cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We are on our way

Barbara_Atlinbu
Explorer
Explorer
As I have posted before, we took delivery of our very first RV a few weeks ago. A 2105 Fleetwood. Today we began our first outing and I am excited as heck.

We left upstate NY at 6:00 AM this morning. We decided to head for Denver for a few weeks. I know, we are looking at cold weather, possible snow, but that is what our travels are going to be about.
Just doing what WE want to do.

We spent the last couple of weeks loading the rv with all sorts of things. Hubby fell asleep most of the nights while reading manuals to the rv. We checked out every single sytem and found nothing that needed repair. We even spent a few nights sleeping in it while in our driveway.

While we are gone the rv garage will be built so that when we return from this trip the rv will have a nice warm place to rest. All the concrete work, plumbing and electrical is run to the site. So we are anxious to see the results when we get back home.

On to the trip. I love being able to walk around the rv while Don drives the highway. He won't let me drive it yet. He said maybe the next trip or the trip home. He is having a blast. I'm in no hurry to spoil his fun.

It's taking me some time to get my sea (road) legs. If anyone knows NY roads they know how rough they are. It's taking some getting use to.

Well, enough for now. I am enjoying the view from this big windshield and I need to get Don a glass of ice tea. He's getting ready to pull into a rest area and check the car we are towing. Pit stop time for me as well, but not using the rest area bathrooms.

Just think, I have my own bed, sheets, blankets, pillows and bathroom. No worries about hotel bed bugs, stains or dirty bathrooms. This is the only way to travel, in my opinion.

Do I sound excited?
14 REPLIES 14

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Drop down and do I 70 to Denver. No tolls and the wind isn't as bad as those roads north of 70.

Barbara Atlinburg wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
Barbara, congrats to you and Don on the new motorhome!

You do know that you are not allowed to go on any trips without the group here approving your itinerary .... it's in the rules! Ha ha!! Enjoy!

Safe travels!
Mark

That can be a big problem. We plan to travel with no itinerary. We are headed to Denver but that doesn't mean we won't wind up somewhere else.

btilfan
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to wave on your way through Husker country.
2007 Damon Astoria Pacifica
My next hobby.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's one heck of a road trip for the first trip! Sounds like something I'd do. The good thing about going to Denver from the east is although it's over 5k feet in elevation, it's mostly flat land out there. I don't mind driving my RV in the snow, but I'm in California. So if you're in snow in California that means you're in the mountains on roads that can be steep and windy. Flat roads and snow is one thing, but snow on a 8% grade becomes a whole new ball game. So I try and avoid snow on this side of the Country.

On the itinerary deal, I had a co-worker that had a 5th wheel trailer. She had OCD bad and whenever they took the trailer out she had every single day planned down to the minute. She knew exactly where they were going and had reservations and even had meals planned out. The first time I took a long trip in the RV we had 10 days to travel. I live in the middle of California and I literally waited until we were approaching the freeway before deciding if we were heading north to Washington or south to Arizona. We went south. When I tell my friend this story she gets upset just thinking about how I could possibly travel like that without having a plan.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
More power to you and most of all.....ENJOY!!!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Barbara_Atlinbu
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:

You do know that you are not allowed to go on any trips without the group here approving your itinerary .... it's in the rules! Ha ha!! Enjoy!

Safe travels!
Mark

That can be a big problem. We plan to travel with no itinerary. We are headed to Denver but that doesn't mean we won't wind up somewhere else.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome and best wishes. Unfortunately, we're at the other end of the adventure spectrum. The costs are getting to high for us to continue on our pension/Soc Sec income. When we started the RV life, gas was $1.75 and SP's were $15 a night. Both have more than doubled, and although our V-10 gets 8 mpg compared to our old 460's 6 mpg, the math just doesn't work out.

We're both past 70 and nowhere near as agile as 10 years ago, so we've chosen to close this episode. We'll be putting the MH with a local, well-regarded consignment dealer in a couple of weeks. It needs a bit of TLC first (surprise!).
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Barbara.....Congrats, but you have some work to do. Take a few pictures of the coach at various campgrounds and then update your Avatar here with a photo, year, make, model, and any other fun info.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! I'm just envious that you are traveling! Have a great time and enjoy your new RV.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rskrbina
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Barbara,

Great to hear of your planed trip to Colorado. I've nodded off a few times reading manuals as well. Be careful and let us know about the trip.
Rudy, Jenny and Garrett
2014 Thor.. Four Winds 35SK Super C..F-550..6.7 Diesel
CRV, F-150 & Wrangler Sahara Toads..TST Tire monitor

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer

Safe travels!
Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are already having a blast!! Congrats and safe travels!

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and have fun. I don't miss those NY roads, stupid expansion joints, didump,didump,didump,didump. Can't wait to the wife I can travel like this, fifteen years to go. Happy camping.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Life in an RV is indeed fun. Just be careful about walking around while the coach is underway. My dw does same but only very quickly and on a straight smooth piece of road. Know someone who had to be airlifted from the side of the road and thought to have a broken back when the motor home hit a bump in the road. Turns out she was ok but one family was very scared for a dozen hours or so. I think of that every time my wife wants to move around for whatever reason.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
congrats! see you down the road. be careful out there.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi