cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

V10 gas mileage

Skyfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Disappointed to only get 8 mpg on my 27' Sunseeker E450 with Triton V-10...I didn't drive over 60 on Interstate, and although there was city stop/go as well, thought I'd get at least 10mpg. Thoughts? Lee
37 REPLIES 37

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't buy any of my 3 previous motorhomes to worry about the gas mileage. The same applies to our new one. It's for fun and enjoyment, not the stress of gas mileage.

Reminds me of an elderly lady in my old hometown many years ago. She bought a new Lincoln. One day at lunch...one of her lunch companions asked her what kind of mileage that beautiful new Lincoln got.

Her reply: Honey, if you have to worry about the gas mileage, you can't afford to drive it.

lol
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
I see there are some who drive below the 70 mph posted in many states.
Here in TN. They have a Slow Poke law now.. not sure how slow you have to be going to get a ticket.

If they're in the proper lane (basically the right hand lane), they won't get a ticket. The law covers slow drivers in the passing lane. The minimum speed on the Interstate is generally posted at something like 40 or 45 mph, and even then if road conditions or vehicle constraints warrant it's presumably legal to travel at a lower speed, though one may be required to use one's four way flashers.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The previous owner of my rig, a friend of the family, carefully tracked his mileage from day one, and stuck religiously to 55 mph.

He was shocked to hear that I was getting better mileage at 65 - 70 than he used to get.

It's all about finding the 'sweet spot' where the engine rpm and gearing hit the best combination.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
I see there are some who drive below the 70 mph posted in many states.
Here in TN. They have a Slow Poke law now.. not sure how slow you have to be going to get a ticket.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Logans wrote:
No need to use the tow/haul with the 6 speed tranny (if you have one). It does help with the older 5 speed transmissions, though.

This is the first motorhome that we've had that we can just leave the cruise control on, and not worry about it.

T/H is there for a reason, on what do base your assumption that there is no need to use it? Unless you are monitoring your transmission fluid temps
you are putting your trans at risk of damage due to running hot.

:h

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
No need to use the tow/haul with the 6 speed tranny (if you have one). It does help with the older 5 speed transmissions, though.

This is the first motorhome that we've had that we can just leave the cruise control on, and not worry about it.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

luvztheoutdoor1
Explorer
Explorer
I get 8 or 9.
Linda
Scout, 10 year old Husky/Shepherd
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
09 30ft. Itasca Cambria, 8.5avg. for the last 25K miles, JK Wrangler toad has no effect.

NC_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
Our 32-foot Jayco Greyhawk class C has the V-10. We average 8.5 mpg while cruising about 61-62 mph. It has 11,000 miles on it.
2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc

Skyfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for responding...we will enjoy the scenery and the other joys of RVing and not worry about the gas. Will look into the 5Star Tuner..merge gently..use certain gas stations..press in the Tow/Haul button more often. Lee Bush (Skyfarmer) Englewood FL

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
You can offset the price of gas by eating meals in the rig instead of in restaurants with tips.

SweetWaterSurpr
Explorer
Explorer
harley-dave wrote:
SweetWaterSurprise wrote:
9MPG plus so far but I recently had my V10 Tuned at 5Star Tuning. I am expecting to be in the 10's soon enough
We also did the 5 star tuner on our 31' class C and our mileage went to 9 from 6.5 - 7.5 MPG. Included a lot of hill climbing so we're hoping for better this winter when we are on the flatter part of AZ.

Dave

The improved shifting and power was enough to make the programming worth it.

Chris_B_in_MD
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back form a 7,285 mile x-counrty trip in our 2010 Fleetwood Jamboree 28Y on an E450 chassis with the V-10 flat towing a manual shift 2003 Subaru Outback. In the mountains it was as low as 6-7mpg & the best on flat ground with a tailwind 9mpg. My wife has a heavy foot, but it seems to get its best mileage if you keep it 65 or under. Tough to do when the speed limit's 80.
Just be happy gas isn't $4/gallon like it was 2 years ago ;-o)

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the RPM that you run, and the tranny.

We run around 2000 RPM (about 62 MPH) with the 6 speed transmission, and get around 11 MPG to 11.5 MPG depending on wind and temperature. Also when we can get gas without ethanol, that gives a couple of tenths better mileage.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v