cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Very Bad RV Wreck in Oregon

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Here's video that shows a Class A that crashed and hit a tree. The entire roof was pealed off of it!

You Tube Video out of Oregon
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona
29 REPLIES 29

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Not that it makes much difference of the results but a couple of questions arise about the where of the crash.

"It took the Ilwaco Fire Department over an hour"... From Ilwaco it is at least a 30 minute drive to anyplace in Oregon and that includes a 5 mile drive across the Astoriaโ€“Megler Bridge.

Some of the comments in the comments section seem to come from the towing company that is located in Ocean Park, WA. Oregon State Police isn't likely to have them on the call list unless it was an extreme emergency.

And the poster that said "Most roads in Oregon have no guard rails;" must be a transplant. I am an Oregon native for 67 years and driven a vast majority of the roads in the state and have seen many miles of guardrails.

I don't doubt you've seen many miles of guardrails, but the standard is no guard rails on the majority of roads throughout the State.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
................ I can't imagine even driving my DP without insurance + Good Sam, Coach Net, or something.

If you read your contract with your roadside towing company,Good Sam or CoachNet, you will find that they will not tow a wrecked vehicle

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Not that it makes much difference of the results but a couple of questions arise about the where of the crash.

"It took the Ilwaco Fire Department over an hour"... From Ilwaco it is at least a 30 minute drive to anyplace in Oregon and that includes a 5 mile drive across the Astoriaโ€“Megler Bridge.

/snip/

It didn't take the FD an hour to get there; it took them an hour to dig the passenger out of the debris. Re-read the comment....Dennis

The point I was making was that the Ilwaco FD would have been highly unlikely to be called into Oregon. I worded it very poorly.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
There is something disturbing watching someone do a close up film/narrate of an accident while someone is still trapped in the vehicle.
Kevin

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I sure wouldn't be paying to take it to the dump. Part it out and recover some of your money + the car. My family been in the towing business for almost 70 years and if you have a deal with the police you sometimes get stuck and that was a LARGE tow bill but if all that equipment he had was his he is doing ok. You win some you lose some. I can't imagine even driving my DP without insurance + Good Sam, Coach Net, or something.

MrWizard
That wasn't just a roof peel
The RV was sliced In half diagonally
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bet they're 'appeeling' for help.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I was working on posting a big harangue about someone involved in the rescue (the towing company guy) posting a video from an active rescue, from basically inside the scene.

But people just don't seem to care like they used to. Important to get those "likes"!

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Nice time for a drivers door like he has/had.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III

/snip/

It didn't take the FD an hour to get there; it took them an hour to dig the passenger out of the debris. Re-read the comment....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer

Some of the comments in the comments section seem to come from the towing company that is located in Ocean Park, WA. Oregon State Police isn't likely to have them on the call list unless it was an extreme emergency.

And the poster that said "Most roads in Oregon have no guard rails;" must be a transplant. I am an Oregon native for 67 years and driven a vast majority of the roads in the state and have seen many miles of guardrails.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
From the Youtube link, presumably by the tow truck driver:

"The driver of the 36 foot RV fell asleep. The RV went off the right shoulder hitting a large tree. Impact was against the upper corner of the windshield. The tree sheared off the entire roof and right side wall . The passenger was sleeping in the rear bedroom and got pinned beneath the siding and roof. It took the Ilwaco Fire Department over an hour to dig through the debris to extricate her . She appeared to have non life threatening injuries.
Owner of RV told me he only had liability insurance and he had no money to pay for tow. OUCH !!!
3 hours on scene doing the recovery, 3 hours next day cleaning up mess, about $1000 cost to get rid of RV at dump, $300 to get rid of loose debris. Living the dream."
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
In Oregon,by law, all roads are required to be built 1 foot higher than the last 100 year flood. Even in the flat lands it's 1 foot higher also. If you go off the road, the vehicle will usually roll over and onto it's roof. It looked like it was a mountainous road, but it's the same. Get off the road and over you go. Most roads in Oregon have no guard rails; they say because we have no sales tax, they can't afford it.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
ouch !

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tragic. I remember my first ride in an Army M113 and the sergeant instructor saying โ€œDonโ€™t hit no tree!โ€ Then a new butter bar saying โ€œwhy?โ€ The answer was โ€œ...it will spilt this APC...and the tree will kill you.โ€

Think of all that Army paperwork.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad