cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what size genny????

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
what would br the smallest size portable genny would i need to run 1 A/C and a TV and some lights when stopped for the night when traveling?
and any brands that are better tan others?
thanks
24 REPLIES 24

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

A non inverter gas genny runs at 3600 rpm. The diesel runs at 1800 rpm. That explains most of the difference.

I would recommend either a Yamaha 3000 sIEB or a 2000 watt unit combined with a hybrid inverter.

turbojimmy wrote:
I've noticed those diesel gennys, too. They're amazingly quiet - I don't know how they do it. Just a quiet hum even from outside.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:
prstlk wrote:
Here's another thing to think about. If you have a house gen. You can fire the ac then move to a small gen like the honda or yaMaha to run it. Most of the amps/ volts are needed to start it not to run it.
have fun

Excellent idea, never thought of that.

Until it cycles off then on again.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
prstlk wrote:
Here's another thing to think about. If you have a house gen. You can fire the ac then move to a small gen like the honda or yaMaha to run it. Most of the amps/ volts are needed to start it not to run it.
have fun

Excellent idea, never thought of that.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
have fun
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
When I boondock, I allways check the area to see if there is a loud gene. If I see one, it sure will not be my neighbour.
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
they are inverter gennies, like the Honda 2000, only (a lot) bigger) on minimal load, they are barely turning over, just a light purr...
And they are made for motorhomes, and quiet is a major design item.
Loaded with the 100 amp battery charger and a pair of roof a/c's, they can be heard pretty well.

My nascar buddy runs a kippur 3500. He runs it all night, he uses a cpac, and his converted bluebird schoolbus doesn't have an inverter or much of a battery bank... And the kippur is quiet, it is a Chinese Honda clone.

Those champs and other open frame "construction crew" gennies, they do not belong anywhere near any RVers, that is just not what they are made for.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
What size AC.???. I have YAMAHA 24oo and it's works great for me.
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
I run my big onan 8000 watt quiet diesel genny for 2 hour in the morning and 2 hours around dinner time, to keep my batteries up.

I've noticed those diesel gennys, too. They're amazingly quiet - I don't know how they do it. Just a quiet hum even from outside.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Really disturbing to hear a gene run all night but with the little honda or yamaha, it is OK.

Those construction type loud gene., the one your hear from a mile, should not be allowed near a campsite. Ok if you are building a house or if you need it for emergency, but other than that... please...

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
smkettner wrote:
Class A with no on board generator? How did that happen...

Anyway you are looking at 3000 to 4000 watts to operate in most conditions.

I recommend two Honda 2000, parallel kit and extended run fuel tank if you need air all night. Not sure how to keep $2300 from walking away at a truck stop.

If you want to go high tech you could mate a Victron inverter to combine power with a single Honda 2000.

I noticed at the NASCAR races most everyone with a Class A has a small Honda generator running. No need to run a big, permanently mounted generator all night if you're just going to use it for lights and keeping your batteries charged. Plus the Hondas are very quiet and you're not exhausting your neighbor (even with my Genturi, I get some exhaust smell). I guess NASCAR fans are mostly the honest type because only a couple of people had them chained down.

I don't know if anyone was trying to run their A/C with them. I saw a couple of people with pairs hooked up in parallel, but they were travel trailer people. At that point you might as well run your RV's generator.

When I go to nascar races (3 times a year...) I run my big onan 8000 watt quiet diesel genny for 2 hour in the morning and 2 hours around dinner time, to keep my batteries up.
The batteries get the job doner just fine the rest of the time.

Now the guy next to me who seems to think he needs to run his open frame champion all night long, him I could just shoot.

A good variable inverter type genny, as is standard in many motorhomes, should be all the genny anyone ever needs.
And nobody (who is married to my DW...) can justify running the genny all night, as we sleep with the windows open and the noise of the genny disturbs her...
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2500 Onan in my truck camper. It will run the AC but sometimes it will stop, especially if it is realy hot. Aparently, the warmer it is, the more power it takes to restart the air conditionning motor.

I doubt the Honda 2000 will run the AC. If all you want is power to run TV and recharge batteries, the 1000 Honda will do, it is cheap on fuel and very quiet. I had a Yamaha 1000 for use in a cottage to run TV and batteries, it was not running good in cold temp and it finally blew up. I heard that the Yamaha 2500 would run the AC but I would try it first in very hot temp.

guardrail53
Explorer
Explorer
I would not go smaller than a 3000 watt, and would get a bigger one if you are planning to run the a/c all night! I ran a 6000 btu window unit with a 2000 watt Honda, but you could not run a lot of other stuff at the same time! It would run for 8 to 12 hours on a tank of gas,(just a little over a gal.) depending how hard the a/c was working! So, in a class A running the roof air, you will need 3k to 5k watts, if you want some cushion! the Honda's and Yamaha's are very quiet, around 59 dsb. so you can barely hear them running! JMHO! Rail!
1996 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 32', 454 FI, 4 sp. auto.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
As folks have mentioned, the amount of max load at any given time that you may intend on doing will determine size. This one appears to be a sweet deal for a 3100 rated, wireless remote start & @ $1079, Free shipping.

:B
This one may be an option :h
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74