cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water pump

camp104
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 40 psi reg when I hook up to city water. The pressure is always low to take a good shower.When I use the water pump in the RV It is a lot better. My question is if I am using the RV pump and hooked up to city water is the pump taking water from the city or from my RV tank? Thanks Tom
7 REPLIES 7

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
STBRetired wrote:
My water pump pressure switch is set at 55 PSI from the manufacturer so I bought a Watts adjustable regulator and a pressure gauge and set the pressure from the city water inlet to 55 same as the pump. Have never had much luck with the $10 regulators that look like a short piece of pipe.

That 55psi is 'shutoff' pressure set point.
Pump 'start' pressure will be ~40psi (typically 15psi lower then discharge psi)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a failing or too low regulator or is the city pressure just abysmal?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
My water pump pressure switch is set at 55 PSI from the manufacturer so I bought a Watts adjustable regulator and a pressure gauge and set the pressure from the city water inlet to 55 same as the pump. Have never had much luck with the $10 regulators that look like a short piece of pipe.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit's answer is pretty complete, all I would add is if you have the room, add an accumulator tank on the pressure side of the pump and after the city water valve. It makes it seems like you have higher pressure because the pressure is constant, you don't sense the on off of the pump.

By the way we live just over the Verdugo's from you in Eagle Rock.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want to use a pressure regulator than get an adjustable one. Crank the pressure up to where it matches the output of the pump, your plumbing can obviously handle more than 40 psi. I've used a 40 psi regulator, actually more than 1 now in the trash. Put it on, seems okay and in very short time seems like the pressure has dropped in half.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pump sucks water from fresh water tank

When connected to city water and with pump turned on---pump will only RUN if city water pressure is lower then pump start set point.

If pump runs then city water flow is stopped because pump discharge pressure closes 'check valve' that is part of city water inlet assembly.
Check valve prevents backflow/cross contamination between RV water system and outside water supply system

When city water is being used a check valve internal of pump prevents backflow thru pump into rv fresh water tank.......overfilling it if pump check valve fails

Pump discharge and city water tie into same cold water pluming line/system......which then feeds cold water plumbing and inlet to water heater and then to hot water plumbing

Basic Generic RV Plumbing System
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Your RV fresh water tank, that's the source that feeds the pump intake.
Wildmanbaker