cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires: Michelin vs. Bridgestone

Keith_in_a_Flai
Explorer
Explorer
Our 1993 Flair came with Michelin XPS Rib tires (steel casing) and when they needed replacing, we used the same. Last time we went with their X RAD LT version (polyester casing, which was OK, but we going to go back to steel.
A friend who actually owns a local tire store has recommended the Bridgestone Duravis R250 tire, which he says is comparable to the XPS Rib and a little cheaper.
Does anyone here have experience with either tire? What is your opinion?
Thanks.
20 REPLIES 20

chili_s_trip
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Look at the Firestone Transforce also. Another option that has gotten good reciews

X2
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
Daveinet wrote:
topflite51 wrote:
The problem with the Firestone TransForce's is that they are not steel sidewalls like the R250's unless they have recently changed their composition...
Why is that a problem? Maybe not have same level of road hazard resistance, but how often do you hit something and puncture a tire? Usually its a nail, which goes right through any steel belt, so I'm not sure the steel is buying you a lot. Nylon belted tires run cooler, so they are less likely to suffer tread separation. Nylon is going to be lighter, so it should give a better ride.

Yes, Bridgestone and Firestone are the same company, just 2 different product lines. The difference between a Bridgestone tire and a Firestone tire is that Bridgestone uses a dual tread compound, so as the tire wears, the lack of tread is compensated for by softer rubber. Firestone is a single tread compound, which is why it is less expensive. My coach has traction weakness in snow, but I have found the Transforce to be very exceptable traction wise. Been running them for 8 years (multiple sets)
As per usual:

OP'er posted his rig originally had XPS ribs, he tried polyester casings and he is going back to steel. His question was has anybody used the R250's and someone suggested Firestone Tranforces(can't read I guess). I was simply pointing out that they were not steel reinforced sidewalls as OP'er was requesting info about. Where did I write that Transforces were not an acceptable tire to use. You use them and evidently like them, that is good, but it wasn't the question.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable 😛
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
topflite51 wrote:
The problem with the Firestone TransForce's is that they are not steel sidewalls like the R250's unless they have recently changed their composition...
Why is that a problem? Maybe not have same level of road hazard resistance, but how often do you hit something and puncture a tire? Usually its a nail, which goes right through any steel belt, so I'm not sure the steel is buying you a lot. Nylon belted tires run cooler, so they are less likely to suffer tread separation. Nylon is going to be lighter, so it should give a better ride.

Yes, Bridgestone and Firestone are the same company, just 2 different product lines. The difference between a Bridgestone tire and a Firestone tire is that Bridgestone uses a dual tread compound, so as the tire wears, the lack of tread is compensated for by softer rubber. Firestone is a single tread compound, which is why it is less expensive. My coach has traction weakness in snow, but I have found the Transforce to be very exceptable traction wise. Been running them for 8 years (multiple sets)
IRV2

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I'll only run Bridgestone tires on our coach, been using them for 14 years now. Mine are the R250F series load range "G".

And yes, I'm extremely biased toward the Bridgestone brand due to the trouble free service they've provided over the years.

Good luck with your choice of tires and safe travels..
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO you are considering the 2 best .
Michelin gets more money for their tires because they consistently have the best tires .
The Duravis line of Bridgestone is their heaviest duty line .
As far as I can tell the Firestone ( Bridgestone owned ) line does not have an equivalent to the Duravis line up.
I have have owned mostly Michelins with good results .

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
wny_pat wrote:
I went with the Firestone FS 560 Plus 9R22.5 on my coach. Have champagne taste with a hard cider income. And I wanted a tire made in the USA, which the Firestone was.

I believe that Firestone tires is owned by, or a part of, Bridgestone USA.

You are correct, and I am told that Bridgestone uses the Firestone line as a testing line.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There will be no cut and dry answer on tires.
We can give our advise but the OP needs to make there own choice.
As stated before I have Toyos. I run wider ones on the front for better steering control.
I have been running Double Coins from Les Schwab n the rear. Have gone through three sets.
I have had Michelins on one rig. I will not put them on anything not even my wheel barrow.
Firestone and Bridgestone are the same company.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
alandsusy wrote:
Guys, look at the warrantees!@!!! IMHO, Michelins are the best you can buy by far, and the cheapest in the long run.
Plus, they are made in the USA!!!

Where Michelin tires are made depends on model and size. My 16" XPS Rib tires were manufactured in Germany. On my Chinese-made Audi A6, the Michelin Pilot tires were also manufactured in China.

Bridgestone tires may be made at any Bridgestone plant in the world, their market is global. The Firestone brand is sold only in North America, but that does not mean Bridgestone manufactures all Firestone tires in the U.S.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

alandsusy
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, look at the warrantees!@!!! IMHO, Michelins are the best you can buy by far, and the cheapest in the long run.
Plus, they are made in the USA!!!
Al Marchioni
www.alandsusysroadtrips.com

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
wny_pat wrote:
I went with the Firestone FS 560 Plus 9R22.5 on my coach. Have champagne taste with a hard cider income. And I wanted a tire made in the USA, which the Firestone was.

I believe that Firestone tires is owned by, or a part of, Bridgestone USA.

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
We had the Bridgestone R250's on our 38' Beaver and I really liked them. We had them for the seven years we owned the coach and they were still in excellent condition when we sold it. We had put 65k on the tires and they were wearing fantastic. No irregular wear patterns or issues at all.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin and Bridgestone are two very good choices for RV tires! I chose Michelin XRV, because they there a soft rubber tire made for RV applications (long periods of sitting and UV protection).

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
Won't matter much on a 21 yr old lightweight class A. Buy what you want.