cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water heater bypass problem-2016 Winn Suncruiser 38Q

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
When i turn the bypass it does not bypass and anti-freeze goes into hot water heater. Anyone had this problem or have ideas?
18 REPLIES 18

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Fixed it well and quickly. Turned out to be the check valve not the bypass. Difficult to get at but took it apart and removed insulation and replaced valve and returned the insulation.2.5 hrs of labor Had the vehicle winterized. They forgot to close and lock the access door but I walked around and found it . No harm but I advised a walk around takes little time and would instill confidence.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
Why would the check valve matter with the bypass. Isn’t it more likely that the bypass is not closing thereby allowing antifreeze to flow into the water heater.

with the bypass open and entry into heater closed the solution will go thru the bypass and can enter the wh from the exit pipe.
bumpy

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Why would the check valve matter with the bypass. Isn’t it more likely that the bypass is not closing thereby allowing antifreeze to flow into the water heater.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
Hold on all you Camping World haters. It is now in the hands of my local Camping World and they are replacing the valve.. Biggest issue is getting to it.

let us know how it went when all is done.
bumpy

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Hold on all you Camping World haters. It is now in the hands of my local Camping World and they are replacing the valve.. Biggest issue is getting to it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are 3 types of bypass 1,2 and 3 valve

If you have a SINGLE VALVE system, then there is a check valve on the hot water outlet... It may have failed.

In all 3 cases one or more valves may have failed.

To test you need to disconnect the lines from the water heater and see where fluid flows. ON the one valve system you will need a 1/2 inch iron pipe plug for the hot water line..

Test procedure
1: Valve

Disconnect and plug hot line (The line, not the heater) With valve in BYPASS put a container (or extend with an adapter and hose) the cold.. APply pressure if water flows on the COLD side.. bad valve. Plug the line and be happy.

IF no water flows on the cold line, Check valve failure is indicated, Leave hot line plugged, cap outlet, and be happy.

Multi valve system (2 or 3)

Extend both hot and cold lines to a container (No need to make a mess) and with valves in BYPASS see which line is flowing, that valve is bad.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
deleted...wrong thread :S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Winnie Vista. It only has one valve and a check valve. Your check valve may be bad. Since you said it worked before, I'd suspect that.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
It appears to be stuck, probably debris. It is not closing to bypass. So i ran several gallons of anti-freeze into the water heater when it appeared the bypass was engaged but was not. The valve will be replaced. Does anyone have an idea that might free it. Compressed air, flushing, potholes?

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it is the switch in the bay that says waterheater bypass. Perhaps it is not functioning. It is plastic so will star there.

Goldencrazy wrote:
I have a valve to turn water heater to bypass or normal operation. A second balve that I turn to winterization that allows the antifreeze to flow from the bottle. They are both in a back compartmnet and clearly marked. Are there other valves I should turn. I have done this before and never had a problem. It is only two years old. Winterized twice as I got in the fall two years ago. So this would be number three. The settings for city or tank shouldn’t matter and all other settings are drains. They have made it seem pretty simple with all marked clearly or at least I thought.

Sounds like you have the 1-valve system, and the only cause I can think of is a stuck check valve at the output of the water heater. You could try tapping on it or just replace it.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Does yours have the 1 valve system, the 2 valve system, or the 3 valve system. If you have more than one valve, it's possible you don't have them all in the right position.

exactly what I posted also check the valve positions and make sure there correct just went through this on sons trailer 2 weeks ago
drained HWT went to blow out lines and air was coming out of HWT
looked and valves were turned wrong way

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a valve to turn water heater to bypass or normal operation. A second balve that I turn to winterization that allows the antifreeze to flow from the bottle. They are both in a back compartmnet and clearly marked. Are there other valves I should turn. I have done this before and never had a problem. It is only two years old. Winterized twice as I got in the fall two years ago. So this would be number three. The settings for city or tank shouldn’t matter and all other settings are drains. They have made it seem pretty simple with all marked clearly or at least I thought.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
find the "missing" valve. I didn't know where mine was until I leaned in with my camera and took a "blind" shot.
bumpy