cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

UG! RV won't start

spearharper
Explorer
Explorer
OK so last year had a similar problem, replaced the starter, the starter switch. I just replaced the motor battery. I get two "clicks" one from turning the ket on and then I hear the starter switch kick off but the start never kicks on. Any ideas?
Lance & Laura
'96 Four Winds
30' Hurricane
Washington

โ€œI didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrongโ€
-Benjamin Franklin
12 REPLIES 12

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
96bounder wrote:
Also check your ground connections they are often overlooked and can create many problems

Yep, the ground strap from the engine to the frame. That's a good call bounder.

On Edit:

Search the internet for troubleshooting the starter. There should be some very good examples of how to can use a meter to figure out what is bad. This way you won't waste your money on parts that you don't need. You can even check the ground of the starter easily saving effort.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
The one attached to the starter is the big buck one because it's an assembly, you HAVE to buy the starter with when that one goes.

:B

If you can find a rebuild shop they should have that solenoid in stock.I keep several on the shelf at all times.

I have heard this complaint from my customers several times.the problem I usually discover is that the connecting wire coming from the starter motor to the solenoid on the starter has worked loose causing a bad connection.

Also check your ground connections they are often overlooked and can create many problems
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

spearharper
Explorer
Explorer
The one I did replace look just like those ....
Lance & Laura
'96 Four Winds
30' Hurricane
Washington

-Benjamin Franklin

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
The relay that you changed, did it look like THESE?

That is the one which goes most often.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
spearharper wrote:
OK more info would have helped huh! OK Ford 460, new battery & relay, no change when I put the house battery boost on. All battery connections have been cleaned. At this point I am think I have to get to the new starter and see if those connections are corroded or have gotten loose ....

Hate to repeat my self but there are SEVERAL relays on that Ford! One is bad.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

spearharper
Explorer
Explorer
OK more info would have helped huh! OK Ford 460, new battery & relay, no change when I put the house battery boost on. All battery connections have been cleaned. At this point I am think I have to get to the new starter and see if those connections are corroded or have gotten loose ....
Lance & Laura
'96 Four Winds
30' Hurricane
Washington

-Benjamin Franklin

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
If it's a Ford, I would check the starter relay. Will be buried on the frame rail to the left front of the engine. $40 for an OEM part.

YUP! There are about 4 or 5 of those darn solenoids buried in the engine compartment of the Ford's. The first one that usually goes is the one on the passenger side up on the wheel well.

Pain in the butt but like he said they are inexpensive. The one attached to the starter is the big buck one because it's an assembly, you HAVE to buy the starter with when that one goes.

All you do is have some one turn the key and someone under the hood testing each relay until you find the dead one.

What ever happened to the good ole days when all you did was take the 'one and only' starter solenoid out and replace it? I'd like to meet the guy that decided to put 4 more of them in there to start the engine? :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
If it's a Ford, I would check the starter relay. Will be buried on the frame rail to the left front of the engine. $40 for an OEM part.

X2
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does it make any difference when you use the boost switch to bring in the house batteries?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would suspect low voltage. Did you clean the battery terminals?

Turn on headlights. Try starting with the headlights on. If they dim to almost nothing, low voltage. If they are bright, and do not dim while trying to start, then look towards the relay, or starter
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a digital multi-meter? If so, check the voltage going to your starter.

When you say "starter switch", do you mean the starter relay?

What engine and chassis do you have?

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10