what mpg is everyone getting with and without an upgrade
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member
29 REPLIES 29

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
pushtoy 2 wrote:
thanks for all the replies. i guess iam right in the ball park.. pulling a 3500lb. car and fully loaded iam getting 6.5 to 7 on a mostly flat road but in the mountains all bets are off.. i dont check it then

^^This is the real answer here.

I get between 6.5 and 8 mpg depending on conditions, generator running or not. I am always towing a toad that scales out at about 5k lbs for the road.

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the replies. i guess iam right in the ball park.. pulling a 3500lb. car and fully loaded iam getting 6.5 to 7 on a mostly flat road but in the mountains all bets are off.. i dont check it then
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
2007 E350 chassis with V10 engine and 5-speed Torqshift trans.
24 footer, aerodynamic rig, weighing in close to GVWR of 11,500
67-68 mph typical cruising speed

10.5 mpg not towing

9.2-9.5 mpg towing our Jeep Liberty 4-down

This is our rig with our 4200 pound tow.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We stay around 7mpg going 70, but were at 6 pulling a full size sedan/ dolly through the mountains this summer... Faster downhill and slower uphill so i figure the same average speed. No mods, 2002 v10.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without an upgrade towing a toad 4-down = 8.5 @63 mph but speed , hills and wind will play into that number. 4.56 gears w/6-speed.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
i always figured 8.0 mpg... uphill, downhill, headwind or tailwind. Towing or not. Seemed it always averaged out to that over a trip.

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
pushtoy 2 wrote:

What upgrade are you talking about? 6 Speed transmission? One of the after market "tune ups"?

Seriously, I might have averaged 6-7 mpg over the year or so I owned one. Might have seen 10 on the Scan Gauge II on a smooth highway once in a while, on cruise, on the flat, with no head/cross winds. The downside to the V10 is eventually you have to drive off the freeways, in traffic, up hills, into headwinds, and and that's when your real "average" mileage gets crushed.
Asking an owner about the Ford V10's mileage, is like asking a fisherman about "the one that got away".
the upgrades are banks and 5 star tune
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've generally averaged around 7.5 - 8.0 mpg, probably closer to the 7.5 mpg. 32' 1998 class C Coachmen Santara motorhome, nothing in tow, no engine or transmission upgrades (i.e. the four speed transmission). I don't use the motorhome because of its exceptional fuel efficiency, but rather for its other unique advantges.

Fuel mileage for a motorhome is quite dependent on speed and hills. If you want to improve your mileage, cruising at 45 mph will very likely do more to help you than 65 mph plus any engine or transmission upgrade you could reasonably make.

A plain E series van might get twice the fuel mileage using the same engine, or nearly so, if I remeber what I've heard properly from people who have them.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
pushtoy 2 wrote:

What upgrade are you talking about? 6 Speed transmission? One of the after market "tune ups"?

Seriously, I might have averaged 6-7 mpg over the year or so I owned one. Might have seen 10 on the Scan Gauge II on a smooth highway once in a while, on cruise, on the flat, with no head/cross winds. The downside to the V10 is eventually you have to drive off the freeways, in traffic, up hills, into headwinds, and and that's when your real "average" mileage gets crushed.
Asking an owner about the Ford V10's mileage, is like asking a fisherman about "the one that got away".
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

bobm253
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Greyhawk 28 foot class C gets approx 10 mpg. I cruise the highways at 62 mph.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I drive 'em empty and rarely get better than 7 MPG. But then I'm usually pushing it to make a flight back.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 34 foot Jayco Redhawk (2019) with the 6 speed. We are at 8.5 not towing, and 8.0 with the Jeep. I've gotten 7.5 with headwind, and 8.2 with tailwind towing our Jeep.

I will say that my "old" F150 with a 5.0L v8 and 6 speed was 15.5 to 16.0 MPG not towing. However, we have a 2019 F150, 5.0L v8 and now the new 10 speed transmission. Same exact set up (crew cab, tow pkge, tire sizes). The 10 speed gets me 17.5 MPG not towing...with the 5.0 having a few more ponies as well.

Point is...would love to see that 10 speed in a motorhome.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
This should be good. :S :R
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
With my 31 ft Class A I get between 7-8 pulling a toad which seems about the norm. This with speeds maintained in the 62-67 range. For me 9+ is but a dream.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
On my 31 foot Jayco Greyhawk(2017), I'm getting 9.9 mpg if I keep my foot out of it. A little less if I pull the toad.The new 6 speed transmission helps a lot.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.