cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's running?

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I'm parked at an RV park in Las Vegas. Next to me is an older Marathon Motorhome. It's warm outside, so AC's are running, not heaters LOL. I've been stting outside I keep smelling diesel fumes........the generator is NOT running. However something in the nose of the motorhome is cycling on and off about every 5 minutes or so. Whatever it is, is very quite running and is smooth running.......nothing like a combustion engine. More like an AC unit, but quitter, and like I said, it's in the front and down low. Any idea what is running? I don't know if this is where the fumes are coming from either. If not, any idea where they might be from? Thanks
Brian
13 REPLIES 13

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
why would you run your aqua-hot on diesel if you're connected to shore power ?

the owner of the coach might appreciate the conversation - maybe he forgot to switch everything over to shore power when he pulled in.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
Still not sure where the fumes are coming from. The noise is from an AC unit behind the front bumper.

I'm thinking the fumes would be from the Webasto unit. Apparently, they are not using electric for hot water. If you hear a 'hum' from the tag axle area, it's the Webasto.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Still not sure where the fumes are coming from. The noise is from an AC unit behind the front bumper.

Jim1eddoc
Explorer
Explorer
since they are next door, why not stroll over and ask? If you mention you smelled gas, I don't think they would mind, and it might make them consider using a ducting unit to help out the neighbors.

cross_country
Explorer
Explorer
maybe an aux air pump keeping it level?

Mary and Tom '86 Crosscountry Sportscoach
2000 Foretravel U320 4210

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I was camped next to some folks like that, but he had an exhaust pipe on his. It was hooked up to his hydro hot and his wife complained about the fumes when it was running. It sure made it nicer for us next to him too. She was doing a wash and you could hear the machine cycling on and off.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
I'm parked at an RV park in Las Vegas. Next to me is an older Marathon Motorhome. It's warm outside, so AC's are running, not heaters LOL. I've been stting outside I keep smelling diesel fumes........the generator is NOT running. However something in the nose of the motorhome is cycling on and off about every 5 minutes or so. Whatever it is, is very quite running and is smooth running.......nothing like a combustion engine. More like an AC unit, but quitter, and like I said, it's in the front and down low. Any idea what is running? I don't know if this is where the fumes are coming from either. If not, any idea where they might be from? Thanks
Brian

Marathon puts an air condiitoner behind the bumper (they will flip down)..... I think they call it a 'cruise air'.

Some Prevost coaches use a combination of cruise air and roof air. Bus air is usually in a side compartment with a large vent and mainly used when rolling down the road. You cannot get bus air with four slides, you will only have roof air.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm betting it's the hydronic heating system just keeping the coolant temp topped off. Depending on the system it holds at ~190 F give or take with either a combo of electric and diesel or just diesel.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Water heating system
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
No, it's not a generator, the generator on this one is mounted about midway back. What's a fuel cell? I was wondering about the aqua hot, but why would it keep cycling on and off every few minutes, especially in this heat. Actually I don't even think there's anyone in it this evening. The motorhome is also plugged into shore power.

I think it's the Aqua hot system. Maybe they are washing clothes, dishes or taking a shower? The Aqua systems also heat water as well as provide heat for the interior.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
No, it's not a generator, the generator on this one is mounted about midway back. What's a fuel cell? I was wondering about the aqua hot, but why would it keep cycling on and off every few minutes, especially in this heat. Actually I don't even think there's anyone in it this evening. The motorhome is also plugged into shore power.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
It might be a fuel cell? Those can run on diesel fuel. Also diesel 3 cylinder engines are pretty quiet, sometimes less noise than the A/C units that they are running. ..

My first thought might be a aqua hot system, but those are normally on the side of the RV and only run a few minutes to warm the boiler to 160F, then shut off until the showers are down, and the water cools.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com