cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV problems

95impala
Explorer
Explorer
I am a newb to class A world and recently bought a 2007 Hurricane 34B. It has tube TV's front and back and has what I believe is a Winegard control unit as well as digital convertors. I can't get the rear tv to work at all, only static and the front pulls is intermittent. I have no manuals and could use some advice.
Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Same "problem" here. Front analog TV works, bedroom analog TV doesn't. The older TVs must have that digital to analog converter box.
My front TV has one. No problem. The bedroom TV does not. So...anytime I must use the antenna, no bedroom TV. I DO happen to have another converter box...but the bedroom TV is simply not that important to us. So it sits. BTW, I haven't used my antenna in about 2 -3 years. The cgs' I stop at all have cable.
However...cable and sat come in just fine both TVs.. I will be converting to flat screen (read; digital) TVs in the near future.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
FuzzyKnight wrote:
Do you have a digital antenna??

A digital antenna is just an antenna. My 20yo amplified analog antenna picks up every digital TV signal around, just like my neighbors with newer RVs. No matter where I am in the US or Canada, or even in Mexico. And some analog stations at the same time too. Just need to go through a digital tuner before running to my analog TVs. I also have a newer analog/digital VCR/DVD unit that's happy with the signals from the old analog antenna system.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
If the TV is a glass tube, there is a 99.99% chance they are not digital. There were very very few of those made and none of them were by RCA. The 24" RCA in my '06 was analog, went straight to the trash, and I know the following year Winnes were the same because they were exhausting stock.

I had a 19" LCD in the back that was also analog. Whoda' thunk..

Any TV's manufactured after '06 were required to have digital tuners for over the air dtv. Our 24" tube RCA's in our Hurricane were digital.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
If the TV is a glass tube, there is a 99.99% chance they are not digital. There were very very few of those made and none of them were by RCA. The 24" RCA in my '06 was analog, went straight to the trash, and I know the following year Winnes were the same because they were exhausting stock.

I had a 19" LCD in the back that was also analog. Whoda' thunk..
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

FuzzyKnight
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a digital antenna??
Fuzzy and Mary
1994 Pace Arrow 33
1928 Model A
1953 Ford Club Coupe
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero Original factory V8 4 spd
1963 Fairlane SportsCoupe
1965 Honda SuperHawk

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need a stb for over the air hd, if your tv's are the 24" rca's. They have built in digital tuners. On our '08 the rear tv cable outlet wasn't connected behind the box in front upper cabinet. In the back of the cabinet you should have a plate labelled satellite tv connection. If any grey coaxial cables are connected, more then likely one of them is your rear tv. Wires only get connected to that plate if you have sat tv. Previous owner may have had a carry out or a dome on the roof. BTW if you have the original antenna on the roof, switch it out for the Jack antenna, big difference.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, on the box of many buttons you don't turn the green light off you leave it on, You may need to clean the switches some.. To do this.

Turn off the green light (yes I know what I just typed) push each button save power one after the other like 20 to 50 timnes, Turn the light back on.

Now How is your digital converter installed (you are gonna have to trace some wire here)

If you have two tv's and converters odds are it is like this

Switch box----converter----TV

If you have ONE converter.. Try this configuration

Switch box--vcr line--converter--vcr or DVR---switch box

Select VCR on the TV's for the converter.

My install is custom.. i designed it myself so I won't bore you with it (lots of extra work and coax needed). But it works great, 2 DVR's (networked) Two TV's and Two digital converters.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

95impala
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, I will try suggestions and get back with success story, I hope

randco
Explorer
Explorer
I will assume that all connections to the box of many buttons are correct and that your bat wing antenna is deployed and has been adjusted to the proper direction to receive signals. On the front panel of the "box" make certain that the Power ON button is pressed. Also check to see if the buttons for TV Ant are pushed in for Main TV and TV2.

Turn the TV's on and make certain that they are both set to receive signals from AIR

You indicate that you have digital converters. Make certain that the converters are on. You will need to run a the Setup menu on the converter. Find the section that must be used to SCAN for a signal.

If the antenna is pointed in the proper position and all wiring is connected properly your converters should be receiving signals.

The main thing to remember is that you will need to run the converter setup every time you move your RV.

I hope this helps.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
What it sounds like you DON'T have are digital Set Top converter boxes (STB). If you are going to watch TV off of the antenna, you need one STB for each TV to see any of the full power TV stations. There are analog low power transmitters still out there, but very few and they're going fast.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

95impala
Explorer
Explorer
We have the box of many buttons

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a seperate remote for our back tv that must be used. We have to have the front tv on also as we haven't figured out how to operate the rear tv by itself.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Which winegard control unit do you have The wall plate or the box of many buttons.

If you have the wall plate you will need a 2nd digital converter for the back if it is an older TV (or a new TV whichever you like better).

If you have the box of many buttons, you may have other options.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have HD tuners in the TV you will have a problem watching over the air. Our govt. decided we should all have HD and the tube TVs are obsolete. Since we mostly read books I still haven't gotten around to changing mine out either.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford