cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

up grading TV's

Cfgrove99
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor and I'm planning on upgrading both TV's. The front TV is over the drivers seat, any idea's?? Is it easier to just mount a flat screen in the open hole or take the actual cabinet out and replace it? Thanks Carl.
13 REPLIES 13

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a ultra thin 32" vizio (14#) in my front overhead cabinet. I mounted a 13" ht X 24"w pc of 3/4 plywood about 3" back into the cabinet which gives me a nice face plate to mount the articulating (80# capacity) arm on. I attached the plate to the sides of the cabn't w/1-1/2" alum angle mounted vertically and angled to match the front angle of the cabn't. The bottom of the TV extends back into the opening and rests on the bottom of the cabinet. I keep it from coming out w/ a 3/4" strap and buckle that wraps around the entire cabinet and TV. I am still looking for a better way hold the TV in while traveling.I have a space at the top that I will close w/ some type of black fabric. There is still room inside the cabinet for a sound bar in the future. I was able to connect the new TV to my radio speaker sound system that the old CRT TV could not do. It sounds better and looks great.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Cfgrove99 wrote:
I just purchased a 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor and I'm planning on upgrading both TV's. The front TV is over the drivers seat, any idea's?? Is it easier to just mount a flat screen in the open hole or take the actual cabinet out and replace it? Thanks Carl.

I simply removed the old tv over the driver's seat, mounted a vertical 2 x 4 inside the cabinet on the right side of the cabinet, mounted a swing arm mount to the 2 x 4, and keep it pulled into the cabinet face with a bungee cord inside the cabinet, so nothing but the tv is visible. I left the old black trim at the bottom and the new tv rests on that black trim when snugged up to the cabinet. When parked, we can pull the tv out and swing it into the center of the coach for easier viewing.

On the rear tv, I did a similar installation. I did add a small black trim strip at the top of the cabinet.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would shorten the cabinet by cutting off 6-8" so you are less likely to hit your head. But a bigger LED TV than the current hole... LED because they are very thin and light. I would probably use a large gate hinge mounted to the top of the box and pivot it up to open.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if this link will work.

Click to see TV swap

If this works, it will show my 2000 Monaco with over the driver TV being replaced with new cabinets and a 32" TV. done in 2008.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Do an advanced search. There are a lot of different upgrades out there. Go back over 12 months.

Here is a thread with our upgrade on the previous MH.

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
We mounted a swing arm TV mount in the cabinet. We put a Velcro strap across it when traveling. We can swing the TV out to get to the cabinet and behind the TV. We purchased one that could hold a much heavier TV so the vibration would not bother it. We are very pleased with the results.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am in the middle of this upgrade but here is how I am doing it.

I removed the old power hungry CRT TV and donated it... IT's history now.

I managed to seperate the bottom of the cabinet from the sides, Cut the sides so they are now "Flat bottomed" as it were and re-attached the bottom, now flat.. Cut down the trim so it fits, and am having a custom panel made which will become a door, along with a few extra fittings a very useful door, I'll mount the flat screen to the door, eventually..

Inside the cabinet I plan on lying 2x2 "Furing" strips so I can route cables in walls, I'll put in some PVC tubes for cables that go from side to side, this is all to make future additions easier, not entirely necessary..

Then Ill panel inside the new Cabinet, and add shelves,, All my CDs (Well most of them) DVD's and perhaps some other stuff will get stored there. Major clean up will free up other cabinets and make my day.

Right now it looks good, (With TV and trim in place) but it's a long way from done (Good day's work)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Many folks on this forum have made some amazing changes with their front TV's. Some simple and some a bit more complicated. I did not like having the TV in the front so removed the CRT and built a cabinet into the space. Then pulled cable to an area behind the dinette and mounted a TV on swing arm. This is the time to decide if you just want to replace the CRT with a new LED in the same place or relocate. Search on the forum and find the many great projects in addition to those already shared here.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the swap without reworking the cabinet. Mounted the TV outside the original framing for the original. Went from a 27 analog to a 32 digital.

Before

After

More images of the project.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the old TV and then removed the side rails that were screwed to the inside of the cabinet. I then built a 4 sided frame to fit the opening.

I then drilled 2 (5/16)holes thru each side and remove the frame. I screwed in 4 threaded inserts into the frame to accept the 4 stainless screws that I purchased. Then I fitted a 1/2 piece of plywood to the front of the frame and mounted the TV to it.

Finished View
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

Cfgrove99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick responses.. I appreciate your help..

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found the biggest TV I could that would fit in the hole behind the factory trim and made two thin spacers covered with black cloth to fill in the top and bottom gap. I had a 27" in front which I replaced with a 32" and a 24 or something in the bedroom.

Turns out there are a bunch of different sizes within any given size. Some 32s had side speakers or a large border of plastic, speakers on the bottom and some have rear facing speakers so are very small footprint. Most the websites have out side dimensions.

I bought by size rather than brand or picture quality rating thinking that any HD would be better than the tube TV.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

teamster_tom
Explorer
Explorer
I would mount a swing arm mount inside the cabinet and depending on the tv size it can be pushed back to cover the opening or pulled out, tilted, and swiveled. You can still have access to the cabinet and keep your wires hidden in it. I bought a couple of these mounts for 29" flat panels for under $ 20.00 each including HDMI cables on line.