cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vertically Challenged Driver

mark4Jesus
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking at replacing our travel trailer with a Class A in the 29-34 ft. range. My wife is only 4'11". Her feet do not touch the floor when she sits in the driver's seat, making driving very difficult if not unsafe. Same problem in the passenger seat, but we can get a stool to take care of that. Does anyone have this issue, and, if so, what Class A did you buy?

We have started looking at Class C's because of this, but perfer the openness of the Class A driver/passenger area. Just wondering if there are any Class A's out there for the vertically challenged.
17 REPLIES 17

mark4Jesus
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up getting a Thor Axis 25.4. She can touch the floor and reach the pedals with no problem. She drove it when I did the test drive and was surprised how easy it was for her to drive.

Thanks for all the replies and help!

mark4Jesus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the ideas for us to explore. It will come down to what she is comfortable with. When we go looking next time, I can take some blocks and such with me and see if she is comfortable with them. I can't find a "like" button on posts, otherwise I would have responed to the individual ideas.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
wallynm wrote:
Mount a small block to the floor for her left foot.

Remove when you drive.

mark4Jesus wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
There are several options like This

Thanks! One thing I am wondering. Her left foot still would not be touching the floor, would that not be a problem?

I agree. You can try some different things as a platform for her feet. She may find that if it's just the left foot, that a plastic wheel chock might work. My clipper (1975 dodge sportsman chassis) has a built in foot rest - it goes up at an agle, then levels off as it moves away from the seat. I love it and find it very comfortable.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on modify the seat pedestal. Easy solution.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
While I am over 6 feet tall my seat position was way too far forward and too high to be comfortable with my feet on the pedals. I cut the seat pedestal down 2" and re-welded it 2" farther back. The power seat has more than enough movement to move the seat back to the original position if needed. This may be something you can consider.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem with our '02 Class A. DW is 4'8". The Ford chassis had limited seat adjustment, no pedal adjustment and a fixed-length steering column with very little tilt adjustment. The solution was that I drove every time! Since I'm 5' 8"tall, it was no problem other than short travel days with fairly frequent rest breaks for my minor arthritis issues.

It got to be a bit of a hassle, so we gave up after 4 seasons.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I would just start looking and see what you find. In my experience many modern coach's today are set up better for smaller drivers. I'm only 5'11" & I pity anyone taller driving my coach. My seat is as far back as space allows (FWS) & pedals are retracted all the way & frankly I could use a little more room.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
swphotobug wrote:
Why don't you look at a website for the physically disabled, there might be something there...............

As A Diabetic one company I have dealt with is Wright and Fillipus. THey are a medical needs supplyer.. THey sell preseription shoes for Diabetics, among other things. I have seen the kind of blocks and pedal extensions others have desccribed in their "Stores" and I've seen the price tags.

I thin JC Witny has them and likely at a better price in their catralog.

Just so you know.

I know a young lady that is less than 5' Tall. She is a Veterinarian. and keyboarist When a Keyboardist is playing an organ and they do nto need the pedals normally they hook the heal of their shoes over the cross bar on the bench. She hooks her toes. She can barley reach the pedals.. Plays good though.

She used to be a Lusty Little Angel but she got married. So not she's a Thomas (Dr Angela Thomas)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife is 5'4". She can adjust the pedals up where they suit her well but not being able to rest her feet on the floor bothers her and probably most people.
When she drives the seat is angled down slightly and the wheel forward
It would take some measurements and drawing but a removable wood platform or raised partial floor would be good for her. I'm just not up to it and she likes it her way.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Mount a small block to the floor for her left foot.

Remove when you drive.

mark4Jesus wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

Thanks! One thing I am wondering. Her left foot still would not be touching the floor, would that not be a problem?
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

mark4Jesus
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mark4Jesus
Explorer
Explorer
swphotobug wrote:
Why don't you look at a website for the physically disabled, there might be something there...............

The wife might not like the thought of that, but why not!

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer