cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turned Away

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
I just left my local Ford dealer after they refused to service my F-53 ford mo ho on the grounds that it was too big. Now ths is not a old time Mom and Pop dealer, this is a dealer with multipal brands. My question is what if would no longer move? What if it was a major warrenty issue and not just an oil change? Is there no recorse? Whar would you do?
32 REPLIES 32

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I like the fact that they were honest and told you up front that they aren't equipped or qualified to work on it.

Would you rather have them say, "Sure, no problem," and then butcher the job?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem with a Chevy 454 in my motorhome which was still under warranty. Chevy just referred me to the closest GMC and all was handled. I would think the Ford dealer could either refer you to Ford Truck service or call Ford and find an authorized contract facility for warranty service.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
blknomad wrote:
I just left my local Ford dealer after they refused to service my F-53 ford mo ho on the grounds that it was too big. Now ths is not a old time Mom and Pop dealer, this is a dealer with multipal brands. My question is what if would no longer move? What if it was a major warrenty issue and not just an oil change? Is there no recorse? Whar would you do?

If it were a chevy, the dealership would have to be a truck facility (not talking pickups) and assume that Ford is the same way. Have you called Ford Motor Company for their input as yet and this will get you more in the way of quick and quality service somewhere.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford, Chevy, GMC, Daimler dealers are franchised as car dealerships, truck dealerships, or both. Car dealerships can sell and service passenger cars, small trucks, and vans. Truck dealerships sell trucks only, and are equipped to service large trucks.

Cities 200,000 to 500,000 will usually have one truck dealership each manufacturer, Ford, GM, Daimler (Chrysler got out of the medium and heavy truck business under the terms of the first Federal bailout in the 70s).

The first will always be a Ford dealer, the second used to be either GMC or Chevy, now tend to be combined Chevy/GMC (and might also be a truck service center for other brands). The dealer handling Daimler trucks, whatever brand, will usually be a Freightliner center in the U.S., although a select M-B dealer might service the Sprinter only, but not necessarily motorhomes built on M-B Sprinter chassis.

Larger Metro areas may have multiple truck dealerships, in the proportion one for every 5-10 locations for car dealerships. Most will be on the fringes of the area, one of more of the suburbs or bedroom communities.

Where all the dealerships have one owner, the service consultants are usually pretty quick to direct you to the location of their truck service center. Where a competing dealer owns the truck center, the service guy may not be so helpful.

In rural areas, smaller dealers in small cities 50-200 miles from the nearest metro area will usually be combined car and truck dealers, might even have franchises for multiple brands crossing manufacturer lines. In rural areas, a quarter to half of sales will be larger trucks, but sales are not enough to support separate truck dealerships.

My small town Ford dealer sells medium-duty trucks and will service RVs (even those on GM chassis). They can handle an oil change by pulling partly into one of the Quick Change bays, but for any more work, an appointment is needed, because they have only one truck size bay, and some jobs can tie that up for a day or even several days.

For your Class 4, 5, 6 truck, what your motorhome is to a car or truck dealer, find the truck dealership.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Magic City Motor Corp in Roanoke, Va is the closest Ford Commercial truck dealer to you.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
robsouth wrote:
Not uncommon for a specific dealer to not accommodate motorhomes. Some can, especially if they have a heavy truck division, but most will not, especially those with multiple brands indicating that they are into car and light truck sales and service. Look around your area for another dealer, or the one you went to should be able to recommend one. Been there, done that several years back.

Yes, what he ^ said. They are not going to change your oil or work on your motorhome in the parking lot. It may even be illegal for them to do so because of the risk of spilling oil. If they don't have a bay big enough for your motorhome they aren't going to work on it, as you just found out.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
blknomad wrote:
My question is what if would no longer move? A wrecker could get it moved!What if it was a major warrenty issue and not just an oil change? A dealer who could wok on it would have to do the work. Probably a dealer who sells big trucks, not just Ford Focus!Is there no recorse? Recourse against whom, the dealer who would not work on it? What would you do, file a lawsuit for discrimination? It is the dealer's business, they do not have to work on big vehicles they can not accommodate. Whar would you do? I would get on the telephone and start calling other dealers, especially ones who sell big trucks and see if they will work on it. I would consider finding a RV dealer who does this kind of work. I would consider checking with truck stops and truck service plazas.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
zmotorsports wrote:
Keep in mind also that a Ford/Chevrolet/Dodge dealer are individually owned and operated, just a franchise and reserve the right to refuse service. I don't even think they need a reason other than they just don't want to do it.

Personally, working on RV's sucks. You would think being so large that there would be more room to work on them. Just the opposite, a real pain to work on.

Many shops around here simply will not work on motorhomes, period.

Mike.

I agree that is the reason why most shops will not work on RV's. The truck shop where I take my coach takes a different approach. Sure RV's are tough to work on and repairs take longer than a similar repair on a truck. He doesn't care since he charges by the hour and if your RV takes twice as long, he collects twice as much labor.
Since he does work on commercial trucks as well as RV's, his shop is always busy and the work done is first class.

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind also that a Ford/Chevrolet/Dodge dealer are individually owned and operated, just a franchise and reserve the right to refuse service. I don't even think they need a reason other than they just don't want to do it.

Personally, working on RV's sucks. You would think being so large that there would be more room to work on them. Just the opposite, a real pain to work on.

Many shops around here simply will not work on motorhomes, period.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
They might have done you a favor. Our local Ford dealer can't get an oil change done right. They left the hood unlatched on my wife's Explorer, I found out about it running 55mph down the highway. Thank goodness for safety latches. Brought in my 2005 F250 diesel ONCE, they left the hood unlatched on that one also. I discovered it before I left. Took my present F150 Eco in for an oil change just before towing our RV out to Arizona last September. Got it home and discovered that oil had been blown all over the top of the engine, apparently started without the oil cap on. Now I drive 25 miles to get an oil change done at another dealership.

Find an independent shop that has the right equipment and experienced staff. That doesn't mean A-1 Oil Change or the like.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First: Where did you buy your Ford? The Ford Dealer or an RV dealer, The RV dealer can suggest a service facility if they do not do it themselves.

I've had a few oil changes done on my chevy.

One at CW, they not only got it wrong (used wrong oil) they charged me too much.

Second at Authorized Workhorse Service/Chevy Dealer He had large bays and with the ground clearance, Who needs a hoist.

Rest at an RV dealer with a service dept.. Like the Chevy dealer, they use a crawler not a hoist.

You need not go to a Ford Dealer.. Just a reputable dealer or service center.

Heck, When I had a minor problem (Half my serp belt did some nasty things... Took me like 2 hours on my back under the rig to untangle it from the works) I pulled into a truck service faclicity on their oil change bay.. His techs took about 15 minutes to change the belt from that angle... They were very honest about it and the guy said he felt bad charging me half an hour's labor.

The whole job cost me about what a 1 hour minimum would have where I normally shop.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
With Ford all you have to do is ask the Service Department General Manager to locate/refer you to their Ford Truck Center.

They send 'all' their customers with big trucks or trucks that need a bigger lift for service to their closest designated Ford Truck Service Center. Been traveling for 6 years now and have never run across a town that didn't have one and I was referred to them by the local Ford Dealer. So they expected my arrival.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heck I couldn't get service work done on my Quad Cab Longbed truck at a dealer on the road........it was too long to fit on their lift.

So I went down the road to a local independent mechanic.

It is what it is.......
You just have to check out different places......even might have to use a commercial truck shop.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

robsouth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not uncommon for a specific dealer to not accommodate motorhomes. Some can, especially if they have a heavy truck division, but most will not, especially those with multiple brands indicating that they are into car and light truck sales and service. Look around your area for another dealer, or the one you went to should be able to recommend one. Been there, done that several years back.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I get my oil changed at a local RV dealer. They have the capacity to do it.
2013 ACE 29.2