Best route from cortez co. To carbondale co
john
6 REPLIES 6

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Best route from cortez co. To carbondale co

2gypsies wrote:
If driving it soon you'll need to monitor the weather for snow in some areas. You could have three choices:

242 miles via Hwy 145 north (steep uphill to Telluride & high elevation for snow) to 550 to I-70

240 miles via 491 to 141 to Delta to 133 or instead of 133 at Delta take 50 to Grand Junction then I-70 east

325 miles via 491/Utah 191 north to I-70 - perhaps best if snow on other routes

All these routes work - BUT - for me number 1 would be my choice, even in a little snow. Roads are all good and there are so many greats stops/things to see along the way.

My first stop would be Dunton/Lizard Head - A beautiful off road trip on some easy/mild 4x4 trails with some interesting scenery, just a neat /Beautiful little slice of heaven along the way. Followed By Trout Lake, just always makes me wonder why I did not move here? Next is Telluride, just one of those neat little ski towns that have just priced themselves out of reality - but still a fun stop. Next would be Last Dollar Ranch a 392-acre spread that borders a 13,000-acre property owned by clothing magnate Ralph Lauren Ralph Lauren, and is surrounded by the beautiful wooded fences. Then on to Ridgway - you could take a run to Ouray if you had time - just another one of the reason I could move here.

Now on up to North Delta before turning onto Rt 133 - hopping you knew to stop at Black Cannon of the Gunnison NP - Yes when you look down it really appears to be a Black Hole! Rt 133 follows the North Fork of the Gunnison River and is a fun drive, with the River and a Reservoir or two along the way.

Next stop would be to turn off at Marble - if the weather is still good you might even venture off to see Crystal Mill - bt to do this you will need a really Good JEEP. After the fun at Marble the last little stop would be Red Stone - a neat little artist areas/town on the back side of Aspen.

Once you get to Carbondale you MUST take the time to Visit Maroon Bells, which IMHO is just Colorado at it's BEST. - After this long trip a short run to the Hot Springs in Glenwood would be in line.

So, for me, this is the "Best Route" - but - all of the others suggested by 2gypsies are Excellent and there would be no wrong choice.

Watch the weather - in October it can change quickly but that said the sun usually comes right back out, and you can continue your travels on clear roads.

Best of Luck and let us know what choice you make, and share the fun you had.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

et2
Explorer
Explorer
There's a roads and routes section on this forum. You might get a better response posting in the more appropriate section. There's more people driving other rigs than MH's.

A bit more information than what you posted here would help too.

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
Tmm2good...best? Read the last 5 words

2 gypies...nice to see an informative post

I read all of the words.
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tmm2good...best? Read the last 5 words

2 gypies...nice to see an informative post

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
Best for what? quickest? best scenery? least number of passes? most number of passes? Most gas stations along the route?
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If driving it soon you'll need to monitor the weather for snow in some areas. You could have three choices:

242 miles via Hwy 145 north (steep uphill to Telluride & high elevation for snow) to 550 to I-70

240 miles via 491 to 141 to Delta to 133 or instead of 133 at Delta take 50 to Grand Junction then I-70 east

325 miles via 491/Utah 191 north to I-70 - perhaps best if snow on other routes
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel