cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washing/Waxing

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a stickler when it comes to washing my rig. I clean the roof 2-3 times a year too. But I've had this now for 4 years (under cover during winter and some summer months when not used) and it's now time to wax and I'm nervous. With so many products out there, how do I know which to use? Some claim to be a wash/wax combine others you apply with a buffer. Should I even use a buffer? A friend has a boat and loves using the buffer-saves time and ease on the arms.

Any tips would be great. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Fiberglass? No brainer, either McGuires rv/marine in the blue bottles, or Collinite Fleetwood or boat wax.
I just used this yesterday on a 19 ft boat. The inside was heavily oxidized and the out side hull had a yellow buildup along the water line. It was a fair amount of work with an orbital buffer but came out nice. To answer the OP's question it depends on how heavily oxidized the FG is. You don't say what year your MH is but if it is new any polish or wax will work by hand. But if it is old and heavily oxidized you need a orbital buffer, polishing compound and then apply a coat of wax to bring back the shine or as others have said you can you the Zep's wet look floor polish and that will last for a few years. I used the Zep's on my RV and the orbital buffer on the boat both were time consuming. Both require effort but produce excellent results. My conclusion is that if you are young and have good shoulders I would go with the buffer if you are older and have back or shoulder problems I would use the Zeps.

derosacamp
Explorer
Explorer
I use Nu Finish, comes in an orange bottle and is marketed as a car polish. No buffer needed, use it on my cars, boats when I had them and the RV.
Peter and Cindy
2006 Gulf Stream Ultra

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Use the forum search feature looking for Zep Wet Look - it's an acrylic floor finish product which many have used in lieu of car wax. Made the switch a few years ago and never looked back. Easy to use - last longer and restores finish on old RV's. Acrylic finish was made popular in boating industry. Worth a look.
Kevin

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I have always waxed once a year. I have tried many brands of wax and finally settled on Mcguire's California Gold. Two coats. It's a little harder to work with than most but well worth the effort. The process of waxing is also good for those wanting a bigger trailer. Time you are done a bigger trailer is the last thing you are thinking about. Enlist your kids if you have any. Invite the neighbors. Make a day of it.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fiberglass? No brainer, either McGuires rv/marine in the blue bottles, or Collinite Fleetwood or boat wax. Both require effort but produce excellent results. Especially with an orbital buffer.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
All the RV detailers use buffers.