cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you tow with your B?

RoadHogg
Explorer
Explorer
So, we just got our first B motorhome, a 1997 Great West Van Classic Supreme Special Edition on a Dodge B3500 chassis with a 360 cid V8 and 4 speed OD automatic transmission.

We started out in 2010 with a huge 36' 5'er...we loved that beast but it was showing age and it was a beast to haul around. In 2012, we graduated to a 32' Class A...still have it. We really like it too but again, usage is limited due to its size and thirst for hydrocarbons. We decided to try a Class B and is it ever fun traveling the countryside at 17 mpg and parking in almost any lot we choose, camping out in driveways etc. Of course the most obvious downside to a B is, it's very small.

I'm curious what others here tow with their B. We have pulled a toad with our class A, I'm curious how my B would make out with that. I'd love to have more cargo space for just carrying stuff along...I have a small trailer that should do that job just fine. I've even considered the possibility of selling the Class A and buying a travel trailer that I can tow with either my truck or the Class B.

So, there you have it, what do YOU tow with your B and how is that working out for you?
1999 Itasca Sunrise SE Class A
1997 Great West Van, Classic Supreme, Special Edition, Class B
33 REPLIES 33

RoadHogg
Explorer
Explorer
truepath wrote:
I was recently talking with a transmission mechanic who had just finished rebuilding a Dodge 4sp with OD transmission for a friend of mine. The transmission was trashed when the van was used to pull a sail boat several hundred miles. The mechanic told me that the OD on these transmissions are prone to failure when called upon to pull trailers. He recommended turning OD off when pulling anything other than a very small trailer and even then he recommended turning OD off on long inclines or traveling into strong headwinds. This is going to require slowing down, unless you want to spend a fortune on fuel.

Based on my knowledge and experience with these transmissions, I would not disagree with that advice. I would go as far as to advise anyone towing with any brand of automatic OD transmission to tow with OD OFF. OD OFF puts a transmission into "Direct" mode, thereby all but eliminating the transmission doing any heavy lifting.

In general, OD is a marketing scam that has only negative effects on vehicles and consumers.

truepath
Explorer
Explorer
I was recently talking with a transmission mechanic who had just finished rebuilding a Dodge 4sp with OD transmission for a friend of mine. The transmission was trashed when the van was used to pull a sail boat several hundred miles. The mechanic told me that the OD on these transmissions are prone to failure when called upon to pull trailers. He recommended turning OD off when pulling anything other than a very small trailer and even then he recommended turning OD off on long inclines or traveling into strong headwinds. This is going to require slowing down, unless you want to spend a fortune on fuel.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
RoadHogg wrote:

Do you know the stated towing rating of the Sprinter?

5000 lbs.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

RoadHogg
Explorer
Explorer
sprintstream wrote:
We have got a Sprinter Gulfstream and we've a towed an Intrepid 500 miles with no problem. Also towed a packed 12 ft U-Haul 500 miles into a 20 mph head wind. What fun that was.

Was that flat towing or on a dolly or trailer? Do you know the stated towing rating of the Sprinter?

sprintstream
Explorer
Explorer
We have got a Sprinter Gulfstream and we've a towed an Intrepid 500 miles with no problem. Also towed a packed 12 ft U-Haul 500 miles into a 20 mph head wind. What fun that was.
Was living the dream in the Ozarks
Now just living

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
We have an '08 PW Lexor and regularly tow a 12' enclosed V-nose aluminum single axle trailer (3,500 lb max weight) with electric brakes. We've towed it about 40,000 miles with our "B" through 43 states and 4 Canadian provinces.

We load a motorcycle inside and a canoe on top. It also provides some additional storage.

To our "B" we did add independently adjustable rear axle air bags and a brake controller. And, we do slow down a bit when towing.

My best estimate is that we take a roughly 2 MPG "hit" when towing.

Cheers.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
My 1997 Xplorer 230XL tows my 21' starcraft aluminum boat just fine. My mpg drops from 14.5 to 12.5. The boat & trailer weight just under 2000 lbs.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I've got my eyes on the R-Pod by Forest River. R-pod . Check out the tank capacities. Very impressive for a small trailer. They start around 2,160 lbs.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoadHogg wrote:
So, we just got our first B motorhome, a 1997 Great West Van Classic Supreme Special Edition on a Dodge B3500 chassis with a 360 cid V8 and 4 speed OD automatic transmission.

We started out in 2010 with a huge 36' 5'er...we loved that beast but it was showing age and it was a beast to haul around. In 2012, we graduated to a 32' Class A...still have it. We really like it too but again, usage is limited due to its size and thirst for hydrocarbons. We decided to try a Class B and is it ever fun traveling the countryside at 17 mpg and parking in almost any lot we choose, camping out in driveways etc. Of course the most obvious downside to a B is, it's very small.

I'm curious what others here tow with their B. We have pulled a toad with our class A, I'm curious how my B would make out with that. I'd love to have more cargo space for just carrying stuff along...I have a small trailer that should do that job just fine. I've even considered the possibility of selling the Class A and buying a travel trailer that I can tow with either my truck or the Class B.

So, there you have it, what do YOU tow with your B and how is that working out for you?
If you are looking for more sleeping room, check out Scamp Trailers. Used ones can be found at Fiberglass RV's for Sale. They are a little pricey, but you can get most of your money back when you sell. 🙂
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

RoadHogg
Explorer
Explorer
stan909 wrote:
This past August we pulled a Uhaul trailer 2,400 miles to North Carolina from Cali with our oldest boy and his new brides stuff. After the we are thinking of getting a small travel trailer to add sleeping space when kids come and selling our 33ft Bounder which sits a lot now.

Thanks for that comment. This is exactly one of the scenarios we were considering. We have a 32' Class A and might look at selling it and getting a TT for "camping" while using the Class B for "travelling". Of course the "going camping" part would involve the Class B so it would need to pull the TT.

We insist on a permanent, full queen bed in the TT so it won't be a small one...I'm curious how much I can practically tow. (of course I know the weight ratings already)

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
This past August we pulled a Uhaul trailer 2,400 miles to North Carolina from Cali with our oldest boy and his new brides stuff. After the we are thinking of getting a small travel trailer to add sleeping space when kids come and selling our 33ft Bounder which sits a lot now.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've towed a 2-dr Jeep Wrangler with my Roadtrek 210 into the Rockies and out to Moab. The RT 210 has a 5,000 tow rating and the Wranger is just under that, but even in the Rockies it's almost like there's nothing there.

I've also towed a motorcycle on a small trailer.

And on one trip I mounted a bicycle hitch on the back and transported two bicycles halfway across the country and back (which weren't used on the trip). I'm now looking a a Fat Tire Electric bicycle that I can take on trips where I don't want to haul the motorcycle or tow the Jeep. Figure with it when I get tired of pedaling I can use the electric motor to get me there. This bike should be able to be used on the beach or on off-road trails, or so I've been told.

reppans
Explorer
Explorer

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
when we had our Pleasure-Way Excel, we towed a small polypropolyne trailer made by Pulmor, would easily haul 500 lbs or more. They are a great little trailer and tow easily, no special hookups needed. The firm is Colorado based, lots of dealers around the country; cost is about $2,500; but they can be found on Craigslist for less.