cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think of thid Dealer bargaining

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
So I e-mailed interest in a coach and was told the average NADA value of mine was $80,000 and basically we could start bargaining from there. We then saw they had discounted a 2013 so we asked for numbers on it expecting difference from there average NADA price and the discounted sticker. In six days my coach lost $29,000 of value. Needless to say we walked. Below is the explanation. Thought it would interest some.

At $119,677 discounted price from $151,780 List Price I have zero mark up to give an
over allowance on your trade in. The NADA figures I sent to you are retail numbers on the Vista 30T. We go by the wholesale numbers once I discount all my profit out. Your trade in value is $51,000 leaving a trade difference of $68,677.
35 REPLIES 35

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I bet there would be a lot happier folks if they took a week or more to decide "after" they got the best offer.

Our good friends bought a new 2014 MH and within 3 weeks they were second guessing what they had done.
As you said the three year itch can be costly.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I think I can see the point Wholsale to Wholsale or retail to retail. The Deal cannot be high price for the one you buy and lowest price for the one you trade in, it would be a loose / loose deal for you.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
alandsusy wrote:
mike brez wrote:
smlranger wrote:
In a trade, the only number that matters is the difference you will have to pay. If the dealer allows a wholesale trade on a retail price, the buyer is going to get the shaft. What you want to accomplish, in most cases, is either a retail to retail or wholesale to wholesale trade.

X2 the only number that matters is what I have to pay in the end.

AMEN Don't complicate the issue.

What do you consider a wholesale price and when do you generally see it?

alandsusy
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
smlranger wrote:
In a trade, the only number that matters is the difference you will have to pay. If the dealer allows a wholesale trade on a retail price, the buyer is going to get the shaft. What you want to accomplish, in most cases, is either a retail to retail or wholesale to wholesale trade.

X2 the only number that matters is what I have to pay in the end.

AMEN Don't complicate the issue.
Al Marchioni
www.alandsusysroadtrips.com

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
RckyMtnVia wrote:
Goldencrazy: As suggested above, maybe you should try to sell yours locally or on the Yahoo Vista forum. Yahoo Vista Forum

If you get someone to buy it, then you will be in a better position to buy a new one without a trade. Good luck.

By the way, many years ago I worked for Ohmeda and had some pleasant visits to the HQ in Madison. Beautiful city.

I love it for 10 months but Jan and Feb and for those two months it is nice to be on the road. I like my 30T and will be keeping it. That is probably the thing. I was not going to make a deal unless it was a very good one and I thought that was possible when they dropped the price. They had never made me an offer on anything but had provided what the NADA values were so I thought that was a fixed number I could work with so when it went down with the price I felt jerked around. Then it came back up. It was never referred to as their trade in allowance. The funny thing is I know bargaining quite well and know all the things people have advised about bottom lines. I also know the value of stability and honesty in closing a deal. My wife was very interested in making a trade but the process was so bad she decided as did I that if we are going to trade we will buy from a dealer we trust and pick everything we want. We know we will pay more but we will get more value. Thanks for responding.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
For what it is wroth Goldencrazy, your impulse to walk away was correct...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy: As suggested above, maybe you should try to sell yours locally or on the Yahoo Vista forum. Yahoo Vista Forum

If you get someone to buy it, then you will be in a better position to buy a new one without a trade. Good luck.

By the way, many years ago I worked for Ohmeda and had some pleasant visits to the HQ in Madison. Beautiful city.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
RckyMtnVia wrote:
Goldencrazy: You missed the point of my post. The selling price and the value of the trade in are NOT important, it is the difference between the two. The smaller the difference, the better the deal. NADA value on your coach is: low retail $66,870 and average retail $80,570. The Wholesale Value, or the dealer trade in value is approximately 10% below low retail, or $60,000. You usually can find the Wholesale NADA guide in a good reference library for the exact figure. If you can get the dealer to a trade difference of about $48,000 would that be a good deal for you? If it is, tell him your deal, or go even lower on the trade difference, say $40,000, and if he accepts it, don't worry about how he gets there.

I understand and agree. I did exactly what you suggest and we got closer but by then we had inventoried the differences and determined we were not eager to trade. Had he gotten to bottom line quicker I would have paid more and be moving into new motor home in the rain. Glad he didn't as we were too eager for the change. Damn three year itch. Thanks for the interest.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
It has been my experience that all of the NADA RV prices are inflated.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
charles wrote:
Trading is always a PITA. Money talks, sell yours first. If it's in good shape and you price it right, it will sell fast and then start making offers on a new unit. You'll be surprised at the deals you can get. I bought a new 2011 Vista 35F late in the year for 81,500.00. I drove it to Florida for two winter stays, came back this past spring, put it on Craig's List for $79,000 and the first buyer offered me $75,000, sold in a week. Good luck to you in which ever way you choose to go.

Nick

It would be nice to see more real time figure like your's. This would gives us real numbers and get prepared to deal with the Dealer.

Thanks,
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy: You missed the point of my post. The selling price and the value of the trade in are NOT important, it is the difference between the two. The smaller the difference, the better the deal. NADA value on your coach is: low retail $66,870 and average retail $80,570. The Wholesale Value, or the dealer trade in value is approximately 10% below low retail, or $60,000. You usually can find the Wholesale NADA guide in a good reference library for the exact figure. If you can get the dealer to a trade difference of about $48,000 would that be a good deal for you? If it is, tell him your deal, or go even lower on the trade difference, say $40,000, and if he accepts it, don't worry about how he gets there.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

charles
Explorer
Explorer
Trading is always a PITA. Money talks, sell yours first. If it's in good shape and you price it right, it will sell fast and then start making offers on a new unit. You'll be surprised at the deals you can get. I bought a new 2011 Vista 35F late in the year for 81,500.00. I drove it to Florida for two winter stays, came back this past spring, put it on Craig's List for $79,000 and the first buyer offered me $75,000, sold in a week. Good luck to you in which ever way you choose to go.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
RckyMtnVia wrote:
Here are two situations, and which one is the best deal:
1. New rv at $150,000 your trade in $100,000.
2. New rv at $115,000 your trade in $70,000.

Number 2 is the best deal, because you pay $45,000. Number 1 you get more for your trade in but you pay $50,000. As said above the only number that matters is the difference between selling price and trade in. Don't get hung up on the trade in value of your rv.

Ok then take your number 1 and make the coach a year older as it has set on the lot a long time and reduce it to $120,000 and your trade value is reduced to$65,000. You see the price was reduced on paper but not in reality as their offer with the reduced price was actually higher than before I stopped at the dealership. I really thought the coach was reduced for a reason and I would pay less. Not so and I am sticking with mine. I am surprised at the responses as I thought the folks here drove some good bargains but my being offended by the dealer reducing the price but not reducing the price seemed to be OK. Not OK with me.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ski. Save travels. Hope to be through there next December.