cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too big to travel? (45' X 101")

Let_s_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
New poster here! Looking for your advice before I purchase a new Motorhome. I'd like a 45' long class A that's 101" wide, but I see there are many States here in the US that you can't drive something that big in. Would I be better to get something under 40'? Even then most of the big DP's are wider that 8'. I must be missing something here? Taking my info from the web, specifically HERE. I can't believe all these coaches are built this big if you can't drive them across the US. We will have a small toad, so the parks and tourist sites are no problem. Just need to know that we can actually cross the state and get to where we can drive the toad to the places we want to see. What do all of you with the big motorcoaches do?
37 REPLIES 37

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've been all over this country including California, with no problems. The only issues you'll encounter is some of the campground ROADS are too narrow, many State and Forestry campgrounds were built for smaller coaches and some off interstate highways are restricted. I.E. Hwy 1 in California is restricted to 40' or less. We tend to travel off the Interstates as much as possible and have never encountered any difficulties. Check with the licensing division of your resident state. Whatever they require is good nationwide....Dennis

OH! and you'll pay more in tolls for the tag axle...D
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let's Travel wrote:
Thanks to all! I figured there wouldn't be DOT folks out with their tape measures but didn't have any personal experience in those states. That chart said 8' maximum width in Arizona. So basically you're all just saying go, no problems encountered? I'm looking at either a Thor or a Dutchstar, both 45X101. Alright, now to decide....

The Arizona limits have come up a lot on here. The charts do say 96" for Arizona, but when you get down to the letter of the law there are so many exceptions that I think it makes it impossible to enforce, assuming AZ even wanted to enforce it. Not to mention in the winter AZ probably has more 102" wide RV's in the state than any other State in the land. Every time the subject comes up, nobody has ever said they got a citation in AZ. I've been there several times in my 102" wide motorhome and never had an issue, and I've driven it right through the middle of Phoenix.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Let_s_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all! I figured there wouldn't be DOT folks out with their tape measures but didn't have any personal experience in those states. That chart said 8' maximum width in Arizona. So basically you're all just saying go, no problems encountered? I'm looking at either a Thor or a Dutchstar, both 45X101. Alright, now to decide....

ricardo
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from the East coast and traveled all over including New Jersey. I've never had a problem any where in the country although we've not traveled in California and don't plan on it.
Rick and Sandy
2010 American Tradition 45ft
425 Cummins
GMC Envoy

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Federal rules define rvs as limited to 400 square feet in their traveling mode. This standard cannot be userpt by individual states under the interstate commerce provisions in our US Constitution
101" x 45' = 378.75 square feet.
Search RVIA, RVPA, ICC, the answers are there.

Max

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The federal maximum non-permit width for federal highways is 102". Access roads that lead to those highways also must allow that width for a reasonable distance. Note that even the few states where 96" is the state max, there are generally exceptions. I don't recall ever reading of any RV'er on any of the several RV forums I follow, or hearing anyone in any park or campground I've stayed in, mentioning that they've been stopped as overwide, or even knew of anyone that had been stopped for that reason. I would not be concerned about it, and I have passed through or stayed in most of the states with a 96" max without any width issues.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach is 8.5 feet wide and we have pretty much been all over the U.S. with it. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for being over the 8-foot limit. Pretty sure our next coach will be 45 feet, and of the places we have been, we are not too concerned, although some commercial California campgrounds are a bit tight.
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
You might look at the chart again. Only four states prohibit 45' coaches and you probably wouldn't want to take a 45' there anyhow, like New Jersey or Maryland. The standard allowed width is 102", again per the chart you're looking at. That is the standard RV width for modern coaches. The only issue with a 45' coach is that some states require you to have a special license for a rig that long.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab