cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Did You Do in your Sprinter Based RV Today?

Just_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to get people who own them to post their experiences;

Yesterday I installed a MUCH louder horn "Bad Boy" from Harbor Freight, easy install. Also added more shelving in the Bathroom closet.
2004 Meridian towing 96 Tracker
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

In God We Trust ALL Others pay CASH
112 REPLIES 112

9er
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:
rvsolutions wrote:
We have around 4500 miles on our Winnebago Via. The service manager at the Mercedes dealer in Shreveport told us not to let the def get low enough to trigger the warning so I grabbed a 2 1/2 Gal jug at Wal Mart and topped it off yesterday, took all but a little bit at the bottom of the jug. Any thoughts on whether this a normal amount to burn through?
We picked up the coach at Lichstinn and drove it back to Southern Calif. This our 5th motor home and downsizing to the Sprinter chassis was the best move we have ever made. Great coach, looking forward to many miles!

...and just what is the reason he thinks you shouldn't let it get low enough to trigger the light? The only reason I can think of is you will have a limited amount of engine start cycles once the light comes on. Once you reload with DEF you are good to go.

DEF "range" depends how big your DEF tank is. Sprinters can have a big or small tank. I don't know about the Via but on a Cab chassis the big tank is filled from the side of the RV near the house door behind a bin door and the small one from under the hood. I have the "big" tank on mine and I had the light come on at about 9000 miles. The smaller tank which many newer ones have won't go so far. The smaller tank is actually better for RVs as they don't rack up miles so fast. The big tank is more in line with what a fleet vehicle should have. DEF can get old so I don't even fill mine all the way anyway.

yea what is the reason?never heard that before

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
rvsolutions wrote:
We have around 4500 miles on our Winnebago Via. The service manager at the Mercedes dealer in Shreveport told us not to let the def get low enough to trigger the warning so I grabbed a 2 1/2 Gal jug at Wal Mart and topped it off yesterday, took all but a little bit at the bottom of the jug. Any thoughts on whether this a normal amount to burn through?
We picked up the coach at Lichstinn and drove it back to Southern Calif. This our 5th motor home and downsizing to the Sprinter chassis was the best move we have ever made. Great coach, looking forward to many miles!

...and just what is the reason he thinks you shouldn't let it get low enough to trigger the light? The only reason I can think of is you will have a limited amount of engine start cycles once the light comes on. Once you reload with DEF you are good to go.

DEF "range" depends how big your DEF tank is. Sprinters can have a big or small tank. I don't know about the Via but on a Cab chassis the big tank is filled from the side of the RV near the house door behind a bin door and the small one from under the hood. I have the "big" tank on mine and I had the light come on at about 9000 miles. The smaller tank which many newer ones have won't go so far. The smaller tank is actually better for RVs as they don't rack up miles so fast. The big tank is more in line with what a fleet vehicle should have. DEF can get old so I don't even fill mine all the way anyway.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

rvsolutions
Explorer
Explorer
Don & Kathy Irvine

2013 Winnebago Via R,
2010 CRV Behind,
Lexie the Westie in charge!
FMCA 119467

9er
Explorer
Explorer
Made the big plunge and got the hwh levelers and they are awesome chuck up at stuarts in elkhart did a great job highly reccomend
them and him to do the job

DKeppner
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin RV 760 mounted up today. Full trip test beginning 08/03. Can't wait.
Its not the Destination or the Journey.
Its the Excursion

Just_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
AprilWhine wrote:
Hello from Whitehorse, Yukon Territory!

So far on this trip, we have averaged almost 14 mpg over 6,000 miles. I think that's pretty impressive!

14 mpg is great... Are you towing a TOAD?

We hope to go to Alaska in the next few years...

Friday we got our delivery from Francher's of our Windshield cover/shade and Bra.. They fit perfect....
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

DKeppner
Explorer
Explorer
jdog wrote:
Took it to the dump and left it there.

Grabbed 2 mister systems from ACE hardware (each kit is expandable). Consists of 3/8" hose with 5 misting heads each about 18" apart. Put the two together and simply clipped them to the awning edges with cloths pins. Y-Gate on the fresh water faucet prior to the pressure regulator for a finer mist while having the pressure regulator on the other side leading to the rig.

Supposed to feel 20 degrees cooler. I'll go with maybe 10 which is a HUGE difference regardless.

Here's the link: http://www.acehardwarephoenix.com/seasonal/misting_systems
Its the Excursion

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Hello from Whitehorse, Yukon Territory!

So far on this trip, we have averaged almost 14 mpg over 6,000 miles. I think that's pretty impressive!

Fuzzy's Garage inspection and repairs are holding steady. Only problems encountered in this trip are: 1. microwave mounting broke and microwave fell into the hole. Fuzzy fixed it by making a new mount using the button off my cheap toaster. 2. Along the same lines, the top shelf in the dish cabinet fell. Fuzzy modified the holding brackets and it has remained in place ever since.
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
DKeppner wrote:
3 digit temps this weekend so a new mister system is going on the awning.

Sounds neat. Got info on it?
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

DKeppner
Explorer
Explorer
3 digit temps this weekend so a new mister system is going on the awning.
Its the Excursion

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Just Lee wrote:
Dakzuki wrote:

I need to do that too. Mine is the same but smaller. Over on the Yahoo Skinnie Winnie group a few folks have done the same if you are looking for ideas as to how to do it.

Which one? I belong to all 3. I tried to search and didn't find anything.. I am Yosemite_Sam37 over there...

Thanks LeeB

Here's one of them LINK and there's another more exotic one where they put a zipper in it to get to a prop mechanism to hold it open.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Just_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:

I need to do that too. Mine is the same but smaller. Over on the Yahoo Skinnie Winnie group a few folks have done the same if you are looking for ideas as to how to do it.

Which one? I belong to all 3. I tried to search and didn't find anything.. I am Yosemite_Sam37 over there...

Thanks LeeB

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Just Lee wrote:
Dakzuki wrote:
Today I finally put the vent covers on that have been sitting around uninstalled for two years.

Good for you.... I need to buy mine still...

Yesterday we worked on making a screen for the BACK window so we can have it open at night. It is the Emergency exit and has no screen. We plan on using just enough Velcro to hold it and hopefully keep bugs out but still allow it to function as a exit in a Emergency.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Just_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:
Today I finally put the vent covers on that have been sitting around uninstalled for two years.

Good for you.... I need to buy mine still...

Yesterday we worked on making a screen for the BACK window so we can have it open at night. It is the Emergency exit and has n screen. We plan on using just enough Velcro to hold it and hopefully keep bugs out but still allow it to function as a exit in a Emergency.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad