cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Use of only 30 amp service

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We have a newly purchased 2015 Tiffin Allegro Open Road, 37',V-10.

Was wondering if we can operate on only 30 amp service if we are
very careful with our electric useage. Only one A/c at a time,
and don't run the toaster and coffee pot at the same time. Things
like that. We have so many power things--front night shade, awning,
two inside TV's, combo washer and dryer, etc. Appreciate any and
all comments
17 REPLIES 17

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Normally do it half the time in the Summer and 2/3 in the winter. So the answer is yes. Most devices (Air conditioenrs are the exception) you can check the watts.. Round off watts to the nearest 100, that is right close to your AMPS draw for that device.. NOTE: This applies to heaters, and cooking devices)

Motor driven stuff (Residential Fridge, air compressor) is different.

NOTE: THIS INCLUDES 12 volt stuff.. Since the converter sucks 120vac

Add up what you ahve turne don.. long about 27 stop turning things on.

Air Conditioners, figure 15, no matter what.. You may need to go higher.
Microwave read the ID tage, a 700 watt MW may well draw 1100 watts (an 11).

Most kitchen stuff is in the 7 range.

Hair dryers and space heaters are 12-15
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
You'll learn to manage as you go along. How you manage depends on the weather. If it's really hot, you'll need to shut everything down to keep the A/C (s) running.

As stated, you can turn the refer and water heater to gas. You can also turn off your battery charger during the day and save several amps and then turn it back on in the evening.....make sure you leave yourself a note.

During cold weather camping, you can plug an extension cord into the second outlet at the shore power box, run it into the coach through a window or other opening and power an electric space heater, freeing up the rest of the 30 amps for other uses.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
carp65 wrote:
We have a newly purchased 2015 Tiffin Allegro Open Road, 37',V-10.

Was wondering if we can operate on only 30 amp service if we are
very careful with our electric useage. Only one A/c at a time,
and don't run the toaster and coffee pot at the same time. Things
like that. We have so many power things--front night shade, awning,
two inside TV's, combo washer and dryer, etc. Appreciate any and
all comments

Not likely all this is going to be on at the same time, so no problem and as long as you're logical about usage. In addition, you can split your rear ac feed with a 20amp plug and outlet and not all that difficult for one with some electrical knowledge.
When plugged in, all is normal and when unplugged, it can then be plugged into a separate outlet on the pedestal to run the rear ac and leaving 30amps for the rest of the coach, including the front ac.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I routinely get by with 30amp service even though I have to reduce my 50amp cord with a 30amp adapter. I use my water heater almost all the time and on those cool nights, I'll use my 1500watt space heater on low which only draws 800watts. If we need to use the microwave, we turn off the water heater for awhile - same of a hair dryer. You can easily get by on 30 amps as long as you remember you can't operate more than two large draw appliances at a time. The water heater and the air conditioner - the air conditioner and the microwave - on a cold night, we'll run two heaters on their low 800watt settings and leave the water heater on. If it's really cold, I turn off the water heater and turn one of the heaters on high and that usually keeps us warm and toasty.

I also use dielectric grease on my plugs to prevent the corrosion that causes increased resistance and heat which turns the plugs black and ruins the sockets. I haven't had any problems with my cords since I started using the dielectric grease - highly recommended!
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Good point. If you do not have a Surge suppressor which shuts down at 104, get a PI. I also keep a Kill-A-Watt plugged in to see available volts.

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
We are on 30 amp instead of 50. With no air or hot water it stays between 117 to 119 volts but with 1 air conditioner on it is between 108 and 111 volts. The hot water tank is on gas. What is the voltage drop with 2 air conditioners running. I would be afraid there would be damage with low voltage with everything running. I'm not a electrician but have been told to try to keep the volts around 110.
2008 Damon Challenger 378 on Workhorse chassis, 2008 HHR panel toad.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Yes. You can. We have a 36LA. On some 30 amp we can run 2 AC. Under powered CG only 1. We always put HW & fridge on gas, with 30 amp. Our coffee pot is also a thermos carafe so it is off after 5 min and ac is back on.

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I am surprised it doesnt have power management.

I run both ACs routinely on 30A with it. It manages compressor starts.

Another tactic is to add a receptacle somewhere and run a separate power cord and plug it into the extra 15/20A recep at the pedestal.

Mine was convenient to place in the bed pedestal near the bathroom and DW uses it for her hair dryer on 30A.

This^^^

The power management panel (digital that tells you what power you are using) will turn on the second A/C only if there is enough power and will turn it off if you pull to much from say a microwave. As pointed out above two A/C's can run just fine but the power management controller in your RV will control when the second A/C turns on to keep power levels manageable (it will wait a while to know you are done microwaving and to let the A/C compressor rest before starting it again). Don't be surprised though if you are running lots of other things that the second A/C shuts off or doesn't run as often.

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats and YES you will be fine on 30Amp. We turn hot water to gas and run only one AC at a time. Usually no problems as long as microwave/coffe pot/ hairdryer are not one at the same time. Worst case you trip a circuit breaker and then don't do that combo again.

I suggest you also monitor voltage - some parks can be very low an that can cause issues.

ENJOY!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am surprised it doesnt have power management.

I run both ACs routinely on 30A with it. It manages compressor starts.

Another tactic is to add a receptacle somewhere and run a separate power cord and plug it into the extra 15/20A recep at the pedestal.

Mine was convenient to place in the bed pedestal near the bathroom and DW uses it for her hair dryer on 30A.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30 amp connection in my storage garage. I can adjust the inverters for a 30 amp setting. I run the fridge but turn off the hot water tank and the compressor that keeps the air valves working (not needed while in storage).

I run one air unit (13,500 btu) and the house/chassis battery charger. We seem to use about 20-22 amps in this scenario.

So, on your Tiffin, you should do just fine if you watch your electric usage.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Easy, simple rule to follow - single AC and the water heater on gas. In cold heater substitute the AC (unless it's a heat pump) for a space heater.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
325 watts fridge
1200 13500 btu air conditioner (but may draw up to 1900 watts)
1200 water heater on electric

2725 total You will be fine on a 30 amp and will have enough power to operate the converter, too.

Duty cycle on an absorption fridge is 2:3 so it is on 40 minutes of each hour.

Cycling on a ten gallon electric water heater is 15 minutes every four hours if no water is drawn off. Time to first cycle is about 90 minutes on electric.

In the time before I had a hybrid inverter/charger I would flip the water heater off before I cooked or used the coffee maker.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I solved my coffee pot on time down to 5 minutes total for a 10-cup brewing. Then it pours up the brewed coffee into a thermos carafe. The thermo carafe keeps the coffee piping hot all day long so there is no power time required to keep it hot. We are bean coffee lovers so this Cuisinart Grind and Brew Coffee Maker Model DGB-600BC works just great for us.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS