cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater will not ignite

jimandcarol
Explorer
Explorer
Our 6 gallon atwood water heater failed to ignite the gas. It is an electronic ignition. After the red failure light came on, I tried 3 more times. Now nothing happens at all, no light, nothing. any advice would be appreciated....
8 REPLIES 8

jimandcarol
Explorer
Explorer
Like all fine delicate electronics, my DAD used to say back in the 40's "sometimes a good kick or hit with the fist will make it work". Well I took his advice and guess what? It is working fine now!!!

Thanks for the help.

jimandcarol
Explorer
Explorer
OK, will try, but I do not understand the total shut down, as of now, when the switch is turned on inside, nothing happens, it does not even try to ignite, and the red failure lamp does not come on.

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I occasionally have the non ignite issue. Fix has been to unplug and replug leads accessible through the inspection door. Non ignite needs to be addressed because repeated misfires can build up sufficient gas to cause a minor explosion when it finally catches. My campground neighbor thought my rv was coming apart, and hustled to let me know what was occuring

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Good chance it has dirt or cobwebs in the ventura. quite simple to fix, just remove the burner tube fron HWH clean with small brush reinstall. clean all terminals, reset the unit(directions are found on the inside of access door.turn on.
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the same problem with mine. I took the outside cover off so I could see if anything was happening when the switch was turned on. Heard a little gas flow for a few seconds, then nothing. Turned it off for a few minutes, then turned the switch on and manually lit it with a match. It came on and I let it run a couple of minutes. I turned it off, let it sit for a few minutes and then turned the switch back on. It started right up on it's own and has worked fine ever since. I suspect there was some dirt, grit, build up from washing the RV or whatever that had plugged things up slightly. Lighting it manually caused it to clean things out.

ParkerCO
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for Kansanforlife and also check the circuit board. Ours had a bad solder joint on the brown wire which feeds the gas valve. Re-soldered and all is well.

kansanforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Mine done the same thing, low battery. Didn't seem that low but I charged it and wh started right up.

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
I would check the thermal fuse!