cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's the best bang for my 20k?

Safari360
Explorer
Explorer
I am overwhelmed and need some expert advice on the best RV I can get for 20K cash or less. There are too many options in the used market to wrap my little brain around. We (us two) are hitting the road full-time at the end of summer, and are super excited to start working on a rig, so I am trying to buy an one now. So many models and configurations. I am looking for a diesel pusher class A in the 30 to 35 foot range that is self-contained. I simply want to know what is the best built makes and models that could provide near trouble-free operation. I know it is a tall order for the money, but any support is appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
76 REPLIES 76

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
It's a decent down payment on a new coach with a warranty.

Oh no... why did you have to throw that in to the mix.... :S

He's obviously set on buying outright. No need to add the New vs Used argument.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
It's a decent down payment on a new coach with a warranty.
2013 ACE 29.2

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Safari360 wrote:
I found a 30' 1996 storm with low miles and inexpensive. I do not know if this is a good make and model. Any thoughts? I like the idea of being able to camp in National Parks due to the 30' length.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/rvs/4255460718.html

I wouldn't pay that much for a 30' with no slide on the Ford 460 F53 chassis. You have the budget for a better coach. Also, a coach over 30' won't hinder you much except for California parks I believe.

!999 is when Ford rolled out the heavier duty chassis. Possibly 1998 for the workhorse? It's pretty much 1999 and up that is more desirable, not 2000. Even some 1998s will work.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Buffettphan
Explorer
Explorer
Safari360 wrote:
I found a 30' 1996 storm with low miles and inexpensive. I do not know if this is a good make and model. Any thoughts? I like the idea of being able to camp in National Parks due to the 30' length.

Not a bad price for a older coach. If it's a Fleetwood product make sure you check under the hood. Look at the box tubing of the coach frame work that mounts the coach to the chassis. I had a 1995 SouthWind and both sides were broken and had to be rebuilt. Tires, brakes, calipers and wheel Berrings are biggies to look at with a older anything with low miles. All fixable if your budget permits.
Good luck
2004 Lance 1010
2005 GMC 2500HD
Bilstine Shocks
Hellwigs
Tork lifts
Stables Loads
Thule duel axle trailer
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited
2013 Softail Deluxe
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster 883C

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
For comparison, there was a '95 HR 30 footer near me which was listed for $9K, which would have been a much nicer unit. I think its too much money for what it is. Its priced as if the economy has not taken a nose dive.

As far as getting into state or national parks, I camp almost exclusively at state parks, and have only camped in one spot where a longer length would have been a problem.

However, if you are looking at gassers that are pre-2000, you do not want longer than about 30 feet, as the chassis were never designed to handle the weight. For instance, the old P30 series chassis started out designed for 15K lbs. It drove pretty well at those kind of weights, but once the manufacturers started building longer, taller coaches, the chassis design never really advanced. It just had minor tweaks to keep it legal. Even so, most gas coaches of that era were over weight from the factory.
IRV2

Haley
Explorer
Explorer
Safari,

I too like the idea of being able to camp in National Parks and such. I think I have seen a few threads on here where folks with larger rigs do not report much difficulty(?). If that is a big part of your decision maybe folks with experience (unlike me) could chip in. Or you could use the handy-dandy search feature.

jh
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John H.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Safari360 wrote:

Clicky
It is/was a entry level rv. Check the sidewalls real good for delam. Wonder why no exterior sidewall pictures?
A 1997 Storm at PPL Here just for comparison. Looks kinda the same just two a/c's
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Safari360
Explorer
Explorer

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
How about a Foretravel
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Daveinet wrote:
Here you go, talk him down a few thousand. That will give some budget to work with.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/4237803728.html
Assuming there is not uglies that don't show up in the photos, you can go with the best there is. At the price it will probably move pretty quick.

Been for sale awhile now.
Read more Here
2015 Wrangler JKU

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can stretch a bit I saw what appears to be and excellent older Beaver on the BAC site.

Beaver
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go, talk him down a few thousand. That will give some budget to work with.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/4237803728.html
Assuming there is not uglies that don't show up in the photos, you can go with the best there is. At the price it will probably move pretty quick.
IRV2

fltrker
Explorer
Explorer
There is a guy on here that has a Thor Pallazo that might sell it cheap.

Safari360
Explorer
Explorer
I do want to say thank you to all that have offered constructive and seasoned advice. This has been super helpful and I will use this forum in the future for other questions and information. I may have what I need for now. Take care.

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
20K pusher to maybe a gasser will do?...Troll Post! Must be a slow night!

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i