cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who takes a motorcycle with them

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody here carry a big bike in a cruiser lift or hydra lift? I'm thinking about getting one and would like to hear from those who have them. Pros and cons, which would you recommend, etc. I'm kinda leaning toward the Cruiserlift. I think the winch may have less potential for problems than hydraulics.
36 REPLIES 36

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Larry and the OP,
Here's a picture of the "Utraguard" travel cover I used a few times. I too was concerned about etching the paint while in motion behind the coach. But, I did a bit of research and read many reviews on this cover prior to my purchasing of it. Of all the reports, not one mentioned any etching or rubbing of the paint, on any bike, Goldwing, Harley etc.

So, I purchased one and used it. But, as you'll see in the picture, it fits real well everywhere but the very bottom. And, if I would have taken the time to "re-work" that cover, I could get it to tuck up to the belly of the bike and then it would do a better job of sealing things up.

Larry, you're right, you don't cover them when you're riding them but, as you most likely know, those bikes don't get nearly as dirty when riding them as they do when they're hanging on the back of the coaches. The turbulence back there, along with some rain, makes them seriously ugly. But, the cover did "some" good. It wasn't quite as bad as no cover at all. And, absolutely no paint etching what so ever. Just some thoughts here.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
Covering the bike WAS one of my biggest concerns when I installed the lift. Talked to several and conclusion was this, you don't cover it when you are riding it do you??. Made sense to me. I just washed it and all was fine. Movement of the cover will rub the paint and possible remove the paint if left long enough. Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a gasser and pull ours on a trailer.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Tim fm ct,
Well Sir, this is a bit of a tough one. You see, in an enclosed trailer, it's not problem because, when you tie it down, the tie downs do not get in the way of a cover because there's no need for a cover INSIDE the trailer.

But, when you tie a bike down, either on a lift, like what I and many had and presently have, and or, inside the back of a pickup, the tie downs get in the way of really cinching down a good cover. Ultraguard makes a travel cover that has multiple straps, buckles, gathering points etc. that really make it snug to the bike. It even has little "slits" in it for possible places to run "some" tie downs through it.

Well, that's perfectly fine if, IF, your tie downs just happen to be placed on the bike and, tie to whatever you're tying to, in just the right spot. But, as in our case, they (all 6 tie downs) were no where near the slits provided so, that makes for a very difficult time to really "seal" up a bike to keep it from the elements/dirt/debris/salt/rain/ etc.

That cover, is by far, the best travel cover made. It's about as thick as a real good sleeping bag. And, it conforms to multiple, normal protrusions like the windshield, handle bars etc. And because of the multiple buckles and cinch points, it really CAN snug up extra tight so there's no possibility "etching" of the paint. This is not a flimsy "throw over" cover just to keep the sun off. This cover means business.

But, if one gets one of these covers, then a good upholsterer is needed to "fit" that cover on your bike, with tie downs in place so that appropriate slits can be inserted and then "Button hole stitched" to keep them from running or un-raveling.

The other problem is, even if you were to get that Ultraguard cover and, have it modified to accept all your tie downs, the problem is, install it and working with it in the confined space(s) between the bike and the side beds, and front. I know because I tried it. Other than an enclosed trailer, it's pretty tough to really seal a bike, especially a large cruiser, i.e. Goldwing, Harley Street or Ultra Glide, Yamaha Venture full dresser and more to the point that there's no possible infiltration of the exterior elements and contaminates. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

TimfmCT
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to get suggestions on protecting a motorcycle being towed on the back of a pick up.
This topic is the best I could fine using the search.
How do some of you protect your M/C from the salt etc when towing in the winter?
tim cm ct

B's Bunch wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
B's Bunch wrote:
I just installed a hydra lift and took a 1, 400 mile trip. Very satisfied. Had to learn to load and unload but other than that never had any issues hauling it along with toeing out 2012 focus. However there are concerns with the install. I think each is differant but doable. The way I installed mine I can install or remove in30 min. Or less. I really like this mount. Larry

Hey Larry,
Is that you Bud? Scott here. How's the Hydralift doing? Got all the "kinks" worked out and get the loading and unloading down? Hope all is well. Still thinking about taking you up on your offer for tours when we get back that way.

MNawman,
If Larry is who I think he is, he's got my old Hydralift. Without a doubt, the Hydralift is by far, the best lift/carrier on the market. I've thoroughly gone over all of them before I purchased and, while Hydralift is pretty proud of their product in terms of price, the quality and type of construction, mechanism, amount of moving parts, strength of moving parts and pivots, design of moving parts, are all superior to any other lift on the market.

When I say they're proud of their product, they are by far, the highest cost too. The last time I checked, a brand new Hydralift, hovers around $4,500, plus or minus. And that does not include tax and shipping. Hydralift, predominantly only ships to a "dealer/installer" of your choice when purchasing new. If you're lucky to find one used, it's up to you to get it to your location.

The durability, quality and assurance of their product is top shelf. Both the Cruiserlift and the Hydralift are powered by an electric motor but, one powers a hydraulic pump and one powers a winch. The dependability of hydraulics now days are outstanding. After all, about 99.99999999% of the jacks/levelers on todays coaches are all hydraulic. Very, very few folks have issues in terms of leaks or problems in the hydraulic side.

I used that Hydralift for over 8,000 miles on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 C-7 CAT and, never, repeat NEVER, had any issues of any type. That includes handling problems of any type, structural problems of any type, or anything related to that. The primary reason I sold it was because we were a bit over weight and, we wanted a change in toads. So, the Hydralift went bye-bye and we purchased a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab.

Now, we still wanted to carry the Honda Goldwing so, the intent was to purchase a "Rampage" lift/carrier for the truck. Well, that's our picture as of now.

As for your choice, if you were to put both lifts side by side, and watch the action of both, I'm pretty sure you'd like the Hydralift over the other. It all depends on just how much you want to spend.

Now, the second part of the equation. What kind of coach, length, engine, etc. do you have to mount this kind of weight on? The Hydralift itself weighs in the neighborhood of 300, plus or minus a few. Most of the "unknowing" will tell you about all kinds of issues you're going to have. Unless they've done it, and drove with it, and had that kind of weight addition back there, I don't put much faith in what many have to say. Larry will give you first and, new experience on just what kind of effects it had/has on his particular coach.

Ours, like stated, is a 36' diesel and it did flawless. I weighed our coach, front and rear prior to the lift install and the weight of the bike, and it removed exactly 100 lbs. off the front end. BIG DEAL!

The ride height sensors compensated for the additional weight and the coach road at the exact same stance fully loaded as it does now, with no lift or bike on it. Larry used the same mounting characteristics and components that I had. Although with a little "sneer" here, Larry's a bit slow on the removal of the lift for rear of the coach service. If I recall, start to finish, I could have that lift off the back in right close to 8 minutes. I'm sure he's got the process down though. LOL.

Anyway, as you can see and read, I'm definitely a fan of the Hydralift. And, I've got experience with both types of lift mechanisms. The Rampage lift utilizes a winch. Without a doubt, the winch system is antiquated and not near as positive as the hydraulic operation is. Your choice.
Scott
Hey Scott yes it is me. Had a great trip to OBX Not one problem with the lift. I removed the foot pegs on the crashbars and clearance issues went away. To the OP This Hydra Lift works as smooth as you could ask for. Distance from the ground from attachment point was my issues on install. HL recommends 22 inches or a little less for the angles to work. Never knew it was there and we towed a 2012 Focus along with it. Works for me. Larry
Tim fm CT in our home sweet dome
2005 Tiffin 32BA workhorse GM 8.1
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
2005 HD Superglide

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
B's Bunch wrote:
I just installed a hydra lift and took a 1, 400 mile trip. Very satisfied. Had to learn to load and unload but other than that never had any issues hauling it along with toeing out 2012 focus. However there are concerns with the install. I think each is differant but doable. The way I installed mine I can install or remove in30 min. Or less. I really like this mount. Larry

Hey Larry,
Is that you Bud? Scott here. How's the Hydralift doing? Got all the "kinks" worked out and get the loading and unloading down? Hope all is well. Still thinking about taking you up on your offer for tours when we get back that way.

MNawman,
If Larry is who I think he is, he's got my old Hydralift. Without a doubt, the Hydralift is by far, the best lift/carrier on the market. I've thoroughly gone over all of them before I purchased and, while Hydralift is pretty proud of their product in terms of price, the quality and type of construction, mechanism, amount of moving parts, strength of moving parts and pivots, design of moving parts, are all superior to any other lift on the market.

When I say they're proud of their product, they are by far, the highest cost too. The last time I checked, a brand new Hydralift, hovers around $4,500, plus or minus. And that does not include tax and shipping. Hydralift, predominantly only ships to a "dealer/installer" of your choice when purchasing new. If you're lucky to find one used, it's up to you to get it to your location.

The durability, quality and assurance of their product is top shelf. Both the Cruiserlift and the Hydralift are powered by an electric motor but, one powers a hydraulic pump and one powers a winch. The dependability of hydraulics now days are outstanding. After all, about 99.99999999% of the jacks/levelers on todays coaches are all hydraulic. Very, very few folks have issues in terms of leaks or problems in the hydraulic side.

I used that Hydralift for over 8,000 miles on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 C-7 CAT and, never, repeat NEVER, had any issues of any type. That includes handling problems of any type, structural problems of any type, or anything related to that. The primary reason I sold it was because we were a bit over weight and, we wanted a change in toads. So, the Hydralift went bye-bye and we purchased a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab.

Now, we still wanted to carry the Honda Goldwing so, the intent was to purchase a "Rampage" lift/carrier for the truck. Well, that's our picture as of now.

As for your choice, if you were to put both lifts side by side, and watch the action of both, I'm pretty sure you'd like the Hydralift over the other. It all depends on just how much you want to spend.

Now, the second part of the equation. What kind of coach, length, engine, etc. do you have to mount this kind of weight on? The Hydralift itself weighs in the neighborhood of 300, plus or minus a few. Most of the "unknowing" will tell you about all kinds of issues you're going to have. Unless they've done it, and drove with it, and had that kind of weight addition back there, I don't put much faith in what many have to say. Larry will give you first and, new experience on just what kind of effects it had/has on his particular coach.

Ours, like stated, is a 36' diesel and it did flawless. I weighed our coach, front and rear prior to the lift install and the weight of the bike, and it removed exactly 100 lbs. off the front end. BIG DEAL!

The ride height sensors compensated for the additional weight and the coach road at the exact same stance fully loaded as it does now, with no lift or bike on it. Larry used the same mounting characteristics and components that I had. Although with a little "sneer" here, Larry's a bit slow on the removal of the lift for rear of the coach service. If I recall, start to finish, I could have that lift off the back in right close to 8 minutes. I'm sure he's got the process down though. LOL.

Anyway, as you can see and read, I'm definitely a fan of the Hydralift. And, I've got experience with both types of lift mechanisms. The Rampage lift utilizes a winch. Without a doubt, the winch system is antiquated and not near as positive as the hydraulic operation is. Your choice.
Scott
Hey Scott yes it is me. Had a great trip to OBX Not one problem with the lift. I removed the foot pegs on the crashbars and clearance issues went away. To the OP This Hydra Lift works as smooth as you could ask for. Distance from the ground from attachment point was my issues on install. HL recommends 22 inches or a little less for the angles to work. Never knew it was there and we towed a 2012 Focus along with it. Works for me. Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

4ever16
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the Cruiser Lift for 5 years..hauling a Harley Ultra Classic all across the country. We have not taken a toad with us. With the Cruiser Lift it has the ability of also pulling a 4 down toad. Lift comes with an extension that allows this as long as hitch weigh is not over 5o lbs. Just thought I would throw this in for your consideration.
Enjoy your RV...
Butch

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
MNawman wrote:
Thanks for all the great info guys! I guess I should mention that I have a 42 ft Entegra with a tag axel and will be pulling a Jeep. I really wanted to avoid a trailer or dolly, more axels, tires, and registration, not to mention having to park it at a campground. The Hydralift sounds good. I guess I ll just have to save my pennies. Thanks again guys!

MNawman,
I've sent you a couple of PMs with links to ones for sale in the AZ area. I don't know where you live in relation to these ones for sale but, when we bought our HL used, it was a six hour drive, each way. But, the savings were well worth it. Even in gas and two hotel rooms (we were not in a hurry to get home so, we hoteled it, both ways) we still saved well over half price of a new one. I also don't know how skilled you are in fabrication but, I calculated I also would save around $1500-$2000 by doing the install myself.

As I stated earlier, I set that lift up with hydraulic line "quick release" and on the electric side, I used a "Weathpack" GM weather connector. So, when it came time to remove the lift, for engine service or, we just weren't going to carry the bike for the upcoming trip, it took me, completely alone, right at 8 minutes to have that lift off the coach.

If and when you get one, it would behoove you to do the same. Have a hydraulic shop or, even some well equipped Napa auto parts stores can set your system up so the hydraulics have quick disconnects. Then, any weather tight electrical plug will work. A couple of Harbor Freight Polyurethane furniture dollies will handle the load very easily. Now, you're clear to do work on the coach or, take it in for repairs and not have the lift in the way.

We've hauled our Wings in totally enclosed trailers, on lifts on the back of the coach and now, on a Rampage lift, in the back of our GMC Sierra 4x4 Extended Cab. Other than the enclosed trailer method, we've always towed a toad too. As you can read, many carry or, take along motorcycles along with a toad. Each way of doing it has benefits and pitfalls. Doing a completely enclosed trailer is by far, hands down, the cleanest, most secure method. Your bike is completely out of the weather and elements and free from road grime.

But, unless you've got fairly serious HORSE POWER in your coach, trying to haul both a full sized touring motorcycle AND A VEHICLE, inside a fully enclosed trailer is out of the question for a very large percentage of us. Not to mention that, if you travel in the mode like we do, in the form of "No destination, no time frame", you're many times at the mercy of not knowing if a campground can handle that kind of length.

So, carrying the bike, or, as we do now, putting it in the back of a full sized, or, some do it in a smaller (Ford Ranger style) pickup is a viable alternative. That way, a toad is there for foul weather trips and, when the weather permits, the bike is there for the fun runs.

Whether one chooses a Hydralift, of a Cruiserlift, or an "Overbuilt" or even the "Blue-Ox" version, is of course up to them. I really wanted a Hydralift because in my opinion and experience with hydraulics in over 35 years of fire department trucks and more, they're superior in operation to winch operated mechanisms. But, I was not ready to jump in and pay upwards of $4,500.00 for one and, then, figure out how to get it shipped to our home because Hydralift will not ship to a residence, only to an authorized installer.

So, I got lucky, the DW found one on ebay, and, we worked out a deal, and I got it for way less than half price. All we had to do was, GO PICK IT UP.

Now, in our change, as stated, we now use the Rampage Motorcycle lift for pickups. They want, in the neighborhood of almost $3,000.00 for a new one. Well, we scowered the C/L and ebay and found two, within six hours of us. So, I called on one, made the deal on a used one, that been used twice and, again, made the deal and drove to pick it up. Again, for way less than half price.

So, as has been stated, if you look around, you'll find what you want. You might have to be patient and, you also might have to be ready to JUMP on one and, GO GET IT. Anyway, take a look around, and especially at the ones I sent you. Good luck.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great info guys! I guess I should mention that I have a 42 ft Entegra with a tag axel and will be pulling a Jeep. I really wanted to avoid a trailer or dolly, more axels, tires, and registration, not to mention having to park it at a campground. The Hydralift sounds good. I guess I ll just have to save my pennies. Thanks again guys!

waltfire
Explorer
Explorer
You need to look at race city RV products, you can tow the car and bike and not worry about overloading. Plus if you need to tow the bike for break downs you won't have to move mh.

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a 2004 HD Ultra Classic but in our enclosed trailer so I don't have one of our own. However, my cousin is a dealer here in Utah for Hydralift and I can tell you if you if you look at both seperately and look at the features/components, both are impressive. However, if you compare the two (Hydralift and Cruiserlift) side by side you will definately see a difference and the price reflects this, but quality isn't cheap. The Hydralift is hands down more robust and smooth in operation. The hydraulics operate flawlessly and like Scott mentioned earlier in his post that hydraulics are for the most part trouble free. After all look at all of the hydraulics on RV's as well as all of the off-road construction equipment and OTR trucks.

My cousin has his powder coated the match his 1998 Monaco Signature and it as nice looking and well fabricated piece of equipment. I have been present and watched/assisted on several of the installations that they have done in their shop. He continues to try to talk me into one to haul my HD Ultra Classic on but I won't give up the enclosed trailer to haul my bike in vs. open on the back of my coach. There are a lot of pros to using a motorcycle lift on the back of the coach but there are some cons as well.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to carry our R1200GS in the back of our Silverado 4X4 towed 4 down. I have a Big Boy2 ramp. I also have a removable wheel chock in the bed. Loading the bike is an exercise in skill. The ramp must be long enough or you will have approach and departure angle problems. The pick up bed must have traction, something other than slick paint for sure. The ramp must be approached with the right momentum and your feet may not be able touch down.

That all said the ramp is about ~$500 instead of $4500. The Chock was about $125. My bike weighs just a little over 500lbs.

Check to see what your bike manufacturer recommends for tie down points, mine specifically says the handlebars are verboten.

There are also dollies and trailers designed to carry bikes alone or with a vehicle. Lots of choices.

Good luck shopping.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

Wingn
Explorer
Explorer
We carry our motorcycle on a Blue Ox/Overbilt sportlift installed in the bed of our truck that is towed 4 down. Very easy to load and unload, also this gives us the option to load and unload when we want. Have used this system for over 6 years and many miles with no problems.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
jerseyjim wrote:
Owning a Harley "Dresser"...some 750 pounds...and doing what I thought was complete research on the subject, I've come to a conclusion that:

If you own a DP, these lifts should not be a problem.
If your own a gasser, get a trailer.

Just my opinion after researching....FWIW.

People seem to forget what Archimedes said, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."

Bear in mind that your rear axle is the fulcrum and the distance from the rear axle to the rear bumper is the lever. The longer that lever is, the less weight needed to raise the front axle off the road. If you look at the mechanics of a DP there's usually a pretty short distance between the rear axle and the rear bumper. That's not the case for most gassers which in many cases have frame extensions added behind the rear axle. So jerseyjim's rule of thumb advice is right on target.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Owning a Harley "Dresser"...some 750 pounds...and doing what I thought was complete research on the subject, I've come to a conclusion that:

If you own a DP, these lifts should not be a problem.
If your own a gasser, get a trailer.

Just my opinion after researching....FWIW.