cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to buy with $25k?

MrSimon
Explorer
Explorer
My budget is $25k and I want a used E450 Class C with the V10.

It will be used to haul my family of 6 on fishing trips, camping trips, and to tow four wheelers up to the mountains.

Probably somewhere between 28 and 31'

Rear bunks or rear twins would be ideal, but a rear queen is fine. Definitely want an over the cab bed.

So, what would you buy in my shoes? Are there any must-haves that you'd look for? Maybe ducted AC/heat, basement storage, certain generator size etc?

Are there things that I should give up to be in my price range?
11 REPLIES 11

Bouvie_dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I saw great deals on well maintained RVs in Florida at every campground.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that whatever you look at has enough seat belts for six persons. Some Class C's do not, or some of the seats that do are what I consider dangerous to ride in. I have a rear facing dinette seat with a low back and seat belts. This could be a neck or back breaker in an accident, even a mild one, and the cheezy wooden seat structure could easily fail in an impact also.

So even if you can sleep the entire family, make sure you can legally seat all of them too.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
The price you will pay for the used rig is not the total price, plan on cost of insurance, DMV costs, storage lot if required, any necessary repairs and improvements, tires and replacement of house batteries, converter charger and fresh water pump. The 12 volt electrical system is critical to the operation of appliances, furnace, fresh water pump, and lighting. An RV generator is handy but approved use of generators around other campers may be limited to certain hours of the day.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Friend of mine bought a very nice but older class A for that price. Big slideout, diesel pusher. No over head bed but big couch and dinette to work with. It was about a 32-35 footer so would also look in that direction. I know there are a bunch on the local craigs list for close to what you have to spend.

A 28 ft C would be pretty claustrophobic for 6 when in motion and parked IMO. The only ones I can think of with bunk beds were jaycos from about 6 years ago and they will be more pricey than your budget and were in the 31-32 ft range.

I dont think builders build for families any more, most are set up for 2 with some thought to KIDS in the overhead bunk. Some super c's had nice sidewall bunks but those are very $$. Expand your CL search out to several areas and be prepared to travel to find a good one. the same friend went with other friends to LV to check out a "super clean" according to the seller A and it turned out to be anything but!

Lotsa luck, BTW most of the C's in your price range are early 2000's and older and many did not have slides then.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Consider using an equalizing hitch on the trailer. A friend talked me to using one, a big improvement.

Dusty

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Being all the great idea above, also look at rvtrader for private sellers who are downsizing and have been meticulous in their maintenance.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great advice here. Mine is just sharing my experience. Had 5 so far. Best of all , quality of construction wise, is 2003 Winnebago Mini 24V. Use it much like you describe (even to wheelers also) Be real careful checking for leaks under cab over mattress. Remove it and inspect on each one you look at. Suggest the big names: Winnebago, Tioga,

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a used motorhome, the most important thing to look for (besides whether the layout etc. would work for you) is its condition--more important than brand name, age to a large extent, etc. More specifically, look for freedom from water damage (or, at the very least, any water damage has been properly and thoroughly repaired); for appliances and systems that are demonstrated to work properly; for evidence of proper preventative maintenance; and, of course, for overall signs of good care and not being trashed.

Mileage in and of itself is not all that important for a motorhome, in my opinion. The E450 chassis is quite capable of going for several hundred thousand miles, and in nearly all motorhomes the house part will wear out long before the chassis.

Finding rear twin beds or bunks will be hard.. They do exist, but are quite rare relatively speaking.

For towing the four wheelers, pay close attention to the hitch ratings, particularly the tongue weight rating, and the rear axle payload capacity. Many class C's are limited in the tongue weight they can carry due to the long overhang behind the rear axle, if not by the hitch then by the available payload. Bear in mind that the tongue weight will cause weight shifting from the front to the back, so the actual extra payload on the rear axle will be something like half again more than the tongue weight. Once you add water and people and people's stuff the payload can disappear pretty quickly.

I'd also suggest budgeting some money for repairs and upgrades/upkeep. A set of six decent but not top-of-the-line tires will run you $1000 or so. Shocks, brakes, and myriad other things can and do wear out on older vehicles. It is unwise to stretch your purchase budget so much that you can't afford these other things if needed, and chances are fairly good that something will be needed.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Keep an eye on Craigslist. That's where I sold mine and where we bought our second one. Also be aware that the seller's idea of their RV's value and reality will often be way apart.

If you see something that catches your eye, check NADA values.
Not that NADA numbers are gospel, they're just going to be closer to reality that most sellers.

I thought my first RV was worth high-20's. NADA said high teens.
I priced it accordingly and it sold.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave post is very comprehensive.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
25k should provide you with a decent class c. Class C's are great because they have ample sleeping arrangements. We had a Jamboree that did just fine for us. It was a 27 footer and had the over cab sleeping area dinette bed and double bed in the back. We used that on many trips with our six kids. We used it on beach trips, travel trips, camping trips and skiing trips so I think you have a great idea. I think it is the perfect RV for families with children.

Check the hitch that your future rig has for weight rating.
Get one with the largest holding tanks possible. I think that is one of the more important items. On board generator is nice but a portable will be quieter so either way will work. With a portable if staying for a extended period of time it is nice and quiet as you can set it away from the rig. Of course with a portable you want quiet as possible.

Check the tire age on the rigs you are looking at. If more than 2 ot 3 years old plan on having to replace them pretty shortly. 5 or 6 years are about the end of the safe lifetime for rv tires. They dry out and blowout. Ask me how I know:)

JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!