cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I run with 30amp vs 50amp?

brandonrv
Explorer
Explorer
I am upgrading from a short MH that has a 30 amp plug to a bigger MH that is now 50amp.

My home is wired with a 30amp outlet. I know there is an adapter, but I"m curious as to how much it can push.

Problem is this new coach has a residential refrigerator. Not something I wanted, but it's what it has and I got a great deal on it. So i'm kind of thinking I wont even be able to push an AC and the refrigerator at the same time with 30amp.

I'm going to get it wired for 50 amp soon enough, just wondering if anyone has run on 30amp and can tell me more or less how far it will push it.

Thanks
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
16 REPLIES 16

brandonrv
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah i would never touch this stuff.. and no not a dryer outlet haha.

I'm going to get an electrician out here to upgrade, but wanted to play with the toys and i'm not sure when he'll be here that's why I was asking 🙂

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
As Dennis says ! Dryer outlets are 240 vac !

Dryer outlets, Electric Kitchen Range & Welding outlets are a NO NO (all are 240v)

That's right! Just like a 50-Amp outlet for an RV. Each leg has 120 volts and 240 volts between them. If you set up a 50-Amp outlet for your house, you would use the same circuit breaker as you use for 240-volt appliances. But if you don't know what you are doing, please have a professional do the installation!
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
As Dennis says ! Dryer outlets are 240 vac !

Dryer outlets, Electric Kitchen Range & Welding outlets are a NO NO (all are 240v)
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ummmm....I certainly HOPE you're not planning on plugging into your DRYER outlet...:E:E. If you do, you'll no longer be a happy camper......just sayin....Dennis

To answer your question, use the formula:

AMPS X VOLTAGE = WATTS

So, 50 Amps X 120 Volts = 6000 Watts. Since there are TWO legs @ 50 Amps, you'll have a total of 12000 Watts available with 50 Amp service.

Using the same formula, 30 Amps X 120 Volts = 3600 Watts. So, you can easily see the difference 50 Amp service provides.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
brandonrv wrote:
wow that's great news.

Yeah I don't actually have the new coach in my hands yet. Get it on Tuesday. In a whole new ball game with this sucker.

That's great about the residential fridge. Glad I have it now 🙂

Well. Look at the bright side. Ya got 4 days to get the 50 amp installed.

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
We regularly camp in 30amp sites and I too have a dedicated 30amp circuit at home. We only ever had a problem once when I had my old coach and that was because I turned every single light on and I had both AC's going. The breaker tripped when I fired the vacuum cleaner up!
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
it really a matter of 30 amps or 100 amps.
50 amp supplies are TWO 120v supplies at 50A per leg.

it really depends on the size of the coach too....how many a/c units do you have ? what other items do you need to use (simultaneously) ?

30A will likely mean you'll have to manage your consumption - you'll need to turn off the AC to use the microwave or you'll have to turn off the AC if when the water heater is on Electric.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

brandonrv
Explorer
Explorer
wow that's great news.

Yeah I don't actually have the new coach in my hands yet. Get it on Tuesday. In a whole new ball game with this sucker.

That's great about the residential fridge. Glad I have it now 🙂

mdprince
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

You can easily run a residential fridge and one roof air conditioner on 30 amps.

x2 - and watch a TV or two !!
2006 Revolution LE 40E
2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad/Brake Buddy or
20' Toy Trailer/Quads 'n Dirt Bikes

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep in mind that a 50 amp coach plugged into a 30 amp plug is a 30 amp coach. That's a combined total of 30 amps from all circuits (15 amps per leg or up to 30 off of one). 50 amp service provides up to 50 amps per leg or a total of 100 amps. So, if you think back to what you could run on your 30 amp coach you can run the same things on this 50 amp coach plugged into a 30 amp circuit.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
The residential fridge uses a fraction of the power an RV fridge uses. The start up current is very brief and not enough to worry about unless the breaker was already just on the edge. The residential fridge will pull around 1 amp when running, and it only runs about 1/3 of the time.

Happy camping.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
brandonrv wrote:
My home is wired with a 30amp outlet. I know there is an adapter, but I"m curious as to how much it can push.
One air, no electric HW, and the resi refer would be fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

You can easily run a residential fridge and one roof air conditioner on 30 amps.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can run it no problem. It takes no more the four amps an ac takes about 14 plus a bit on startup. You will have plenty of headroom. If you have an Aquahot yes it on diesel though as that is either 11 or 22 depending on one or two electric elements. You will live the residential and the gas fridge still took DC voltage that the convert would make or if on AC used power there too.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts