cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toilet Keeps Running In My RV ??

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
Have an older 2001 Ford Coachman Class C Motorhome Catalina Sportsman. After flush activation Toilet (pump) decided to keep running. Any an all suggestions would be very much appreciated. Shut off the 12 DC and that stopped pump from running. WOULD like to know what/how is involved to track down and repair the problem! Hope this helps? Any an all suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to assist this SC with this matter.:? KC 62-66 USAF
15 REPLIES 15

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't had to take our AM IV apart. Look at the exploded parts diagram. I think you'll find you have to take it off to have the access to get it apart. You may find it a little tricky. Heard the AM V was brought out to simplify the design.

Thetford recommends plugging the vent that you see in the bowl rim below where the water comes out. They now say it isn't needed, and can let tank odors into the RV.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
We have an AM IV hand flush, cheapest thing Thetford makes. Still, it works just fine.

AM IV Parts

13168 Valve Kit $27 Amazon

The Valve Kit and # you provided will be the first purchase I will make. Will try to keep you all posted on overall progress. Still contemplating on whether to completely remove toilet or try to replace the parts from the backside. Probably best to remove the unit and check & clean the mechanism and replace parts and may include some of the other modifications that have been mentioned at this time. Thanks for searching out the kit and providing the info. KC

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an AM IV hand flush, cheapest thing Thetford makes. Still, it works just fine.

AM IV Parts

13168 Valve Kit $27 Amazon

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Most likely the "flush valve", "water valve" or whatever the parts list calls it. Or a problem with the linkage from the Hand or Foot Control that activates said valve. Possibly some foreign object is keeping the valve or linkage from closing.
Post Brand and Model of Toilet and we can try to find a parts list. Parts aren't cheap, so new toilet may be in order. When you repair or replace it, you'll need a new Seal Ring (prevents leaks between Toilet and Floor Flange, and it's Foam Rubber not Beeswax like we have at home), AND!!! Install a shutoff valve in the line supplying the Toilet. Then you can still use the rest of the RV's water system.

Brand is Thetford Model AM IV LD .. Hand Flush.
Part # 20919 602
Code 000928

Appreciate the suggestions. They are well taken. Hopefully I will be able to make better progress in the AM.

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Most of those RV water pumps have the fuse for the pump just a few inches from the pump itself. Usually within 6 inches. Find the pump, and the fuse will be there.

That was my biggest accomplishment so far. I located the DC Fuses and believe it or not it was labeled properly for the pump so pump is now inoperative. All other apparatuses are working satisfactorily.

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:

This is a "push-on" PVC valve for 1/2" PEX or Copper. This is Amazon. I got a similar one at Lowe's.

Good idea & thanks for sharing. KC

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
ncscz wrote:
Yes ... Water is running into the toilet bowl after its been flushed and keep on running. The only way I could think of to stop it was to shut off the DC to the RV. That worked ... but it also shuts down the Refrige as the DC, I believe activates the Control Panel AC to the unit. Maybe I should try to locate and remove the fuse for the water pump for now and than see if I figure out How to get to the flush valve on the toilet bowl, etc. Thanks for the suggestion I believe that is the cause of the problem.

Does the water fill the bowl and overflow? If the sliding blade in the bottom of the toilet does not seat completely back into the groove the water can continue to flow. If SOMETHING is keeping the blade from sealing, that can cause this problem.

Will look into this further. There are two (2) hand levers. Gray & white (flush & rinse). Usually use flush lever. When flushed let it close and that shuts off the H20. Now It just keeps on running.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II

This is a "push-on" PVC valve for 1/2" PEX or Copper. This is Amazon. I got a similar one at Lowe's.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
This is why I always put a valve in the supply line to the toity. It comes in really handy if or when this happens.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Most of those RV water pumps have the fuse for the pump just a few inches from the pump itself. Usually within 6 inches. Find the pump, and the fuse will be there.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most likely the "flush valve", "water valve" or whatever the parts list calls it. Or a problem with the linkage from the Hand or Foot Control that activates said valve. Possibly some foreign object is keeping the valve or linkage from closing.
Post Brand and Model of Toilet and we can try to find a parts list. Parts aren't cheap, so new toilet may be in order. When you repair or replace it, you'll need a new Seal Ring (prevents leaks between Toilet and Floor Flange, and it's Foam Rubber not Beeswax like we have at home), AND!!! Install a shutoff valve in the line supplying the Toilet. Then you can still use the rest of the RV's water system.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Some times with high mineral water, deposits will form around the valve. Occasionally a piece will break off and clog the valve. I have had this problem with a previous RV comode. Try stepping on the foot pedal and release it quickly several times. This worked for me at least as a temporary fix.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
Yes ... Water is running into the toilet bowl after its been flushed and keep on running. The only way I could think of to stop it was to shut off the DC to the RV. That worked ... but it also shuts down the Refrige as the DC, I believe activates the Control Panel AC to the unit. Maybe I should try to locate and remove the fuse for the water pump for now and than see if I figure out How to get to the flush valve on the toilet bowl, etc. Thanks for the suggestion I believe that is the cause of the problem.

Does the water fill the bowl and overflow? If the sliding blade in the bottom of the toilet does not seat completely back into the groove the water can continue to flow. If SOMETHING is keeping the blade from sealing, that can cause this problem.
CarriGo
Model 2320

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Can you see water running into the toilet bowl after you've flushed? And it keeps running? That's probably going to be the flush valve on the toilet. Easy to replace, not that expensive.

Can't see water running into the toilet bowl? Do you see water on the floor of the bathroom? Or dripping to the ground underneath the RV? Then you likely have a split pipe, bad valve, or a bad water pipe connection somewhere. Might feel around the piping going to the toilet for drips of water.

The pump is pressure activated. Turns it on if the pressure drops (by turning on a faucet or toilet valve or caused by a leak) turning it off when the pressure reaches 45 PSI. So if there's a leak somewhere, and the pump switch is 'On' (most RVs have a 'water' switch in 1-2-3 places in the RV where you can switch the pump on or off), that leak causes a loss of pressure, which causes the pump to run to bring it back up.

That's a fine suggestion. Hopefully I may be able to locate a switch directly responsible for the Water Pump. So far, other than that I have a switch to shut off the DC for now. As you mentioned it appears that the flushing lever valve probably have stuck on. Thanks again. All I will need to do/know is how to get to the valve assembly. KC