cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the best car to tow ??

Ozzie1
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will be buying our first MH in the very neat future and we have decided that we will need a car to get around in when the RV is parked, But I have read in this forum that there is some question about what you can tow and what you can't. We have looked at an MH with Blue OX equipment fitted, is this the best way to go ???? Thanks for any comments. O.
61 REPLIES 61

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
LindsayRichards wrote:
If you have an accident without a toad breaking system, you can bet the hired lawyer for the other side will make it your fault even if it is not. You might want to check with your own insurance company also. This might give them a chance to bail on you if you do have an accident.

Anyone that is that afraid of a frivolous lawsuit does not belong behind the wheel of any vehicle.
My insurance company was my fist contact. Nothing to worry about with or without the toad brake since I am not braking any CRIMINAL laws. They realize that in every accident, at least one of the drivers had a moving violation. Not using a toad brake is NOT a violation in any way shape or form.
The sky is not falling and a lawyer cannot rewrite the State laws.
I use a brake system but to live your life being paranoid about everything is just foolish.
Suppose you use a brake system and the lawyer for the other side argues that it was not hooked up properly. OMG, you are ruined because you can't prove otherwise. :B

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an accident without a toad breaking system, you can bet the hired lawyer for the other side will make it your fault even if it is not. You might want to check with your own insurance company also. This might give them a chance to bail on you if you do have an accident.

road_glide
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
We've towed my wrangler for years, great but small toad.

I recently put a blue ox baseplate on the wife's 2010 liberty and we have been towing that. Works very well, and plenty of room for the family.
Big plus, the bottom red taillight section on the lib is not used, cut the proper size hole and pop in a bulb socket, ran completely separate tow lighting, not tied into the liberty at all.

X2....only ours is a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 and Roadmaster Falcon 2 set up. Be advised...it took me pretty much all day to install the Liberty tow brackets as most was underneath and inside the front plastic bumper. The wrangler TJ is pretty much up front on the frame and a much easier install. That being said, we still prefer the Liberty for a toad as it is easier to get in and out of with 4 doors and back flip up window and swing out tailgate.
Both have transfer cases when put in neutral and transmission in park, just turn the key in first position and you are good to go.
Ours also had the bottom of the tailights available for socket for lights and I didn't have to mess with the factory wiring. I just snaked the wiring loom along the frame rail to the rear! 🙂
2003 Safari Sahara 350HP Cummins ISC Allison 6 speed
Model 3753 - Triple Slide
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
bshpilot wrote:
regardless of what you tow - you would be smart (and likely required by law) to have a supplemental breaking system (i.e. brake buddy, etc) on the towed vehicle.

above and beyond the supplemental braking system, many states ALSO require a break-away braking system. A break-away braking system will activate the brakes on the towed vehicle when it becomes detached from the primary mover (aka coach).

Towing Laws by State - CLICK HERE

I just spent several days investigating the legality of towing vehicles behind your motor home. I sent emails to various State Departments of Motor Vehicles, etc. The towing laws used by the various brake manufacturers are accurate if you are talking about a TRAILER. The States themselves DO NOT consider a vehicle in tow a TRAILER. It is considered a driveaway-towaway condition and therefor auxiliary braking IS NOT required. I started with the State of Florida and this is their reply:
A vehicle towed behind a motor home would be exempt from the braking requirements in Florida statute 316.261 as a drive away, tow away operation. Please contact me if you have any other questions.

Lt. Jeff Frost
Florida Highway Patrol
Public Affairs Officer
Commercial Vehicle Enforcement
2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 45
850-617-2279
Tallahassee, Florida 32399

Other States sent a similar reply with their statute and a few, like Connecticut were short and to the point:
I concur with FL and CT would treat it the same way.

Respectfully,

Donald Bridge, Jr., Lieutenant
CT Dept. of Motor Vehicles
Commercial Vehicle Safety Division
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
Phone: (860) 263-5446
Don't get me wrong, I think it is a good idea and I use auxiliary braking in my own toad, but it is entirely false that it is LEGALLY required. In fact, I could not find one single state where auxiliary brakes were required by law on a vehicle being towed behind a motor home. Forget all of the threats about lawsuits and liability if you get in to an accident. You may be at fault but it would not because you were doing something illegally by not having auxiliary brakes on your toad.
When was the last time you saw a tow truck driver put a BrakeBuddy in the vehicle behind his truck. :B That is an example that concerns a commercial vehicle but the point is that even the FMVSS(393.42) does not require auxiliary brakes in a driveaway-towaway situation.
What this means for me is that even tho I use a Blue Ox brake, if mine fails, I am still legal to continue my trip in any state. I do not have to leave my toad behind or have my DW follow behind in the toad.
If you do not believe me, I suggest that you do what I did and send an email to your local Department of Motor Vehicles and ask them specifically about towing a vehicle behind your motor home with a tow bar. Do not believe the TRAILER rules that are posted by the various brake manufacturers.
Now, understand that a tow dolly IS a TRAILER, as is a boat or anything else, but none of those rules apply to a vehicle in tow 4 down. The facts are that I think that an auxiliary brake is a good idea but each owner of each RV has to make the decision as to what they want to do with their own toad, now that they know what the law says.

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
The best car to tow isn't a car, but a midsized 4 wheel drive pickup with 4 doors. It will do everything a car will do and a lots more. The 4 wheel drive will improve you exploring ability and is great to have.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
regardless of what you tow - you would be smart (and likely required by law) to have a supplemental breaking system (i.e. brake buddy, etc) on the towed vehicle.

above and beyond the supplemental braking system, many states ALSO require a break-away braking system. A break-away braking system will activate the brakes on the towed vehicle when it becomes detached from the primary mover (aka coach).

Towing Laws by State - CLICK HERE
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2008 Mariner Hybrid. I just put it in neutral and unlock the steering wheel. You have to leave the key in to unlock the steering wheel. all the hybrids can be towed up to 70 mph per the manufacture. All Ford and Lincoln hybrids are towable in the same way. I have been towing mine since 2008. I haven't had a single issue. It makes a great everyday vehicle also.
Happy Campers Since 1980 and still kicking.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:

Indeed, Jeeps are very easy and simple when it comes to flat towing. However, they do not fit the bill for many folks, for various reasons.

Especially for those for which the 'toad' has to also serve as an everyday driving vehicle when not camping/RVing. Jeeps are awesome for going offroad, but that offroad prowess comes at a price in terms of road manners, comfort.

I know they've got much better in recent years, but overall, Jeeps can be a VERY uncomfortable ride on pavement, and due to their design they can also be extremely lacking in various 'creature comforts' many other vehicles have (yes, I have driven and rode in several of them). For that reason, many folks want nothing to do with them, for the vehicle they have to drive everyday.

Guess just goes back to the fact that there is no such thing as a 'best' car to tow, 'cause everyone's wants, needs, likes, dislikes, etc. are going to be very different. Whats best for one person will be horrible for another.

Will

While i don't disagree w/ some of what you say, far more folks own Wranglers that NEVER tow them behind a coach than do....and many of those owners use them as their daily driver.

I think you better go checkout the jeep JK (07-14) and more specifically go drive a 2012+ theyre A LOT different than you seem to recall.

prior to 2012 the 3.8L 6cyl engine was a little anemic at 202hp, BUT the '12+ 3.6L pentastar took care of that w/ its 285 hp....mpg isn't earth shattering at 17/21 but what 4x4 vehicle is & the jeeps aren't light (at 4200+ lbs)....luckily they tow considerably lighter (on all 4's) than they actually are.

4 door Wranglers (referred to as the UNLIMITED) can be VERY LUXURIOUS....FULL LEATHER heated & cooled seats, Highend Factory sound systems - by ALPINE w/ external amps, subwoofer, In-Dash Navigation, Satellite & Bluetooth.

and OMG they even have power door locks, power windows 😉 control & full hardtops (w/ removable roof panels if you don't wanna take the entire hard top off. 😉

Jeep Wranglers hold their value better than ANY OTHER vehicle made - and thats multiple years RUNNING (was #2 prior to 2012 when it became #1 in holding its value)....as such it is THE TOP Vehicle for RE-SALE....the 2014 unlimited are predicted to hold 70% of its value after 3 years & more than 55% after 5 yrs !
Don R.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
bshpilot wrote:
observations going down the road...i think you'll count more Jeep Wranglers being towed behind an RV than any other single make or model.

Indeed, Jeeps are very easy and simple when it comes to flat towing. However, they do not fit the bill for many folks, for various reasons.

Especially for those for which the 'toad' has to also serve as an everyday driving vehicle when not camping/RVing. Jeeps are awesome for going offroad, but that offroad prowess comes at a price in terms of road manners, comfort.

I know they've got much better in recent years, but overall, Jeeps can be a VERY uncomfortable ride on pavement, and due to their design they can also be extremely lacking in various 'creature comforts' many other vehicles have (yes, I have driven and rode in several of them).
Will

Will, you really need to test drive the new Jeep Cherokee (different from Grand Cherokee). It is a luxery car with very nice appointments along with lots of room for passengers and trunk space. It's quiet on the road and extremely comfortable. It will change you mind on Jeeps. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed four different toads. First was a Jeep. It was a good off road vehicle, but not the best for everyday driving to the grocery store or inviting a couple to go have dinner.

Next was a Ford Ranger. Great little truck to haul things around, but could only carry three passengers total.

Next was a 2005 Honda Pilot EXL FWD. It was the most comfortable vehicle I have driven in a long time. Could carry up to eight passengers, all leather seats, heated. Lots of power. About the only thing I could say against it, is that it was a little on the heavy side at 4200 lbs. Great vehicle!

Next we bought a new 2013 CRV-EX. Very good tow vehicle, has plenty of power, but it does ride a little on the stiff side in comparison to the Pilot. Great gas mileage, and great trade in value.

There are many nice tow vehicles now days. I really liked the Grand Cherokee Jeep, but they told me you could not tow it, and then again it was too heavy which is what I was trying to get away from with the Pilot.

If you like what you have and it tows four down, go for it.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
bshpilot wrote:
observations going down the road...i think you'll count more Jeep Wranglers being towed behind an RV than any other single make or model.

Im unaware of any other automotive brand manufacture that makes an optional wiring harness made specifically to enable folks to tow their brand/model behind an RV or other vehicle.

I know they've got much better in recent years, but overall, Jeeps can be a VERY uncomfortable ride on pavement, and due to their design they can also be extremely lacking in various 'creature comforts' many other vehicles have (yes, I have driven and rode in several of them). For that reason, many folks want nothing to do with them, for the vehicle they have to drive everyday.

Guess just goes back to the fact that there is no such thing as a 'best' car to tow, 'cause everyone's wants, needs, likes, dislikes, etc. are going to be very different. Whats best for one person will be horrible for another.

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Ozzie1
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to thank all those who responded to my question regarding "What is the best car to tow". Your input is invaluable. I am sure I will have some more questions for this forum before I am finished, Thanks again. O.

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep Wrangler! no steering lock. Put Transfer case in neutral. GO! Right down to the MOPAR wire harness... http://www.mopar.com/part/82211156AB

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer

Im unaware of any other automotive brand manufacture that makes an optional wiring harness made specifically to enable folks to tow their brand/model behind an RV or other vehicle.
Don R.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Passin Thru wrote:
The one you pick because you might not like my Prius and I'm keeping it so I will be mad if you tow it.

..I think this answer pretty much sums it all up, nothing else really has to be said.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")