cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to look for in a Class C?

ebaca33
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a cross country trip and are thinking of trading in our travel trailer for a Class C. We have already determined that we would like something with a super slide, space to sleep 5 kids as well as the bedroom in the back.

What are some features and things you like or wish you had?

Is there anything we should look for when looking at used motorhomes?

We have been looking for about a month and a half and know to look for water and body damage, among other things. But I wonder if there is more we should be looking for that we don't know about since we've never owned a Class C.
21 REPLIES 21

ebaca33
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
ebaca33 wrote:

Thanks for the ideas! We have a combo thermostat in our trailer and I hadn't thought about checking now that we're shopping again. I am not a big fan of windows over the cab. One of my kids will be sleeping up there and I just don't like the idea of those windows right next to their bed.

One advantage of the overcab windows (particularly the side ones that typically are sliders) is that you can get some nice ventilation in that area with them. Without them, even with a roof vent, it can get kind of stuffy above the cab with the curtain drawn.

I'm not entirely sure what worries you about windows near sleeping kids. You can't, or at least shouldn't, use the overcab bunk for sleeping or whatever while driving for obvious reasons.

Do make sure you check on the cargo carrying capacity (weight capacity, not just storage room). Some class C's leave very, very little carrying capacity. Some old ones even left the factory overloaded before adding any people or supplies or water, but I don't think any relatively modern ones are that bad.

Also check the wheelbase to overall length ratio. If the wheelbase is too short, handling can be problematic. A minimum of around 55% is suggested, if I remember correctly.

With a slide, pay attention to accessibility of things with the slide retracted. I wouldn't want a unit where I had to extend the slide to get into the bathroom or fridge. Ideally, of course, everything would be accessible. (By the same token, make sure the driver's seat can slide back sufficiently for you with the slide retracted!)

A clear line of sight to a back window is nice to have; get one of the stick-on fresnel lenses. A rear view camera works nicely, too.

Good info on the slide, we are looking for a slide so that is good to think about.

I hadn't really thought about the ventilation over the cab. I think we'll look for one with the side windows. It's likely my 13 year old would sleep up there, but I have a couple mischievous little guys. Now that I think about it, we do have a window in the top bunk in our trailer and that hasn't ever been an issue. Oh and my kids would absolutely not be up there while driving ๐Ÿ™‚

Is the fresnel lens that large magnifying glass looking square? My husband liked the one we were intending on buying at CW because it had a straight line of sight.

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
Since I'm actually buying Class 'C' number 2, this is what was important to me:

A. Floorplan. If you can't live in it, you're not going to like it.

B. CROWNED Roof. My first motorhome has/had a fiberglass roof. Which is great. But it was FLAT. Which was NOT GREAT. There are plenty of 5th wheels and VERY expensive travel trailers w/ a TPO or rubber roof. I'll take a crowned roof w/ gutters ANY day over a flat one w/ fiberglass. Crowned fiberglass would be perfect. I'm getting a crowned TPO.

C. CCC. Check the cargo capacity. The longer you go, the heavier you go. The more creature comforts you get in it, the heavier you go. Modern day yellow CCC stickers allow for fuel and propane, that's it. People, food, water, etc. all go against CCC. Make sure your rig can carry what you need.

D. Read 'C' one more time, and make sure you fully understand it.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
The things high on our list when shopping:

- No front cabover window (to avoid the leak issue) We do have side windows, which like DrewE said, are great for ventilation up there. Not sure of the age of your kiddos, but our DS is now 11 and has never been able to do more than pop his head out, they're just too small for him to fit through...if that's your worry.

- Fiberglass roof

- No signs of water damage (as it turns out there was some we missed at the rear window, which turned out to be the upper cyclops brake light...but we got it all dried out and sealed up now)

- Floorplan and space for what we wanted. Our TT was fairly small and didn't have a sofa, that was on our wish list for our C so we would be more comfortable sitting out rainstorms and such. Think about what you wish your TT had or didn't have. What part of your TT floorplan works for you, what would you do differently, that type of thing.

- And then of course the chassis, like Jaycocreek mentioned. You want to make sure the engine is in good shape. Be wary of older units with low mileage. That seems like a creampuff in the car world, but in the RV world that means it has been sitting somewhere for a while and the engine has not been exercised which might cause problems.

- Oh, and tires, be sure to check the age of the tires. If you're not familiar with the date codes on tires, Google how to read it and make sure the tires are recent or plan to buy a new set of 7 (including a new spare)

Happy shopping! We love our C and are very happy with our decision to trade our truck and TT for it.
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there anything we should look for when looking at used motorhomes?

When I look at Class C motorhomes,I look at them as a pickup and camper,two units.I first check out the chassis as I would buying a pickup truck.Once satisfied with the chassis I turn to the camper part and look for the normal things you would in a pickup camper or trailer.

I just bought another used Class C a week ago and haven't sold my 30ft travel trailer yet.The trailer was just to hard to get into the places I go in Idaho.

Good luck in your choice.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
ebaca33 wrote:

Thanks for the ideas! We have a combo thermostat in our trailer and I hadn't thought about checking now that we're shopping again. I am not a big fan of windows over the cab. One of my kids will be sleeping up there and I just don't like the idea of those windows right next to their bed.

One advantage of the overcab windows (particularly the side ones that typically are sliders) is that you can get some nice ventilation in that area with them. Without them, even with a roof vent, it can get kind of stuffy above the cab with the curtain drawn.

I'm not entirely sure what worries you about windows near sleeping kids. You can't, or at least shouldn't, use the overcab bunk for sleeping or whatever while driving for obvious reasons.

Do make sure you check on the cargo carrying capacity (weight capacity, not just storage room). Some class C's leave very, very little carrying capacity. Some old ones even left the factory overloaded before adding any people or supplies or water, but I don't think any relatively modern ones are that bad.

Also check the wheelbase to overall length ratio. If the wheelbase is too short, handling can be problematic. A minimum of around 55% is suggested, if I remember correctly.

With a slide, pay attention to accessibility of things with the slide retracted. I wouldn't want a unit where I had to extend the slide to get into the bathroom or fridge. Ideally, of course, everything would be accessible. (By the same token, make sure the driver's seat can slide back sufficiently for you with the slide retracted!)

A clear line of sight to a back window is nice to have; get one of the stick-on fresnel lenses. A rear view camera works nicely, too.

ebaca33
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:
Storage oh and more storage ! We've only had 2 MH so far and both were/is short 23ft and now 25ft. wish it had an electric awning instead of the manual , those legs stick out in the passenger mirror's view.
Have both A/C-Heater on a thermostat, I hate getting up in the middle of the night to turn the A/C off , only to get back up an hour later to turn it back on and so on. Have tried to leave it on low only to have it freeze up (ice up the fan? )
Also factory installed rear view camera , that way its already hard wired in , instead of you having to buy a wireless one and install it.
Preferably no windows at all in overcab bunk area (definitely will leak sooner or later)
Walk around rear bed ! most longer ones will have that anyways !
Alot here like the Ford chassis I've always been a GM person.
Little things like an outside shower, possible even an outside Stereo/TV combo !

I'm sure more will have alot better things to add , but for us when we go bigger the above listed will definitely be on my higher up gotta haves !

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Storage oh and more storage ! We've only had 2 MH so far and both were/is short 23ft and now 25ft. wish it had an electric awning instead of the manual , those legs stick out in the passenger mirror's view.
Have both A/C-Heater on a thermostat, I hate getting up in the middle of the night to turn the A/C off , only to get back up an hour later to turn it back on and so on. Have tried to leave it on low only to have it freeze up (ice up the fan? )
Also factory installed rear view camera , that way its already hard wired in , instead of you having to buy a wireless one and install it.
Preferably no windows at all in overcab bunk area (definitely will leak sooner or later)
Walk around rear bed ! most longer ones will have that anyways !
Alot here like the Ford chassis I've always been a GM person.
Little things like an outside shower, possible even an outside Stereo/TV combo !

I'm sure more will have alot better things to add , but for us when we go bigger the above listed will definitely be on my higher up gotta haves !