cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Leak Bunk bed Over Driver Seat

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
I have Class C Coachman Freelander 32 BH 2011 model.Recently we have lot of rain in Maryland and I noted water under the mattress pad of the bunk bed over driver's seat.I was very surprised as no evidence of water leak from the roof or vent or side windows.No evidence of any water inside the coach over the floor or back of the coach.My RV has only 16000 miles on it and it is in very good condition.One thing to mention and I have posted the pictures last year in this forum about a small area of split on the right side of front overhead cabin which i secured with eternabond.Any suggestions how to find out where the water is coming.
14 REPLIES 14

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I have read here that quite a few people have improvised their own pressure test device. A good vacuum cleaner with an air output line is adequate airflow and pressure. Some ingenuity is needed to make an interface to a window or cargo door. With a tool like that you can afford to test every fall and spring. I haven't done it yet. My leak seems to go away when I caulk the seam running across the roof at the front where the cabover shell joins the main metal roof.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
Just to report a follow up on the original post.I took the RV to RV Shop and they checked it out with some air pressure test and sealed the areas.Technician said that it should be fine.They charge me 186 dollars.Few months later after a heavy rain I again noted water leakage in the front over the driver cabin.Under side of the mattress was wet.I do not know what to do now.Any suggestions.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 94 Toyota MH in great condition with just a couple little spots of rot. I treated the rot with anti freeze as rot is actually a fungus, that needs to be killed.

I pulled some trim off to redo and it rained and rained here in Florida. I was concerned about mold so injected bleach into each and every opening where I had taken the trim off. I did that each day for 4 days.

Right thing to do, I don't know but I felt better about doing it. Jim

Timdumire67
Explorer
Explorer
I found that the inner layer of the composite is effected by the moisture. It was coming apart at the edges when I removed the trim to dry out and reseal.

Ponderosa
Explorer
Explorer
Timdumire67 wrote:
I own a 2014 Coachman Freelander 21QB that just recently developed a leak around front under bunk/cabover area. Has me puzzled, it is inconsistent. Does not leak when driving in rain, it leaks when parked. Noticed discoloration on headliner above sunvisors. Any help would be appreciated.
Same here - leaked when standing, but not moving. Mine leaked in the upper corner where the flashings come together. Water pooled there. Nothing obvious but a generous layer of DICOR solved the problem. There were no other problems and it all dried out quickly in the desert. The Freelander has a composite siding that resists delamination.
2015 Thor Windsport 32N

Timdumire67
Explorer
Explorer
I am just very disappointed in this 2014 coachman freelander 21QB. Leaking like this when it's only 2 yrs old. Started tearing into it today. Broken screw that hold trim end cap on. Looks like the just stuck screw head and end cap on with silicone. The edge trim was acting like a rain gutter catching water and shooting it inside. Using shop vac to try and dry it out.

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
All these class C's leak here. This is the fifth one I have owned and all leak in the same place. My current one (Winnie mini (not mini winnie)) has the least amount of damage and has an aluminium super structure which I am re-inforcing while repairing the damage and delamination.

Timdumire67
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2014 Coachman Freelander 21QB that just recently developed a leak around front under bunk/cabover area. Has me puzzled, it is inconsistent. Does not leak when driving in rain, it leaks when parked. Noticed discoloration on headliner above sunvisors. Any help would be appreciated.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We use a moisture meter to help route out where leaks MAY be coming from but eternabond/caulking should fix it. THEN, dry it out with heaters. We had to strip the wallpaper/run heater when we had a leak by back bed.
Donna

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my 'C' new, they removed the chrome covers around the clearance lights and caulked them, and reinstalled the covers. They told me the builders use power screwdrivers when installing them and it sometimes create hairline cracks during installation. No charge and no leaks.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
The C we had == same problem -- turned out to be water coming in @ window on the front of the overhead.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
I just spoke with my local RV dealer and got an appointment for Thursday.Will keep you update.Thanks

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Check the clearance lights, they tend to crack with the sun and let water in around the window frame, that is a common source of leaks.

navegator

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Find a dealer that can provide a "pressure test" for that coach...Those types of leaks can drive you crazy and do a lot of damage. My dealer let me watch and I was amazed at the various locations that showed up as trouble spots. At that time the charge was $100.00 and am sure it is more now but I sure would want to be able to observe their testing.
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab