cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a 6400lb toyhauler with my MH

Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 Winnebago 32V with the F53 chassis and the ford v-10 engine. Max towing weight is 5000# but I want to tow my 6400# toyhauler. I know I would have to get a 10,000# receiver installed but what else should I do?
38 REPLIES 38

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
If the OP stays within the GCWR , beefs up the frame extension and hitch, has reasonable hitch weight and good brakes, I think it would work just fine.
If it were me, I would do it!

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
PastorCharlie wrote:
Diplomat Don wrote:
82911.....One thing you have going is that you have a relatively short coach on the that chassis. I had a 1990 Jamboree 27 Class C with a Ford 460 that was rated to tow 3500 pounds. I beefed up the rear frame and shocks and towed my 4800 pound boat for 14 years without an issue. I moved the boat back on the trailer and lightened the tongue weight.

Be careful how you load the toy hauler and you could probably do it without a W/D hitch. Get the tongue weight between 400-500 pounds. Using a little common sense and not towing above 65mph and you should be okay.

I'll bet there are some weld shops in Palmdale that will beef up your hitch and frame. I doubt you'll be able to find a heavier rated hitch. They typically don't make any that will fit your frame knowing that it will exceed your limits.

Safe towing weight distribution for a loaded trailer will have about 10-15% of the weight on the tongue. Too little weight on the tongue will create a swaying possibility and too much will create a steering problem for the tow vehicle.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

That is assuming a W/D receiver is on the MH or that one is available. Neither are good assumptions.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Diplomat Don wrote:
82911.....One thing you have going is that you have a relatively short coach on the that chassis. I had a 1990 Jamboree 27 Class C with a Ford 460 that was rated to tow 3500 pounds. I beefed up the rear frame and shocks and towed my 4800 pound boat for 14 years without an issue. I moved the boat back on the trailer and lightened the tongue weight.

Be careful how you load the toy hauler and you could probably do it without a W/D hitch. Get the tongue weight between 400-500 pounds. Using a little common sense and not towing above 65mph and you should be okay.

I'll bet there are some weld shops in Palmdale that will beef up your hitch and frame. I doubt you'll be able to find a heavier rated hitch. They typically don't make any that will fit your frame knowing that it will exceed your limits.

Safe towing weight distribution for a loaded trailer will have about 10-15% of the weight on the tongue. Too little weight on the tongue will create a swaying possibility and too much will create a steering problem for the tow vehicle.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

SP I have raced all over the East even MI a few times but I am retired now and moved to central NC and since coming here mostly MD, VA, NC, TN, and SC. Raced in SC last time and Bristol the first part of July at the WFC. I am 72 years old and trying to cut back some....6 days at Bristol was a stretch.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
82911 wrote:
I have a 2002 Winnebago 32V with the F53 chassis and the ford v-10 engine. Max towing weight is 5000# but I want to tow my 6400# toyhauler. I know I would have to get a 10,000# receiver installed but what else should I do?

Are you absolutely in love with the tow hauler ??, because you can sell it and get a lighter trailer to carry your toys, they make light enclosed trailers that have the rear door that makes into a ramp for loading, I think some of them can weight under 1500 lbs and still carry 2500 lbs of cargo..

Towing over weight over time can damage your motorhome and if you had a accident your in some trouble with the law..

:C

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer

Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
You do have a point there Dave.

You know, it would be nice, to be fat enough on the hip to be able to own a big Renagade or three axle DP to do the job easier, but sometimes you got to do with what you have.

We had a racer few years back, had one of the older box Winnies, 18~20' I think it was, 454, turbo 400 & pulled a Pace 38' three axle enclosed loaded down with anything they would need.
He had built his own trailer toad, so all the trailers hitch weight was on that toad. That old Winnie pulled that 38' Pace enclosed like nobodys business, up & down the east coast & even out to Texas I know one time, so sometimes, you can do what you got to do with what you got.
Was it safe, probably not in a bunch of eyes, but it was the best that racer could do at that time.
Neil

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
SP Corvette is on to something----I read on a racing thread that if racers listened to most of the posts on RV.net no one would ever tow a race car with a motor home---
But racers are so accustomed to breaking stuff, they are not going to think to mention if something breaks on their coach. LOL.
IRV2

spcorvette
Explorer
Explorer
Most some RV'ers don't think twice about pulling a Toad without a brake buddy behind their rig. This adds 3000 to 4000 lbs to the GCVW of the rig without any increase in braking power. At Race trailer or Toy Hauler adds to the braking capacity.
Things to remember; do not overload, watch your tongue weight, use a good hitch with torsion bars and brace the frame. Without the frame bracing, you run the risk of over flexing the frame that will stress the body and may cause delamination. Been towing for over 35 years without any problems. Just be cautious and careful.
Terry

spcorvette
Explorer
Explorer
Mine trailer is a 30' with a Dragster, Golf Cart, generator, Motorcycle, 55 gallons of Alcohol along with tools and cabinets.
To be honest, the motorhome actually tow better than any of my Super Duty trucks due to the long wheelbase.
Ferndale, Where do you race?
Terry

jy
Explorer
Explorer
I,ve towed more weight than that with my 99 32 foot coachman on a V10 chassis.I reenforced the frame extensions and the hitch.Never had any problems and the MH handles fine.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

spcorvette
Explorer
Explorer
Mine trailer is a 30' with a Dragster, Golf Cart, generator, Motorcycle, 55 gallons of Alcohol along with tools and cabinets.
To be honest, the motorhome actually tow better than any of my Super Duty trucks due to the long wheelbase.
Ferndale, Where do you race?
Terry

SP Corvette is on to something----I read on a racing thread that if racers listened to most of the posts on RV.net no one would ever tow a race car with a motor home----That being said although I have never weighed it I'll bet my 32ft Pace 3 axel trailer with the race car & everything else in there might weigh 15,000lbs. (thats a guess) I have towed all over the country and see no damage to the trailer or motorhome. I use the hitch from Winnebago without any mods.

spcorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 30' enclosed race trailer with my Allegro 31'.
Before you do it, make sure you have the proper hitch and torsion bars. Beef up the frame in the back to handle the extra weight. Make a trip to your local drag strip. The tow vehicles of choice are motorhomes pulling enclosed trailers.
The brakes on the trailer handle the braking for the excess weight (that's what they are there for).
My frame is trussed from the hitch to above the rear axle.
Hope this helps.
Terry