cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which diesel rig would you purchase?

Dollo
Explorer
Explorer
We have had an Itasca Suncruiser for about 16 years. Actually we are on our third one in that time frame. This last one has about 70,000 miles on it so we do use it, it is a 2005.

We want to move up to a diesel pusher. We have looked at the Tiffen Red, the Berkshire, Itasca diesels and a Thor.

If you were to buy one now, what would you go with?

If you have recently purchased, in the last few years, such a rig, are you happy with the one you have, would you do it differently?

I could use all the guidance I can get here so please be open and blunt with your opinions, thoughts and guidance. I think we would like to stay in the 38 foot range or so. If you have thoughts on that please share. Share any thoughts you may have on the issue at all.

Thank you.
52 REPLIES 52

Bruce_Brown
JimM68 wrote:
Thanks for your thanks.

Important to note that the DP vs gasser discussion really doesn't have anything to do with how many miles you drive. It's really a question of how much you are willing to spend. while newer gassers are better than the '99 F53 we had, it's still factual that a DP is better. Stronger, quieter, better on the road and more highly optioned and appointed. That is simply why they cost more. Not putting down any of my gasser brothers, we all buy what fits us best, for any number of reasons.

Floorplan is gonna be the key. Us, we wanted a separate bath, not a walkthrough, and considered anything with a TV covered by a slideout or 2 TV's in the same room to be simply silly. And that is how we ended up with out Monaco 40 SKQ. Others will have different needs and different opinions. Not wrong, just different.

True.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our 32' 2002 Itasca Horizon for 5 years and would be happy to stay with Itasca or Winnebago. Not to say we wouldn't look at other. We do need a short one though.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
Good post. good questions and some good answers.

You mentioned quality. Thor and forest River are generally though of as "entry level manufacturers"
Fleetwood, Winnebago, Itasca, and Tiffin are a step above.
Monaco & Newmar another step above.
Foretravel, Bluebird, and prevost, top of the chart.

It is true that most RV's use all the same systems and appliances.
It's also true that an ISB chassis, even a newer 6.7, is not in the same league with an ISC or ISL based chassis.

And Monaco... well you asked the wrong guy about that. I am a huge fan of Monaco's Roadmaster 8 air bag chassis. Unlike a skinny truck chassis with a trailing arm suspension, Roadmaster air bags are way out at the road. Foretravel uses a similar design at a much higher price point. Our Knight rides smooth and solid, and laughs at crosswinds and trucks we are passing.

On the emissions stuff, DEF fluid came in in 2010. In 2008 they started DPF particulate filters. We have that one and I hate it.

when we were shopping, we saw floorplans my DW liked in a new Itasca that we couldn't afford, and a new Berkshire and a sportcoach that we could.
I found a 3 year old Monaco with a similar floorplan and bought it for the same price, and never looked back.

Mr. Jim, I couldn't help but notice that you said that you have the particulate filter and hate it? Why?

We bought our new '08 coach in April '07. It was one of the first group of Cummins with the particulate filter. We have owned it for 7 yrs. and 65,000 miles and have not done anything to it.

Our seems go through a 'regeneration' cycle about once every 10,000 miles. I only notice it when the dash light illuminates to let me know.

Just wondered if you had problems with it as I've not heard many people who have.

Safe travels,
Mr. Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
getting pretty deep on this thread
X-2

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
getting pretty deep on this thread
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
A 30 footer might be not available in a diesel pusher, when you get down to that size you can get a rocking type of ride due to the wt. of the engine in the rear. A frontend diesel is available in 30ft, but can be very noisy to drive.
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
hershey wrote:
Tiffin has probably the best customer service of any. Plus they make really nice looking MH's.

X2 on that
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your thanks.

Important to note that the DP vs gasser discussion really doesn't have anything to do with how many miles you drive. It's really a question of how much you are willing to spend. while newer gassers are better than the '99 F53 we had, it's still factual that a DP is better. Stronger, quieter, better on the road and more highly optioned and appointed. That is simply why they cost more. Not putting down any of my gasser brothers, we all buy what fits us best, for any number of reasons.

Floorplan is gonna be the key. Us, we wanted a separate bath, not a walkthrough, and considered anything with a TV covered by a slideout or 2 TV's in the same room to be simply silly. And that is how we ended up with out Monaco 40 SKQ. Others will have different needs and different opinions. Not wrong, just different.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
I know you think that DP stands for Diesel Pickup but a DP knows the difference.

FordDiesel250 wrote:
Oops! I thought they meant a diesel engine for a power plant in a towing vehicle. My bad
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Bruce_Brown
OhhWell wrote:

Interesting. When would you say the 90's fleetwoods stopped being fecal matter, when the F53 V10 came out? Ours is nothing luxurious but it is very well built and I believe was considered a best-buy in the late 90s / early 2000s.

Maybe I should have said early 90 Fleetwoods. Our first (and only) Fleetwood was so bad had it been our first RV it would have been our last RV - it truly was that bad.

The early and mid-'00 Fleetwoods suffered some serious delamination issues along with the fiberglass checking many others also had.

In the late '00's we spent a fair portion of our daughters senior trip working on a newer Fleetwood DP, trying to get the slide drive system working. Once we had it working we couldn't get it completely sealed on both on the inside and out. Turns out we could never get it to seal in both places as the entire box was built out of square.
Bruce & Jill Brown

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago products (Winnebago and Itasca) come in other interiors other than white. Might have to order one as apparently who you have talked to only have them in white.
Camping with our grandkids and our dog I would have never chosen white.

We love ours we have put 18,000 miles on it since we got it in November 2011.

The DEF is a non issue for me.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
RayChez wrote:
Dollo wrote:
The kids, we have a 9 year old and a 13 year old, want the 38 ft bunkhouse. I would like the extra half bath that comes with the 38ft non-bunkhouse model.

We looked at the Itasca Meridan and the Solei models, in the same 38ft length. The 2014 Itasca's come in white seating, only. Not a godo mix with kids.

I am looking for a manufacturer that is known for quality. We would like to stay around 38 feet. I am hoping for a consus like "Tiffen is the way to go" and/or Avoid Fleetwood diesels, or guidance like that.

We were offered the Red in the bunkhouse model for $200k, and wonder if we could do better than that if we go that direction also.

Not true about avoiding Fleetwood. I have never owned one but Fleetwood like any other company makes entry level coaches and then they also manufacture high end coaches such as the Eagle. You can not find a better coach then a Eagle. Tiffin does not even come close to the quality of the high end Fleetwood coaches which used to be American coach lines.
I owned a Fleetwood in the 90's and there shop service was excellent!

The "avoid Fleetwood" was a question guys - not a statement.

Having said that Fleetwood of the 90's has nothing to do with Fleetwood of today - two totally seperate companies.

We owned a Fleetwood back in the 90's, biggest turd ever made. By most accounts the new Fleetwood is doing a nice job. I wouldn't touch an older Fleetwood, even an American, I wouldn't be afraid of a new Fleetwood at all.

Interesting. When would you say the 90's fleetwoods stopped being fecal matter, when the F53 V10 came out? Ours is nothing luxurious but it is very well built and I believe was considered a best-buy in the late 90s / early 2000s.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Bruce_Brown
J-Rooster wrote:
RayChez wrote:
Dollo wrote:
The kids, we have a 9 year old and a 13 year old, want the 38 ft bunkhouse. I would like the extra half bath that comes with the 38ft non-bunkhouse model.

We looked at the Itasca Meridan and the Solei models, in the same 38ft length. The 2014 Itasca's come in white seating, only. Not a godo mix with kids.

I am looking for a manufacturer that is known for quality. We would like to stay around 38 feet. I am hoping for a consus like "Tiffen is the way to go" and/or Avoid Fleetwood diesels, or guidance like that.

We were offered the Red in the bunkhouse model for $200k, and wonder if we could do better than that if we go that direction also.

Not true about avoiding Fleetwood. I have never owned one but Fleetwood like any other company makes entry level coaches and then they also manufacture high end coaches such as the Eagle. You can not find a better coach then a Eagle. Tiffin does not even come close to the quality of the high end Fleetwood coaches which used to be American coach lines.
I owned a Fleetwood in the 90's and there shop service was excellent!

The "avoid Fleetwood" was a question guys - not a statement.

Having said that Fleetwood of the 90's has nothing to do with Fleetwood of today - two totally seperate companies.

We owned a Fleetwood back in the 90's, biggest turd ever made. By most accounts the new Fleetwood is doing a nice job. I wouldn't touch an older Fleetwood, even an American, I wouldn't be afraid of a new Fleetwood at all.
Bruce & Jill Brown

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
If I ever decide to buy another coach it I would lean heavy towards American Revolution, Tradition, Eagle, and Heritage. All these coaches are well built. I would not mind having any of these coaches by American a division of Fleetwood.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision