Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What would you do, RV getting old!

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
What would you do?

We own a 99 Four Winds 31S, in 2004 it developed a HUGE bubble of delam under the passenger side back window. I called and talked to Four Winds and we agreed since it was just barely out of warranty that they would replace the entire passenger sidewall if we paid half. ($5000.00 at the time) So in 2004 my husband and I drove it back from Seattle to Indiana to have them replace it. We flew home and then in 3 weeks the whole family flew back out and we drove it home.

Fast forward to now and the passenger side of RV is golden not a problem EVER, but the driverโ€™s side every year is a new problem. We have had the roof resealed by Camping World several times, we have resealed and re caulked all the windows, but inevitably something new happens each summer when we uncover it. (it is outside with an RV cover on it for the winter and the spring) And each and every year it seems we find a new โ€œbubbleโ€ on the driverโ€™s side. We keep fixing them and resealing and re caulking, and who knows maybe I am just seeing the same ones each year and I have forgotten about it, I should probably draw a map and take pictures so I can remember each year, but this year is just seems to be to getting me down more. (there has been no water intrusion into the RV just delam on the outside, we very thoroughly check every time we are in it and most of the time we have been able to get to the spot and re glue it back down)

And this year the rest of our punch list just seems to be longer than ever, and I am wondering at what point do we give up? It only has just over 14,000 miles on it and just 127 hours on the generator and we have owned it since it came off the lot. But it is the little things that are getting old and are starting to need to be replaced. Like the trim that goes around the dining table, it does not want to stay in the groove anymore, and the joints in a cupboard door are coming apart and need to be re glued. The backup camera doesn't work and we have to figure out why, the vent fan in the bathroom has stopped working. And the roof I think just needs to be totally re done with Liquid Roof/Liquid Rubber.

Some background on us, we LOVE our RV and when my kids were little used it all the time (they are now 18 and 14) Then my husband lost his job ad we started our own business that was seasonal and we didn't get to use it at all for a couple summers followed up by a my husband getting a job that was totally encompassing 24/7/365, even his days off were not really off. Vacations we managed to take were interrupted constantly by work. And for 6 years we maybe used it once a year and every time was so stressful trying to make sure he still was able to be โ€œconnectedโ€. BUT we had a ton of money and so we just hired out a mobile RV tech to fix any issues we had and dreamed of the day when we could use it again.

This past year my husband found a new job that is so much better in almost every way, he now has free time, his weekends belong to our family again and we are dreaming of having fun again in the RV before our kids are grown and gone. New problem is that he had to take a 50% cut in pay to take the job. So now we are cash poor, but time rich again. ๐Ÿ™‚ the RV is completely paid for, all we pay for each year is insurance and camping spots. BUT all these old things needing to be fixed/replaced is weighing us down.

So what would you do? Would you just work your way as money and time allowed and fix things that need to be fixed? (by the way we are not very good DIYโ€™ers at all, if you need technology fixed then we are golden, but otherwise, well we use youtube a lot to figure out how to fix things) OR would you cut your losses and sell it to someone who has the know how and the want to, to fix it up and we just donโ€™t RV anymore until we can save up enough money to buy another one brand new?

Thanks for your insight, Tracy in WA
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy
26 REPLIES 26

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you otherwise like it, it's not leaking and all the mechanicals are fine...

Keep it and do a little maintenance each year.

I guarantee a new one will cost more than maintaining this one.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Tracy. Like so many things in life, the decision you make is based on numerous factors. You might want to consider it in terms of a work/fun ratio. Are you spending more time working on the RV with no time for fun, or are you spending some time working on the RV with a lot of resulting fun? You WILL work on any RV. The fact is, RVing of virtually any type is an expensive hobby of which much is needed in work over the years (whether its you or an RV Tech.) to maintain the life style. Yet, many of us get so much out of the life style that we spend the time, work, and/or money to maintain it. So, would your work/fun ratio change much if you got a different RV? Bob

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Tracy,
I would keep it, ours is an 87 Southwind and it has its aches and pains. I keep on top of the maintenance and fix things as needed--e.g. right now I need to fix the furnace and replace the water heater. But, all the work and time we have invested, and will invest in the future, beats $185,000 for a new one.

Now if I were rich like some people on this forum who bandy about the words "buy a new one" I might go that route, but our MH would have to be in very bad shape for that to happen, and we also will not get suckered into a loan.

My advise, for what it is worth, is to keep it and ,YES, you can fix the problems and be money ahead over getting a new one, plus you can still use it now and not wait for the money to accumulate to get a new one. It is just like a car, the cheapest ride you will have is the one you already own.

Here is a link to vintage RVs, I find many helpful suggestions and encouragement when I get down about the problems with our MH, hope you find it useful too.

http://goodoldrvs.ning.com/forum
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

5Mainecampers
Explorer
Explorer
I would keep it and budget each year for maintenance/repairs--- it is most likely worth more to you than the market value; a newer one will require substantial initial investment.

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you that means more than you know.

Tracy in WA
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, in that case, as the proud owner of a 1975 motorhome, you CAN do it!

There are always days you think "why am I doing all this?" But then you spend an afternoon just hanging out in the RV and start thinking "this is perfection!" Most of it is just mood and perspective.

For me, if I start getting a bit down because there's something else to do, I just check out motorhomes for sale. A few moments of looking at a different motorhome puts mine in a different light. I start seeing all those things I love about it, all the things I've done to make it mine, etc.

I've got a nice little list of "must do's" going on right now. At times, I get it down to just one or two items, then it suddenly grows. I try to squeeze in things from my "wish list" as I can afford.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
What's wrong with just ignoring the delamination. Who cares? It's just cosmetic, isn't it? It's not like the RV is unusable.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
No appliance issues at all, and NO I do not want justification to buy a new one as right now we cannot afford to and I won't get a loan to do it.

What I really want is an honest opinion on whether or not you would do the work? I really want to keep this RV as we have made it our own, we had a cabinet maker come in and modify several cabinets for us and on top of that I know everything about it. Maybe I am just discouraged and tomorrow will be a better day. All Systems work great as like I said if anything went wrong we had someone out to fix it immediately.

I guess I really want someone to say "you can do it"

Sigh..... Tracy in WA
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most of the stuff is just normal wear and tear that you'll get with any used RV at a certain point. So, you're either going to end up doing that work at some point or you're always going to be replacing your RV after a few years.

With the delamination, it might be worth taking it in a good RV shop and having them check it out. It may be that you're seeing the same spot, it may be that you're not seeing the real problem. You don't necessarily have to have the shop do the repair work, but getting their help to problem solve can be well worth the money.

You don't mention any mechanical issues or appliance issues, so I'm assuming everything is going good on that front. Trim is cosmetic and you can find creative solutions for that type of stuff.

However, if you are looking for a "justification" to buy something else, then please disregard all the above and focus only on this: OF COURSE you should get something new!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
Get a new one.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Tracy,
I would consider a good quality used MH. We have had good luck with used (quality used) and the price is reasonable, do not get as big a hit on depreciation. When we went looking for our last unit we wanted something that was a bullet proof as possible. Things like fiber glass roof, no history of delam, etc. We purchase a B+ because we didn't want to deal with the issues of water and the cabover bed. Something with as few seams as possible. So far its all good.

No MH will be completely trouble free...but so far the issues have been minor.

If it were me I would part with the current MH and look for a good quality used one.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I would start looking for a different RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.