cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Do You Put Your Stuff in a Class B ??

DaveInVancouver
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to purchase a Class B but we're concerned about lack of storage space. Bedding, duvet, pillows ... will it really fit in the overhead cupboard? Where do I hide the fold up chairs, table, etc to sit outside? What about bikes when the spare tire is attached to the rear doors?

We'd like to do some long cross country trips. Appreciate on hearing how everyone copes.

We like the look & size of the Pleasure Way Plateau FL.

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
step up to a small C like LTV ,freedom serenity, you,ll not regret it.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We had a class B until recently. Not positive since we didn't have one, but I believe there are Thule bike carriers that can work with a rear tire. We met people who towed a small trailer for kayaks, but my perception is that towing would hamper the great advantage of a B's car-like qualities.

The amount of storage varies by model, of course - our Sprinter had fixed twin beds with a lot of long horizontal storage beneath and we didn't always need it all. Like most B owners, we got very good at winnowing down to only useful stuff and removing the rest. You prioritize daily items into the easiest-access storage - seems obvious, but takes a trip or two to get it right.

We also stored bedding at one end of the beds (rolled sleeping bags with homemade sheet liners, folded and stowed with the pillows in an overhead cabinet.

Part of the fun us finding small-space solutions. After wearing out several cheapies, we eventually bought Pico telescoping camping chairs - more pricey but solid and long-wearing. They fit in a small case.

You'll probably need do laundry and buy fresh groceries a little more often, but that was never a problem for us.

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my C, I made sure that everything was stowed in a cabinet either inside or out. Everything was in it's place and out of sight. When I got my B I tried to continue that way, but it's not possible. You need to get used to the fact some stuff just can't be put out of sight and that there might be somethings you have to move to get at something else and when you tire of doing that, you might find you really didn't need to bring it in the first place.

When I want to bring the maximum amount of stuff, I have a large plastic tote on wheels that rides in back. It is mostly out of the way and I can take it outside and chain it to a tree when camping.
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our PW Excel, we found that having a small trailer towed behind solved all our storage problems, it was a Pulmor trailer and was easily pushed around by hand. Also we used those plastic bags that you squeeze the air out and compress whatever is inside such as bedding; you'd be surprised how small you can make such stuff. And as NoVaRT hinted at above, you will need to make some changes in all the stuff you're used to taking along on your trips. Is it really needed or just nice to have "just in case".

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
You have to make some compromises, and fully utilize the "nooks & crannies" storage space. My Roadtrek has fairly large storage cabinets on either side of the air conditioner, and they happen to be a perfect fit for the medium size Ebag packing cubes. They're marketed as suitcase organizers, but they work great in the cabinets. I make do with a couple of chairs-in-a-bag for outside seating, and I'm able to fit a pop-up canopy and portable hammock in front of the electric sofa - they're covered when the sofa is in sleeping position, and are usually outside when we reach our destination. We have the RV Superbag for sleeping, and just fold it up and push it into a corner of the sofa - wouldn't try to fit it into a cabinet.

I'm pretty close to my limit, but others add storage boxes and bike racks to their receiver, or even tow a small trailer. Some of the Class B blogs have storage tips that might be helpful, too.
2013 RT 190-Popular