cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used Class A For Fulltiming

gregdennis53
Explorer
Explorer
We are within a year or two of retirement and setting off on some sort of "grand adventure". The plan is to downsize from our large house to a small apartment or condo, and then hit the road to see the USA from coast to coast. We could probably afford a new gasoline Class A, but I think the smart choice is a 4 - 6 year old model. We started the RV lifestyle in a pickup camper and were very happy in that for many years, and we are still dedicated to state parks and smaller DNR style campgrounds in the West. My original idea was a 26 -28 foot Bounder with a Honda Fit or a Mini Cooper as a "toad", but I would be very grateful for your thoughts on the best under 30 foot Class A for "almost full time" use.

Happy Camping.
6 REPLIES 6

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood makes the Storm and Terra in shorter lengths. Winnebago makes a Vista in smaller lengths. Tiffin makes the Allegro in 30'.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
You will get alot of great advice. Here is my .02 worth. Still have my 27 footer for 3 years now and have been FTing it for the past year in temps from the teens to the hundreds. It can be done, and comfortably. Of course, get the floor plan that is most comfortable for you. My entry level coach has worked flawlessly for me. I keep up on the maintenance, keep it clean, and exercise all the gadjets often. The biggest challenge is humidity during the winter months. Humidity is what can harm cabinets and wall coverings. My so called el cheapo cabinets, wall coverings are all still in like new condition. After 11 years, only the carpeting is a bit faded. The only thing I have done was replaced all the plumbing fixtures.
The ultimate decision is yours, but you dont have to get a high dollar rig to get by on. Safe travels
Full timing it since July 2012

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
The Honda Fit is a good choice for a Toad.

I would open your horizons for the coach. Look at all models and seriously consider a used diesel pusher. Make sure you have enough space. Some full time in smaller coaches but many others are sorry they did not purchase something larger.

You not only need to look at the size of the coach - you need to look at the features. The RV Consumer Group rates coaches based on their suitability for full time use.

How much will you be traveling and where? If you are going to spend any time in colder climates, you need to look at how well the coach does in cold weather.

I would search the full time forum. There are have been good discussions about what to purchase for full time.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
Now is a good time to do your research. First read the sticky on First Time Buyers at the beginning of the Class A Forum which has lots of great advice from Johnny T. There is also a Full Timing Forum with lots of good information. My suggestion would be a 4 to 6 year old diesel pusher with as much room as possible. Start looking at all the websites that offer used rvs so that you can get a feel for floor plans and prices. Some links are: RV Trader; RV USA; and RV Online. You should also look at PPL Motorhomes which has a good list of consignment rvs and also prices of the actual dollar amount that recent rvs have sold for: PPL Motorhomes. You should also go look at all rv dealers lots whenever you get a chance. Ask lots of questions on this forum, and do not be afraid to buy a motorhome far away from home for the right price and right floorplan. If you do not have a lot of experience with diesels or motorhome systems, you can always find someone to do an inspection on the unit you plan to buy. Start now and buy next year. March or April may be a good time since it is a slow season.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
What constitutes a rig that is suited for fulltiming? It depends who you ask. I've met people who live in at truck camper, people who live in conversion vans and people who live in Prevosts.

YOUR expectations and needs are what matters. How many miles with you travel? How much space are YOU comfortable with? Will you be towing a vehicle? Large or small?

We spend 7-8 months of the year in our coach. We decided we wanted as reasonable space, so we bought our current 43ft 2-slide coach. After two years, we are still happy with the choice. For me, having an Aqua-Hot for heat and hot water is now a must-have. Once you have one, it's impossible to go back! 😉

Our Executive has top of the line build quality with hardwoods, real tile, etc., etc. Wish list would be a residential fridge, which we may look into at some point.

In the end you have to decide what will make YOU happy and what you can afford.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

tandkj
Explorer
Explorer
I know where you can get a really good qauality 40' Monaco Camelot next year. It currently has 29k on it and has all of the paper work for maintenance as well as the original customer operating instructions. It's mine and we will be off the road next spring if all goes well.
Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.