cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When did DEF become required ?

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of upgrading to a DP. I want to avoid having to deal with DEF. What year models did it become a requirement ?
24 REPLIES 24

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Yes, but having a Prevost towed and the fuel tank drained, dropped, and cleaned, is not going to be cheap either....

Agreed, I hope I never have to find out. But after reading that thread, whether you put gas in a diesel or diesel in a gas unit, mistakes can happen. Since DEF is not required at every fill-up, I think that would make it easier to be extra careful (for me).

But, we don't have a choice when buying new, it's going to have DEF. And, I don't have a problem with the manufacturers making these units run clean as possible, SMOG is not a pretty thing.

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, but having a Prevost towed and the fuel tank drained, dropped, and cleaned, is not going to be cheap either....

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Just don't pour DEF in the fuel tank by accident like this guy did.

I just read all 10 pages of that thread (20 posts per page) and I will definitely be extra careful while putting DEF into the correct filler tube on our new coach. I know on the Prevost, they have moved the diesel and DEF fillers to the same opening so that both can be filled at the truck island. The DEF filler is just on the driver's side whereas the diesel filler is on both sides.

Mistakes can happen and it is apparently very expensive if you start the engine with DEF in the wrong tank. If not started (realizing a mistake was made), just removing the fuel, having the tank cleaned and refill with diesel will not damage the engine.

I have never noticed if the Diesel and DEF nozzles are different sizes to help against a brain burp. I know that the Diesel handles are green and the DEF's are blue.

MM.
Mr.Mark

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
I was not in the market for my DP in 2007 until I went to an FMCA rally and attended a forum by the diesel manufacturers - Cummins, Detroit and Cat. As they said, at that time, they could not tell the long term effects of the new pollution-reduction requirements. So I took the plunge and bought my DP in May of 2007, but it had a 2006 Cummins engine. 2007 was the particulate filter requirements and 2010 came stricter requirements that were met by using DEF.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just don't pour DEF in the fuel tank by accident like this guy did.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
I do not believe DEF was ever required. But, the engines had to meet the standards, and DEF is one of the ways it was done.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Other than the ULSD issue in Mexico, the newer motors have some advantages. Dealing with DEF isn't really a big deal. Every so often you pour some in. It's fairly cheap, both in cost to purchase and in cost per mile. Heck, you already do that with windshield washer fluid.

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
2006/2007 is the last model years for non-ULSD and non-DPF. The motors had to be made in 2006, but for some models (like my Fuso) they made all the 2007 model year motors in 2006. If you plan on going to Mexico or points further south, being able to take the non-ULSD becomes important.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Dave, we bought the first year coach with the particulate filter on the 2007 chassis (2008 coach). We have had zero problems with it. DEF came out in 2010 if I'm not mistaken and our new coach will have it. I'm not concerned. The word on the street is the DEF units get a little better fuel mileage.

We have no smoke come out on heavy hill climbs. The regeneration cycle happens once about every 10,000 miles. There is a light on the dash to tell me the process is starting/happening.

If you want a totally emission-free diesel vehicle, go 2006 or earlier. It's funny, I remember when people were going crazy when the catalytic converters came out in 1975..... and fully implemented in '79-'80. Same happened with shoulder seat belts with the buzzers.

Go with the environmentally friendly units. Save a tree. LOL! (just kidding). Buy and drive what you like, this is America.

A side note: Before catalytic converters, the Los Angeles smog was horrendous. You couldn't see houses off the I-10 Freeway, especially, in San Bernardino, CA. There is still some smog but 95% better. Low emission vehicles are important for our health.
MM.
Mr.Mark

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
IIRC Jan. 2010
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'