cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Used Class B Plus RVs American Cruiser, Chinook, R Vision

Terrenski
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to rving and looking to buy my first one. My wife and I are interested in Class B Plus used ones like a Chinook, R Vision, or American Cruiser which are smaller in the 19-21' feet range and don't have a full bed, but fold out sofa and dinette. I would appreciate input on which ones are good models and reasonable prices. There is a 1999 American Cruiser that is clean, has 37,000 miles, and the dealer lowest price is $19,999. If it is in good shape, is that low, high, or reasonable. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Also, any thoughts on how much general upkeep does a rv require.
Thank you
Terrenski
9 REPLIES 9

Terrenski
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. It's always interesting to here about these rvs that aren't around anymore but were built well. I know I have a lot of learning to do feel comfortable buying and maintaining an rv. I appreciate your responses!

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know American Cruiser only made B's, and I've only seen them on the Dodge Ram Van platform. Some had dual rear wheels (added by AmC). One respected poster in the B forum had a SRW one for a short time. He reported that the handling was pretty marginal. He wound up disliking the center-couch/bed floorplan, since it required crawling over the bed to go from front living space to rear bath or kitchen when the bed was set up.

I had a '00 Roadtrek 190 on a Dodge Ram. Handling was, in a word, 'squirrely'. A test drive would be imperative, IMO.

Jim, "They say that the memory is the first.... Wait, what were we talking about?"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron's gotten here to add Phoenix Cruiser, which I was going to do. But I'd also say watch for a TelStar in the older models. Another discontinued, but outstanding, Class B+.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
The R-Vision Trail Lite is a nicely equipped model but was built to entry level standards. We like ours but I did a lot of preventative maintenance to make sure it is leak-resistant. Last fall we paid $20K for our 2005 from a private seller. It did need some TLC. Probably a dealer would have gotten at least $25K for it, but with all systems working.

Chinooks have great reputations, as do Phoenix Cruisers.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If those rigs don't pan out for you, consider adding a Phoenix Cruiser 2100 and a Starflyte. Starflytes are abundant, but the PC-2100 is much better equipped. As with all rigs, cost goes down with age.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Moved to Class C from CVC.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The Sprinters are pretty expensive. You are looking at $40k+ entry level for an '04 or '05 T1N model at the minimum. The cheapest I've found is $42,500 for an '04 Airstream Interstate in San Antonio.

"B" buying is pretty tough. I'd probably check rvtrader, Craigslist, and PPL Motorhomes daily to see if anything pops up. I think things will get a lot better in the next few years. Winnebago is in the process of building another factory for upfitting "B"s, so in a few years, the price of these may be back to sane levels.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d be looking one with a mercedes benz diesel engine ,great fuel mpg and a very reliable engine. the ford dodge chevy chassis have no leg room . and eat fuel. google what your looking for .

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terrenski wrote:
There is a 1999 American Cruiser that is clean, has 37,000 miles, and the dealer lowest price is $19,999. If it is in good shape, is that low, high, or reasonable. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

There are several different models of the American Cruiser, but most are on the Dodge platform. While the dodge motor and transmission are pretty reliable, Dodge did have some severe handling problems in 1998 through 2001 models, and when you see a Dodge RV in those years with low miles, it might be an indication of handling issues.

Also, on older B van motorhomes, you have to make sure there is no rust allow the rain gutters where the fiberglass roof meets the metal body, as well as no rust down the front windshield pillars.

Personally, if I were looking for a Class B+ today, I'd probably get the Coachhouse Platinum at http://sarasota.craigslist.org/rvd/4205429248.html.

Coachhouse is a premium builder, and the platinum has a one piece fiberglass body shell - which means no leaks, no windnoise, and no problems with rust.

I've actually walked through the one linked to above - and it is in nice condition. I imagine there is some negotiating room on the price.

Note: I have no association with the dealer or seller of the above RV. I just happened to drive by their lot and was curious about the condition of the rv.

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL