cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

valve stem extenders

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
going to replace my rear inner wheel valve stem extenders whats the best ones to buy
13 REPLIES 13

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I just had new tires and the Borg long valve stems installed, I think I am going like them, makes it easy to check pressures. I had the braided extenders, until one broke, and I removed the other.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I've posted my experience on several other threads, but will also chime in here. I had the braided extensions and every single time I checked cold pressures, one of the extenders had leaked. I was also told numerous times by other Rv'ers and tire technicians that the extenders were notorious for leaking. I had also installed a TPMS and the sensors would either work part of the time, or read erroneously. I finally broke down and bought these solid valve stems for dually wheels:

Dually Valve Stems

A local shop installed them for me and since then, the pressure only varies due to ambient temps and not due to leaks. I, for one, will NOT use extenders again...braided or solid. I know others have used braided extenders with no problems for many years, but my experience was different.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2, go with Borg. They make very good extenders.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
All you guys that spent too much money and hassle with solid extensions shame on you for spreading fake news. I have used braided for past 10 years with no issues and will continue to use them. They give you a lot of flexibility when moving tires around and you don't have to pay some greedy garage to mount them. Did that shop retorque your tires the correct way? Do you even know what the correct way is? Doubt it. Regardless, you either put all your faith into the shop you trust or you don't. I don't. I used these last time around and found them to be the best I have ever encountered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E9256SG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Google.....Borg Dually Valve Stems. They are highly recommended. I had them installed last year. They have performed flawlessly.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Extenders tend to leak. Use the Bosch dually kit or no extender.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous MH had the braided stainless one, one by one they failed where the hose attached to the fitting. Bought a remote tire pressure system and quit using extenders. Keeps you from having to keep checking pressure at the tires.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the SS extenders from Napa, but which ever ones you buy make sure they are screwed on tight to the short valve stems. When I first put mine one I had a leak in the inner duel tire and could not see the tire was low. Once I found the leak and tighten the extender I have used them for 12 years with no further problems. Knowing what I know now I would check them with soapy water after they are installed including the valve stem itself. I had to replace one of those also.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend the solid one piece extenders from dually valves. They are very well made and I have not had an issue since installing them. I was having leaking issues with the extenders.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have two Stainless braided. One works fine, the other.. I had to remove

But if you need 'em that's what I'd recommend

When I change tires.... Dully Valves will get installed.. Hopefully later this year.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
I went with solid stainless steel from Borg all around.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the steel braided ones on my rv and also on a number of work trucks I have owned, without any problems, however you will hear from a lot of people on here that have had problems.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously the best route is to go with one piece valve stems next time you replace your tires. However, in the meantime I've had good luck in the past with the stainless steel braided ones from NAPA.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy