cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vibration at 70 mph

fisher60
Explorer
Explorer
This vibration started about 6 months ago and is slowly getting worse. I had an alignment done and the front tires re-balanced. No improvement. Yesterday I replaced the front tires and still no improvement. Could this be coming from the rear wheels? How many of you re-balance the rear duals at periodic intervals? Mine are just over three years old and have never been off. Any suggestion is welcome
'01 Dutchman Express 28A, Borg Chrome Dually Valve Stems, Pacific Dualies Wheel Simulators, '06 Tuscon, 2014 FLHTCUTG
Good Sam Life Member
15 REPLIES 15

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had oscillation in a worn out Second Generation E-Series that my company had. I'll tell you explanation as I remember hearing it. The wheels spin as a gyroscope. Hit a bump and the force tries to push the wheels up. But as a gyro, the wheels try to go to the side. If anything is worn, they do. Now the wheels drop as the van rebounds. Gyro forces the wheels the other way. Slack in suspension parts...oscillation. I crossed a railroad track at 35 and had to come to nearly a full stop before it stopped.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Had an oscillation in front wheels after hitting rough spot in road,slowed down and oscillation stopped. Reminded me of a shopping cart caster wobble. Had suspension etc checked by an RV service, nothing found, suspension was like new. Was told that my symptoms are fairly common with Ford E-450 front end.(?)

DUNEBUGGYDOUG
Explorer
Explorer
Just try slowing down a little bit .70 mph is a little fast IMHO.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have a good front-end shop check the control arm bushings and the ball joints.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see in your signature that yours is a 01 but there was a service bulletin for 2003 and newer but it may apply to earlier models too, might be worth looking into. the links in this thread may be helpful.

Steering problems
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

fisher60
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
You added that you believe the vibration is in the steering wheel. That would not be consistent with drive line vibration.
Is the vibration side to side or is more like a bounce? Is it a rumbling sound?
How many miles are on the rig?
What chassis? Ford?
Has anyone checked the ball joints and control arm bushings.
Vibrations can be funny. You make think it is in one place and actually be some where else.

It's a Chevy chassis with 83k miles on it. I have not had any front end work done on it except for an alignment and brake job. The vibration is definetly a bounce. I know chasing these issues can be frustrating.
'01 Dutchman Express 28A, Borg Chrome Dually Valve Stems, Pacific Dualies Wheel Simulators, '06 Tuscon, 2014 FLHTCUTG
Good Sam Life Member

fisher60
Explorer
Explorer
dakdave wrote:
I would drive Motorhome a few miles on highway come back and immediately crawl under and lay a hand on each U-joint and hanger bearing looking for one or more that are warmer than others.
It sounds to me like you have one that is tight.

Dave

I will do that
Good Sam Life Member

fisher60
Explorer
Explorer
othertonka wrote:
Were the front tires spin balanced on the vehicle? that way you balance the whole system, brake drums/rotors, wheels and tires. Check for out of round tires/wheels.

No
Good Sam Life Member

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You added that you believe the vibration is in the steering wheel. That would not be consistent with drive line vibration.
Is the vibration side to side or is more like a bounce? Is it a rumbling sound?
How many miles are on the rig?
What chassis? Ford?
Has anyone checked the ball joints and control arm bushings.
Vibrations can be funny. You make think it is in one place and actually be some where else.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dakdave
Explorer
Explorer
I would drive Motorhome a few miles on highway come back and immediately crawl under and lay a hand on each U-joint and hanger bearing looking for one or more that are warmer than others.
It sounds to me like you have one that is tight.

Dave

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Were the front tires spin balanced on the vehicle? that way you balance the whole system, brake drums/rotors, wheels and tires. Check for out of round tires/wheels.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

fisher60
Explorer
Explorer
othertonka wrote:
while you are under the rig check for bad U Joints also. yes rear tires can also be out of balance and cause vibration. If fronts are out you usually feel it in the steering wheel. If rears are out, you usually feel it in the seat of your pants.

This is definetly in the steering wheel
Good Sam Life Member

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
while you are under the rig check for bad U Joints also. yes rear tires can also be out of balance and cause vibration. If fronts are out you usually feel it in the steering wheel. If rears are out, you usually feel it in the seat of your pants.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

fisher60
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
It could be the center drive line support bearing.

Hmmmm that's a thought. Going to drain & refill the differential here in a day or two and I'll take a look then. Thanks
Good Sam Life Member