the premium for 9 years and never needed it. Then "BOOM", 90 miles from the closest diesel garage I was stranded. CoachNet sent a lowboy 90 miles to me, loaded me up and towed me 90 miles to a Freightliner garage where they made an immediate appointment for me. Two hours later and zero out of pocket towing I was back on the road again.
There may be good reasons to seek another service, but I would not consider saving hundreds of dollars for another towing service. Piece of mind is priceless when your stranded.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

moparmaga2
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:

been in the RV community for a long time. I've talked with seveaal that have had their MHs towed more than a thousand miles. Geico and other Insurance policies and use to and may still be Sams would only tow you to the nearest facility. So you are mistaken. Not all facilities will even look at a MH. I can't thin, at the moment of the name but a big outfit that will service diesels in trucks won't look at a MH and ones that will don;t know what they are doing such as adding 39 qts of oil and not draining the old oil and tearing the seal off the dipstick and tearing up the grill by dropping it and letting the batteries go dead when they said they would lug it in and losing several hundre dolars in groceries.

Sorry Sir, I am doubting you. I am looking at the map now, and cannot Find anywhere in the CONUS or Canada (That you can drive on a road) that is 1000 miles from a city with a Freightliner or Caterpillar or Cummins dealer. (Ford, Chevy, Dodge are in many town over 10,000)

Just not geographically possible. Now if someone wants to have their RV towed 1000 miles home on their dime to their personal mechanic, good for them. No insurance company is going to pay that.

We can disagree like Gentlemen, but I hope you keep this reply in the back of your mind when you break down with these high expectations The Entire US is only approx 2800 miles wide.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi
2008 Yamaha FJR Sport Touring Bike in the bed of the truck

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
Over 37 years, I have carried ERS.

I have used 2 major ERS companies with satisfactory results.

I have used progressive ERS with satisfactory results.

I currently use GEICO ERS, and have had satisfactory results for the last 4 years.

However, I discovered that neither of the 2 major ERS companies would tow my vehicle if I was involved in an accident.

My Research led me to drop the major ERS company, and rely on my insurance ERS provider.

GEICO will tow me in the event either vehicle is damaged in an accident. GEICO ERS covers me for other roadside issues at a lower cost than the major ERS companies.

Don't have pets to worry about, so not an issue for me.
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Your Coach-Net ERS includes unlimited towing (except for the "Limited" plan) for any non-commercial highway vehicle you own, rent, or borrow. That would seem to make your GEICO ERS redundant. The Coach-Net plans also include many other features that GEICO doesn't offer of course.
I'll concur with Dutch here and suggest you examine the coverage of each that you desire and drop the other one.
Its all pretty simple unless you get caught up in the extreme scenarios these other guys are posting as they try to outdo each other with dubious so called facts.