cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two RVs hit head on - Hwy 49 in California

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two RVs collided head on while traveling on Hwy 49 near Grass Valley today. Single driver in the smaller RV and a couple in the larger one....Prayers for the families...Dennis

Story
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG
47 REPLIES 47

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Maybe we should make it illegal for the driver in a vehicle to talk to passengers as studies have also shown that is distracted driving and can be just as distracting as a cell phone. And kids should be banned from cars too because they are more distracting than cell phones. Where does it end?

My only comment to this is :R. I suspect your comments are tongue in cheek.

Actually, no they aren't. There are people who would suggest laws like this. It's just that I'm a retired cop and even I think we have too many laws and more laws to solve every single problem in society isn't always the answer. It's already illegal in most every state to use a cell phone while driving yet people still do it. Laws don't always solve the problems they are intended to solve.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Maybe we should make it illegal for the driver in a vehicle to talk to passengers as studies have also shown that is distracted driving and can be just as distracting as a cell phone. And kids should be banned from cars too because they are more distracting than cell phones. Where does it end?

My only comment to this is :R. I suspect your comments are tongue in cheek.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:

Two logical fallacies in one argument here; the appeal to the absurd and the slippery slope.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:

Next point, restricting phones based on GPS speed will never happen as that means no phone use by passengers in the car, passengers in the bus, passengers on the train, etc.

I don't disagree. However, something needs to be done with all the cell phone distracted drivers out there. Remember, it's not legal for passengers in a vehicle to consume alcohol in most locations. So making it illegal for passengers to text should be about the same thing. After all, studies have shown talking on the phone while driving to be the same as drunk driving. And 25 per cent of all traffic accidents now involve cell phone use.

You can bet that if I still had kids at home their phone would have this app. Stop Texting

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a rolled Bluebird. They swerved to avoid someone in their lane to avoid a head on. They flipped it right side up and drove off in it.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
vjstangelo wrote:
I've read on this forum that Winnebago's are the only crash worthy Class A. The reason is a caged assembly construction, but this could be BS.

Many over on the Class C forum claim that this is why they own a C, the cutaway van chassis meets the DOT specs for front end crashes while the A's do not.

Doubt it ,whats the rating ? how many stars?
The only crash tested and passenger rated MH are bluebirds and Prevost.
Steel cage indeed, most are 2x2 construction ...... garden shed spec and come apart just like the picture in the OP's lay it down and your belongings and pink insulation are spread all down the interstate .
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
So that means class B's are the safest. And maybe truck campers, though they seem awfully topheavy to me.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
vjstangelo wrote:
I've read on this forum that Winnebago's are the only crash worthy Class A. The reason is a caged assembly construction, but this could be BS.

Many over on the Class C forum claim that this is why they own a C, the cutaway van chassis meets the DOT specs for front end crashes while the A's do not.

I don't think Winnebago's are built any different than anything in their class. Anytime that you build on top of a platform, like most motorhomes, they will come apart in a crash.

Some motorhomes might be a little stronger but they are still built on a platform chassis. Our 2008 Dynasty was stated as having a semi-monocoque chassis which probably gave it a little more rigidity but it didn't have real front and rear bumpers or really a steel cage as a whole unit.

Everybody be safe out there!
Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
I suppose if crash worthiness is an issue you would do well to buy a class "C". At least the chassis is crash tested and rated and built by a vehicle manufacturer to meet some safety standards.

I know folks often make the statement that their motorhome has a steel framed driver area. I doubt light weight 2" square tubing is much stronger than 2x3 wood framing. It's certianly not as strong as an engineered passenger space in a class "C" with hard point mounted seatbelts and airbags.

I've seen class "A" seat belts attached with lag bolts in 2x4's.

I wonder when something will be done about all the cell phone/texting distracted drivers on the road these days? How many have to die before our legislators say "enough" to the cell phone lobby? It would only take a simple software patch to at least disable texting when a modern GPS enabled cell phone is going more than x MPH. But that might hurt phone sales for Apple and others.

Couple of things, yes Class C chassis have been crash tested, but I don't know about you, I've never seen a full Class C motorhome with the motorhome body and camping gear and fluids and propane and all crash tested. I'd me more than willing to wager that you are safer in a Class A than you are in a Class C simply because in a Class A you are sitting up above the vast majority of other vehicles on the road. If you are going to run head in into a medium size SUV, I personally would rather do it in a Class A where I'll be above the other vehicle, versus a Class C where I'll be down at the same level as the impacting vehicle.

Next point, restricting phones based on GPS speed will never happen as that means no phone use by passengers in the car, passengers in the bus, passengers on the train, etc.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:

I wonder when something will be done about all the cell phone/texting distracted drivers on the road these days? How many have to die before our legislators say "enough" to the cell phone lobby? It would only take a simple software patch to at least disable texting when a modern GPS enabled cell phone is going more than x MPH. But that might hurt phone sales for Apple and others.

Grossman's Misquote of H. L. Mencken (from Murphey's Law, book two):
"Complex problems have simple, easy-to-understand wrong answers."

Tying phone function to the phone's speed seems to me to be an example of this, and one that's often suggested as a way to eliminate this sort of distracted driving. The problem is that there are many common occasions where one may be traveling at speed but not driving: as a passenger in a car, or bus, or train, for instance; and at such times texting is a perfectly valid and safe thing to do.

True. But until someone comes up with a solution to that issue why don't we save a few lives in the meantime. Nobody really "needs" to text, ever, even when they are a passenger. We went for centuries without it. I can always spot the folks in front of me who are on the phone. Their speed varies up and down about 10-15 miles every 30 seconds or so.

Couple of months ago a young lady was driving down the highway about a mile from my house and veered across the center line. Killed her and her 2 year old baby daughter in the backseat. Investigation revealed she was posting something on Facebook at the time of the accident. While travelling at 60 MPH.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
hohenwald48 wrote:

Grossman's Misquote of H. L. Mencken (from Murphey's Law, book two):
"Complex problems have simple, easy-to-understand wrong answers."

Tying phone function to the phone's speed seems to me to be an example of this, and one that's often suggested as a way to eliminate this sort of distracted driving. The problem is that there are many common occasions where one may be traveling at speed but not driving: as a passenger in a car, or bus, or train, for instance; and at such times texting is a perfectly valid and safe thing to do.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose if crash worthiness is an issue you would do well to buy a class "C". At least the chassis is crash tested and rated and built by a vehicle manufacturer to meet some safety standards.

I know folks often make the statement that their motorhome has a steel framed driver area. I doubt light weight 2" square tubing is much stronger than 2x3 wood framing. It's certianly not as strong as an engineered passenger space in a class "C" with hard point mounted seatbelts and airbags.

I've seen class "A" seat belts attached with lag bolts in 2x4's.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see there was no fire. With that amount of damage, there could easily have been. That would have made things exponentially worse in short order.

Chum lee