cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Heater Element

grannyapple3
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Atwood 10 gallon elec/gas water heater. We are on like our 4th element in probably 2 years. We make sure tank is full before turning the electric switch on but we are going through these things like crazy. Any ideas why we are constantly burning the elements up???

Thank you
28 REPLIES 28

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
grannyapple3 wrote:
We have an Atwood 10 gallon elec/gas water heater. We are on like our 4th element in probably 2 years. We make sure tank is full before turning the electric switch on but we are going through these things like crazy. Any ideas why we are constantly burning the elements up???

Thank you

Are you normally in one place for long periods of time and if so, what's the voltage? Also what is the voltage rating on the replacement units and I would like seeing at least 130vac for having some longevity.
These things usually last next to forever, unless without water or in an air pocket, so would always run a little water through the tank, if sitting without use for long periods and before turning it on.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

cdl2
Explorer
Explorer
number7....if the element is on all the time wouldn't the relief valve open?

OP....I'd check the watts of the original element compared to what you're putting in now.

numberseven
Explorer
Explorer
There are only two things that will burn up an element and show a hole.
First: is not enough water but sounds like you have looked at that.

Second: The system has a "T" stat that controls the temp and this switches a 12 volt relay on and off to control the 120 volts to the element. If the thermostat is stuck closed or if the relay is stuck closed, you will have power on the element all the time and destroy it.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the tank is NOT flushed of all debris and sediment when the heating element is changed, it will cause the heating element to fail sooner.

grannyapple3
Explorer
Explorer
jtfcons wrote:
Just a thought, but there may be an air lock preventing an empty tank from filling fully, so I would turn on a hot water faucet and make sure a full flow of water is achieved before declaring that the tank is full.

Also, when not in use, I keep a piece of tape over the 120VAC switch in an off position. This ensures that I don't accidently leave it on and hook up 120V power even for a second.

We do run the farthest away faucet until a steady flow/no more air and we do also tape our switch as it is in a very bad place where it can be accidentally bumped

grannyapple3
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
By any chance do you keep water in the heater when parked for period of time that could accumulate lime buildup on the element?

Also do you ever run the tank empty where the element would be allowed to heat without water around it?

Water heater is emptied out when stored

grannyapple3
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
When you install it, are you making sure the loop winds up vertical, and not horizontal?

No. It only screws in one way?? I am like Doug I guess and maybe not understanding what you mean???

grannyapple3
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
How are you determining elements are BAD?

Mine Atwood 10 gallon elec/gas is 10 yrs old and same OEM element.

Only reason for them to burn out is energized w/o enough water to completely submerge them

Our first notice is we don't have hot water and in trouble shooting and pulling the element out is is always burnt in two or a hole burnt in it. We have also checked it with an ohm meter

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought, but there may be an air lock preventing an empty tank from filling fully, so I would turn on a hot water faucet and make sure a full flow of water is achieved before declaring that the tank is full.

Also, when not in use, I keep a piece of tape over the 120VAC switch in an off position. This ensures that I don't accidently leave it on and hook up 120V power even for a second.
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
By any chance do you keep water in the heater when parked for period of time that could accumulate lime buildup on the element?

Also do you ever run the tank empty where the element would be allowed to heat without water around it?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
When you install it, are you making sure the loop winds up vertical, and not horizontal?

OK Chris, I will play. HOW and WHY would that be a factor? How would you make sure it is either? Unless it is a OLD 4 bolt in system, it would be difficult to thread it in and make sure of the orientation. I would suspect they are NOT using Atwood parts. Doug

Doug, that's how I have been taught by the factory training. If you look at the element, you will see it is indexed by the writing- easy to align it correctly.

If the loop is korizontal, trash short the element.
-- Chris Bryant

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Chris Bryant wrote:

OK Chris, I will play. HOW and WHY would that be a factor? How would you make sure it is either? Unless it is a OLD 4 bolt in system, it would be difficult to thread it in and make sure of the orientation. I would suspect they are NOT using Atwood parts. Doug

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
How are you determining elements are BAD?

Mine Atwood 10 gallon elec/gas is 10 yrs old and same OEM element.

Only reason for them to burn out is energized w/o enough water to completely submerge them
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31