Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would anyone want an outside TV?

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking at "A"s on line.

After I sell my house I plan on trading the 5ver for an A and full timing it.

All the As that most dealers have in stock new and used have ann outside TV. I do not understand why anyone would watch TV outside (other than a baseball or football game).
If the weather is nice outside I would rather take the dogs for a walk or do some kind of physical activity such as horse shoes. I can understand why a outside shower is useful and a outside stove are nice but I prefer a charcoal grill. But sitting outside watching TV seems useless, heck I would rather people watch (watching people walk by).

Outside TVs must be popular because almost every A that I see has one but I was wondering if many people on this forum have a outside TV and if you do, do you enjoy having it?
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.
169 REPLIES 169

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Btuce,
That's a great idea, and excellent execution. What a perfect use for that space. It took a smart person with lots of RVing years under the belt to come up with this. Most of the workers at Newmar hardly ever get a chance to do serious RVing.
I would copy everthing about it, except that we never watch TV outside. Thanks
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Bruce_Brown
Cloud Dancer wrote:
Apparently, I'm more happy with a basement full of junk. There's no room for a entertainment center. Besides, we don't watch TV outdoors.

Sure there is. Use the basically blank spot where the tanks are. Newmar does a nice job of leaving enough room for a new flat panel.

We went from this;

to this in 2 short nights in the garage;

Here it is start to finish.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Dang WW,
I only have two phones, one jetpack, two tablets and two kindles, plus two laptops for the two of us. I'm going to have to get a couple more phones.

We also are short one TV, one over the windshield, one facing the other way in the dining area, one in the bedroom and of course one outside which I turn on while grilling so I don't miss the news or Antiques Roadshow:) We are not much for sitting outside with the TV on, generally it is more comfortable to watch inside.

When we are out, we are looking forward to meeting and greeting our neighbors. Of course we seldom have kids on board and when we do they all have very limited screen time which they would rather spend on their devices then on TV.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
I read books. Audiobooks.
I listen to the radio.
I have music on my phone.
I have 5 TVs in my motor home.
One is outside, and I watch it. I love it, sometimes. When I am not listening to music, an audiobook, or chatting with my wife.

Why is it anyone's business what I do? I paid for it, I enjoy it all.

Lighten up, Francis.

WW
OK, when I read this, I thought "FIVE TVs!!!" In a motorhome?!?!?!

I figured 1-bedroom; 1-living area; 1-outside. Where in the heck would you put the other two? In the bathroom and cab area?

So I had to check it out. Doesn't sound as wild when you add "2 are small fold down TVs for the 2 bunk beds"... 🙂
The TVs in the bunk bed don't really count. They are DVD players only. So WW only has 3 TVs.

Don't laugh, but I've got two big screens in the living area, one in the bedroom, one on the outside and two DVD players in the bunks. I could have deleted them from the order but I figured they would be good for resale one day. I hardly watch them.

One in bedroom, one in bunk area (i added for Sat TV), one in galley, one over driver, one outside. Plus the 2 DVD players in the bunks. 5 (five) + 2 (two) dvd players.

We travel with 4 cell phones and a WiFi point as well. Is that too many electronics?

Just checking. I always do what everyone else is.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a capability for ouside tv. I use it fairly often. Yes, even in close quarter camping areas. My TV is not blaring.. I have asked neighbors if it bothers them and they can't even hear it, so I know Im not disturbing them. If I was, I would adjust.

I spent the week at a RV resort in Florida. It was jam packed. Walking around the park, there were a fair amount of people watching TV outside. I could NOT hear their TV from the road, which was only, probably 20 ft away. So, the claims of some that it will disturb others, I think is a bit overexaggerated.

If people want to watch TV, browse the internet, hang out reading a book, or whatever while they are camping, more power to them. Everyone relaxes differently. Just get out there and enjoy yourself and don't worry about the other guy and what he does.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Apparently, I'm more happy with a basement full of junk. There's no room for a entertainment center. Besides, we don't watch TV outdoors.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
At the bottom of the picture above you can see the ears of the FM transmitter and by the headphones the RX.
One of these for $1

and one of these for $0.70.

Or just two of the above... $1.40
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
How do you get three headphones to work off one tv?

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Today I'd buy something like this:

There are three headphones in this picture of my outside TV:
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
I agree. Outside tv, radio, speakers, all a big mistake in the rv world.

So true in close quarters campgrounds.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
I listen to the radio.
One is outside, and I watch it. I love it, sometimes. When I am not listening to music, an audiobook, or chatting with my wife.

Lighten up, Francis.

WW

I figured 1-bedroom; 1-living area; 1-outside. Where in the heck would you put the other two? In the bathroom and cab area?

So I had to check it out. Doesn't sound as wild when you add "2 are small fold down TVs for the 2 bunk beds"... 🙂
The TVs in the bunk bed don't really count. They are DVD players only. So WW only has 3 TVs.

Don't laugh, but I've got two big screens in the living area, one in the bedroom, one on the outside and two DVD players in the bunks. I could have deleted them from the order but I figured they would be good for resale one day. I hardly watch them.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
dubdub07 wrote:
I listen to the radio.

Lighten up, Francis.

WW

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
I listen to the radio.

Lighten up, Francis.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
U have used it but rarely and I watch a lot of sports. I don't sit outside a lot. When outside I do walk the dogs.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
louie david wrote:
Lucky for some of us there are still places you can go without cell towers and internet connections.

That's great for a weekend or if you do not own your own business.
Eight posts in less than five hours and it's only been winter a couple of weeks.... Welcome to the forums.