cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Dolly Questions ???

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a new car, but it can't be towed 4 wheels down........so thinking of a tow dolly. I've never had one. So, I'm looking for any and all comments, pros and cons concerning the use of a tow dolly. Thanks
Brian

PS: I assume any front wheel car can be towed on a dolly, like a Ford Escape?
37 REPLIES 37

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy, Saturn vue, tow 4 down

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
I have read several of these post of people who are downing the use of tow dollies and I'm pretty sure I know what you are doing.
First, tow dollies as are trailer axels are made with a certain amount of caster and toe-in so it will self center after a turn same as a car. If your receiver is not the proper height it won't track straight.
Second, If your straps get loose, you didn't put them on properly. I may have to add a click to the strap ratchet but not often.
Third, How do you hook up your 4 down in the rain? The tow bar pins, the safety cables, the light wire, how long do you have to idle and run through the gears to oil the trans? How often do you stop to do this? Did you pull the fuse? Install brake controller? Must be Magic.
Fourth, I can back my dolly and car just as far as you can your 4 down.
Finally, DW and I can load our car and strap it less than 10min. and unload it in 2min.

If you decide to go with a tow dolly, get a good one It will be cheaper than having nice car butchered to install tow hooks and having to buy a brake controller.

Sorry I had to vent.

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why anybody would do the dolly thing intentionally.
Among other issues, you would need to check weight, both weight bearing capacity and CGVWR. For me, it's pretty close to max gross weight with just a tow bar setup.
Some state require the tow dolly to have its own tag.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
hershey wrote:
If your heart is set on a particular car that isn't towable four down, your only choices are: a tow dolly, most cases that will work, check before you buy, and Remco Industries. Remco can provide you with alternatives that may be available to you. Lube pumps, drive line disconnects etc. With those alterations, you can tow most any car.

Just to update your info, Remco no longer makes or sells drive shaft disconnects.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
The OP said "I'm looking at a new car, but it can't be towed 4 wheels down".
That limits the OP to a dolly.

I see a lot of comments against his only option, by people that do not use a tow dolly. I fail to understand why.

We have had an Acme EZ dolly for 3+ years now.
All welded construction and American made.
Built in Surge Disk Breaks and LED lights.
There is NOTHING else to buy or install.
Tongue weight is under 50 lbs.
Total Weight is under 400 lbs and at age 67+ I can easily roll it around.

Setup is around 10 min and we are off and running.
I took reflective tape and marked where the ramp center need to be so
when I setup they are ready.

The unit tracks well and I have to remember to check that it is there.

Simple, easy and effective.
We are pleased with it.

Nascarcruzin
Explorer
Explorer
I have used both and I hope I never have to use a tow dolly again! 4 down is the only way to go. It may cost a little more upfront but in my opinion it is well worth it.

Ronnie & Rebecca

Soddy Daisy, TN
Full-timing since 2004
Check out our adventures:
North to Alaska 2011

Travel Journal Enter the password - 12345
2008 Alaskan adventure
2009 Northeast coast and Canadian Maritimes

1999 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40WDS
FMCA #388387

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
If your heart is set on a particular car that isn't towable four down, your only choices are: a tow dolly, most cases that will work, check before you buy, and Remco Industries. Remco can provide you with alternatives that may be available to you. Lube pumps, drive line disconnects etc. With those alterations, you can tow most any car.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
I'm looking at a new car, but it can't be towed 4 wheels down........so thinking of a tow dolly. I've never had one. So, I'm looking for any and all comments, pros and cons concerning the use of a tow dolly. Thanks
Brian

PS: I assume any front wheel car can be towed on a dolly, like a Ford Escape?

I looked at the escape. It is the only Ford for 2015 that is not flat towable. I ended up selling my Mountain Aire and bought my neighbor's Roadtrek so I don't need a toad.
One possible problem with a dolly is if you have enough clearance at the rear when the front end is up on the dolly.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Major_Tom_I
Explorer
Explorer
I have also had both, a Jeep that we pulled 4 wheels down, now we have a Master dolly that we pull with Kia. There are pros and cons with both, I like the fact that I can tow any front wheel drive vehicle. Dolly has surge brakes on it. Good luck either way you decide.

draboo
Explorer
Explorer
We just traveled 2200 miles towing our 92 Tracker backwards behind our 02 HR Neptune DP. I couldnt tell it was back there.(except for the rear view camera)

It was our first time using the dolly. So far..so good!

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
4 down is the way to go....connects/disconnects are a 60 second task, nothing extra to store or maintain ! You can find towbars and supplemental brake systems all over craigs list & eBay....Cheap !
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
All in all, a tow dolly is probably the best alternative to towing four down for a vehicle that can't be towed four down. It may not be the best choice for everyone but it does work and many people are comfortable using it. Another choice can be a lube pump or another alteration to your toad by Remco that will make a normally non-towable car, towable.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
In all my miles of towing a dolly, I have never had any such incident as described above! In fact, I have only had one trailer that whipped back and forth as described above. It was home-made, and very poorly built.
My Demco Kar Kaddy KK260 is rock solid behind the motor home, with the PT Cruiser on it. Come to think of it, it towed rather nicely when empty, with the steering pinned.
Usually, though, I tow the truck. It seems there is always a need for it; something that needs to be hauled that won't fit in the PT! the truck MUST be towed four down or on a trailer. Dolly towing is not an option, unless the rear drive shaft is removed, which I do not want to do now that I have achieved 70+ years.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

nbargolf
Explorer
Explorer
X2
Effy wrote:
I owned and used a dolly for 2 years to use for our civic which can't be towed 4 down.

Pros:
-It's pretty universal to a lot of vehicles
-nothing permanent to do to the towed vehicle.

Cons:
-In the rain it's nearly impossible to load a car
-in the snow it is impossible to load on a car
-straps are a pain
-takes much longer to hook, unhook
-storage
-another axle and wheels to maintain
-heavy to move around
-you have to find a spot for it at a CG - although ours fit under the rear of the mh, but I had to manually put it there since you can't back up. Fun if you have a hilly site or gravel.

In a nutshell a dolly is an option to tow a car when you don't have a car that can be towed 4 down. But it's a HUGE hassle. HUGE. Some on here will tell you it takes no longer and it's just as easy. And I call BS. I've done both.

We recently got rid of the civic for a CRV and 80% of the reason was to be able to tow 4 down. It is so much easier. Before it took me about 10-15 minutes to set up the dolly - this is contingent on how many times I have to line it up to center it on the dolly, put on the straps (dirty and cumbersome chore and super fun in the cold or rain). With my new setup it literally takes 3 minutes and that's only because I have to let the car idle that long. Hookup and disconnect takes about a minute. I don't have to line up perfectly because the arms articulate. Just 2 pins, chains and plug in the electric. I don't have to crawl on the ground and wrap my hands around the wheel to set up straps. Once I smashed the front of the civic on the dolly trying to load it in the snow and the car slid off the ramps and hit the front fascia. I could not wait to get rid of the dolly.

I am loving life 4 down. There is no comparison. I would strongly urge you to consider a vehicle that can be towed 4 down.

But like I said, a dolly is an option. But let's face it, if every car could be towed 4 down, dollys would cease to exist.

And no, not all front wheel drive cars can be towed on a dolly. Check the manual.

nbargolf
Explorer
Explorer
Watched a fellow camper hook up he's dolly it took 30 minutes. Our 4 down takes 5 minutes