cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a Chevy Equinox

The_Works
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to motorhomes and towing as can be seen in my last post about steering a motorhome. Next issue. We bought a new 2016 Chevy Equinox to be towed behind the motorhome. We had Lazydays install a Blue Ox tow bar on the Equinox and elected to go with a Blue Ox Patriot braking system. For 12vdc power for the braking system I plugged it into the cigarette lighter in the middle of the console. The Equinox owners manual says to put the key in the Auxiliary position, put the car into Neutral remove fuse 32 while towing. When one removes this fuse you loss 12vdc to the Patriot braking system. So what is my next step? Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
TRust me....if you don't pull the fuse, the battery will run down very quickly. Go ahead and ask me how I know that?
I did as others, a dedicated line from the battery to the Brake Buddy. No problems now.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Don't pull the fuse.
I tow a CR-V Honda and never pull any fuse.
I run the car once or twice a day to keep the battery charged.
You will figure it out.

What does the book say that fuse controls?

Well, that works good for you MP. It all depends on the car. We were required to pull a fuse on our 2013 Honda CR-V (also on the 2007). I had a disconnect switch installed on both as both had Navigation that required that the fuse be removed.

I also run the car at the start and end of each day as required.

The added braking system is the 'clicker'. Ours is connected to the air brakes on the coach so there is no additional system needing power.

The original poster should follow what is in the manual.

If I don't flip the switch, will get a dead battery.

MM.

I spoke too soon. If you have a nav system the battery will probably run down.
Then do like Mr Mark said and run a separate 12 volt wire.
Jerry Parr
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Patriot and have towed my Jeep from Florida to Yellowstone without a coach charge line and it didn't kill my battery.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 12v extension cord at Amazon and get power for my RVI2 brake from the driver side rear compartment. I have a 2012 Equinox which we sometimes prefer to tow over the Wrangler.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

jkcruzer1
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2013, the 12VDC outlet in the cargo area remains hot all the time. A heavy gauge extension might provide power for your Patriot.
2011 Damon Challenger 371

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The number 32 fuse controls several things. One important thing is the odometer. Without pulling the fuse, the odometer will rack up miles, the nav system remains active as does the radio. Even with the radio off the nav and radio system are linked and run through the same computer system as the odometer. That's why you can't program the nav system while you're underway...I installed the toggle switch so the fuse doesn't have to be pulled. Install the toggle switch and tap into another power source for your braking system, and you'll be in high cotton.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tow our Terrain (same as the Equinox...just different body style) 4-down, but have the US Gear Unified Brake system for the car when towing so no additional battery drain as you have with the Patriot system. As mentioned, you just need to provide a different connection for the 12v. HOWEVER, unless you have a auxiliary 12v line coming from the motor home's battery(s) to the toad battery, the Patriot will drain your toad's battery.

If you don't pull fuse 32, you will also have a dead battery once you're at your destination.

I made and installed a switch to toggle fuse 32 off and on so that I wouldn't have to go through the uncomfortable position to pull/install the fuse.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Equinox, but I don't dingy tow it. Here's from my manual: Look like you pull fuse 32 so the battery does not drain. To run you brake system, you may need to run a separate wire from the battery dedicated for the brake system used in the car.

Dinghy Towing

Front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive vehicles may be dinghy towed from the front. These vehicles can also be towed by placing them on a platform trailer with all four wheels off of the ground. For other towing options, see โ€œDolly Towingโ€ following in this section.

For vehicles being dinghy towed, the vehicle should be run at the
beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for about five minutes.
This will ensure proper lubrication of transmission components.

To tow the vehicle from the front with all four wheels on the ground:
1. Position the vehicle to be towed and secure it to the towing vehicle.
2. Turn the ignition key to ON/RUN.
3. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral).
4. Turn the ignition key to ACC/ACCESSORY.
5. Turn all accessories off.
6. To prevent the battery from draining while the vehicle is
being towed, remove fuse 32, the Discrete Logic Ignition Switch fuse, from the instrument panel fuse block and store it in a safe location. See Instrument Panel Fuse Block on page 10-34.

{Caution
If the vehicle is towed without performing each of the steps listed under โ€œDinghy Towing,โ€ the automatic transmission could be damaged. Be sure to follow all steps of the dinghy towing procedure prior to and after towing the vehicle.

{
Caution
If 105 km/h (65 mph) is exceeded while towing the vehicle, it could
be damaged. Never exceed 105 km/h (65 mph) while towing the vehicle.
Once the destination is reached:
1. Set the parking brake.
2. Shift the transmission to P (Park).
3. Turn the ignition key to LOCK/OFF.
4. Install fuse 32, the Discrete Logic Ignition Switch fuse. See
Instrument Panel Fuse Block on page 10-34.
5. Start the engine and let it idle for more than three minutes before
driving the vehicle.

(Here's our "baby" beside "big brother" who simply loves to pull our travel trailer!)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Don't pull the fuse.
You will figure it out.

Well, that works good for you MP. It all depends on the car. We were required to pull a fuse on our 2013 Honda CR-V (also on the 2007). I had a disconnect switch installed on both as both had Navigation that required that the fuse be removed.

I also run the car at the start and end of each day as required.

The added braking system is the 'clicker'. Ours is connected to the air brakes on the coach so there is no additional system needing power.

The original poster should follow what is in the manual.

If I don't flip the switch, will get a dead battery.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Vegas1
Explorer
Explorer
I experienced the same problem. To solve it, I installed an auxilliary 12 volt plug beneath the dash, close to the console. It was difficult to get the wire through the firewall, but after finally getting it through, I was able to connect it directly to the battery. When you get ready to tow, make sure the ignition is in the "accessory" position and not the "on" position. I learned the hard way after arriving at my destination with a dead battery.
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37 F
Ford F-53 24,0000
2010 Chevy Equinox. Blue Ox & Brake Buddy

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Don't pull the fuse.
You will figure it out.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter