cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Warning light on dash

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
New to this motorhome, 1999 class A diesel pusher 350 cummins. A couple times on hard acelleration there is a yellow warning light comes on dash. What is that for?
17 REPLIES 17

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could be experiencing something like turbo lag!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
I have that water fuel light as well ............. thats not it

just says ..... Warning ..........
in yellow on dash only comes on after I have had my foot into it, and then goes out once I let out of it for a few seconds

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone here seams to think its air flow. I had a 1998 diesel that would flash an amber light (water in fuel) for just a second or two when ever I got hard into the throttle. Never did figure out why because my fuel and filers were clean. I blamed it on the low sulfur fuel I had to use but never really knew why.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many diesels have a system built in that when engine tries to suck air the small device operates to indicate basically the lack of air flow through the filter. I linked a photo of one earlier.
Do you have a turbo?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
^^^. Like what kind of air intake problem. What makes you say that?
Thanks. What should I look for?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Still sounds like a problem with air intake!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
Has all new filters ..... It only happens when I acellerate quickly for several seconds. Once I let out and cruise along for a few more seconds at a reasonable speed the light then goes right out.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like an air problem to me, or something with the vac system.... Need more info if possible.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
Check your fuel filters. They may need changing.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing?

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1987 Winnebago Chieftain with a 454 Chev that had an "efficiency" gauge the showed amber when my foot go a little heavy. Not sure this is the same!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

J_Walker
Explorer
Explorer
The surest way to know is to read the engine code. A shop can do that for $$$ or you can buy VMSpc.
Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
It's a caution light indicating you have a lead foot. :B
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It could be indicator for the air filter. Some rigs have a sensor that shows when the air cleaner needs to be cleaned or replaced.
Look at in the engine compartment for a small cylinder shaped unit. It should show green/yellow or red. As the air filter gets dirt air suction will pull the diagram from green toward yellow and then red. It may have an electrical switch connected to it.
May look something like this
Air filter indicator

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow